• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

leeds to Douglas isle of man

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Hello,

Looking to do this journey over the next few weeks (exact dates flexible). Would want two near-full days on the island (example travel monday night/arrive tues morning, hotel tuesday night, return journey wednesday evening). Could have two nights there if this fits better with sailings.

One adult no railcard eligibility.

I see a 'low saver return' of £65.00 valid on monday tue wed thur only (outward on date, return within one month.

Can anyone suggest anything better? I would consider flying possibly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Not a bad price. The boat is generally £40rtn at best.

Easyjets daily return flight is about £34rtn no bags at best.

So £65 rtn from leeds isn't bad to be fair.

(I reckon the low saver is £90. You mean the economy return for £65)

sonic2009

Established Member
It's Manx2 who fly to the Isle of Man from Leeds Bradford.

The cost with them for a return looking at their website is £119

Established Member
Train is probably the best option, although the routeing of the Douglas IOM ticket is strange (apparently if I travel from Newcastle I can't go to Leeds and use the direct Leeds - Heysham train).

Established Member
I was always under the impression they are all for route - Liverpool.

sonic2009

Established Member
I think the routeing is different depending on which ticket you purchase, so i remember being told by FGW at Cheltenham.

Someone with access to the manual or who works in a ticket office may be able to explain more.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

lyndhurst25

Established Member
AFAIK you can choose go via Liverpool or Heysham on any Douglas IOM ticket. That's what it says in my copy of NFM97 RailLinks and I'm not aware of any changes since then.

With regards to the Newcastle to Heysham route disallowing the use of the Leeds to Heysham boat-train, I think that there must be an error in the Routing Guide. What it allows for Newcastle Group to Lancaster Group are:-

GN+NC (Newcastle-Carlisle-Lancaster)
TP+MH+NC (Newcastle-Leeds-Blackburn-Preston-Lancaster or Newcastle-Leeds-Manchester-Blackburn-Preston-Lancaster)

but strangely TP+NC is missing to allow Newcastle-Leeds-Hellifield-Lancaster. That surely can't be deliberate?

cuccir

Established Member
AFAIK you can choose go via Liverpool or Heysham on any Douglas IOM ticket. That's what it says in my copy of NFM97 RailLinks and I'm not aware of any changes since then.

With regards to the Newcastle to Heysham route disallowing the use of the Leeds to Heysham boat-train, I think that there must be an error in the Routing Guide. What it allows for Newcastle Group to Lancaster Group are:-

GN+NC (Newcastle-Carlisle-Lancaster)
TP+MH+NC (Newcastle-Leeds-Blackburn-Preston-Lancaster or Newcastle-Leeds-Manchester-Blackburn-Preston-Lancaster)

but strangely TP+NC is missing to allow Newcastle-Leeds-Hellifield-Lancaster. That surely can't be deliberate?

I've tried to work this out before. The only (normal) permitted cross-pennine route from Newcastle to Lancaster stations is via Carlisle.

TP+MH+NC doesn't actually allow Newcastle-Leeds-Blackburn-Preston as you have to travel on all maps in order. The only route possible using this combination takes you via Manchester-Bolton-Blackburn-Preston/Hellifield. Map MH doesn't have the stretch of track between Bolton and Preston on it, discounting WCML, and also doesn't include any of the Leeds-Preton line. I've queried this before on here (though not officially!) and the consensus was that you can't pass-over a map at a station (if you could count being at Blackburn station as being OK for using map MH then you can use the Leeds-Preston route).

I've no idea if it's deliberate or not - certainly, it must send a significantly higher proportion of revenue for these tickets to Northern and Virgin. The various routeing/booking engines all disagree with whether these routes are allowed or not - but try Newcastle to Morecambe via Accrington, and you'll see that NRE won't let you buy one ticket. On the other hand, it will let you travel via the WCML between Manchester and Preston, and I don't see how this is valid on those maps.

I suspect that most guards wouldn't be bothered if you were 'off route' on these services, but technically I don't think it's possible.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Yes, you're right - I've misread the maps.

Newcastle-Leeds-Blackburn-Preston-Lancaster would be allowed by TP+NC but not by TP+MH+NC. So another perfectly reasonable route is officially barred, while crazy ones are allowed! Surely TP+NC should be in the Routing Guide for Newcastle to Lancaster. Can anyone check older versions of the Guide to see if these routes were allowed in the past?

34D

Established Member

Many thanks to all. My planned route would be the direct Heysham train both ways, hopefully to get some class 142 mileage in.

Established Member
Routing Guide aside, who'd want to go via Heysham? It's pretty borin' ;)

I'm off to the IOM to see family again next week. Always go via Liverpool, much nicer places to stop for a pie & a pint going that way.

Established Member
Less vomit inducing (marginally)

Less prone to breaking down

Not on the Ben-My-Chree? Been ill going from Heysham few times on it. Even got stuck in Douglas one day after Heysham dropped the gangway off it's side. :(

34D

Established Member
Can someone confirm that I can purchase this ticket on the morning of travel from my local station?

Nothing needs to be done in advance? No quotas on the boat?

Its just I see that the TVM doesn't offer it, and neither does the east coast website.... getting a little concerned as I have hotels booked......

Thanks

John @ home

Established Member
Can someone confirm that I can purchase this ticket on the morning of travel from my local station?
The Manual includes:
The Manual -> Shipping Links -> Isle ofMan - Douglas

Reservations

Reservations are compulsory on all sailings. Those customers without Boat/Seacat reservations may not be able to travel.
If I were purchasing a Leeds to Douglas IoM ticket, I would pop into Leeds travel centre a couple of days before travel and make a reservation.

34D

Established Member
The Manual includes:
If I were purchasing a Leeds to Douglas IoM ticket, I would pop into Leeds travel centre a couple of days before travel and make a reservation.

This was exactly what I did this lunchtime. Clerk knew all about the ticket (even knowing the time the boat left Douglas) and I was issued with the travel ticket (out and return portions) and a reservation Heysham-Douglas and Douglas-Heysham. Price £65 as expected.

He did tell me that I shouldn't have left it until the day of travel.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
You can buy it on the day of travel, but are dependant on space being available on the boat.

34D

Established Member
Thanks all. Could I trouble someone to tell me whether there is a time or BOJ restriction. I may want to take the 08:19 Leeds-Morecambe and break there.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I believe there is a day restriction where the cheaper ticket cannot be used on Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays in the summer, but there are no time restrictions on the day itself.

John @ home

Established Member
Could I trouble someone to tell me whether there is a time or BOJ restriction.
The Avantix Traveller CD shows that the £65 Economy Return (ECR) Leeds - Douglas IOM route Isle of Man SPC has Validity Code 6N.
Validity Code 6N

VIRGIN ECONOMY TO ISLE OF MAN

OUTWARD TRAVEL
Valid only on date shown.

RETURN TRAVEL
Valid on date shown or within one calendar month.
I am surprised that this does not mention the restriction in The Manual:
Fare Validities

Economy Return (ECR)
Valid on all days except all Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays between June and September inclusive.
This suggests to me that return rail travel is allowed on any day of the week.

34D

Established Member
Thanks all. John, I do recall seeing something (somewhere, on NFM11) that mentioned mon-thur. I'll try to look tomorrow.

I do wish that avantix could emphasise that there is a quota on the boat though. I do see that the bastian of travel beyond the B.R. Network (the man in seat 61) says that a ferry reservation isn't essential but is very much recommended http://www.seat61.com/Isle-of-Man.htm

bkhtele

On a related theme can anyone help? Does anyone know the validity restrictions for the economy return midweek from/to Swindon, could I travel via London? I can't find them on the National rail website. I fancy a trip to Douglas!

John @ home

Established Member
Does anyone know the validity restrictions for the economy return midweek from/to Swindon,
The £98.50 Economy Return Swindon Wilts - Douglas IoM route + Isle of Man SPC also has Validity Code 6N - see post #20 above.
could I travel via London?
Yes, and the '+' in the route description indicates the tickets will operate the Underground ticket gates between London termini.

34D

Established Member
On the Ben coming back to the mainland.

Have first class fares ever been available to the Isle of Man? If not, I wonder whether they ought to be considered?

Any such ticket ought of course include first class travel on ATOC member services as well as use of the Premium lounge on board.

My only other comment is that places where XYZ-Douglas has no (or minimal) permitted first class services (example Skipton) then the percentage uplift should be lower than London or Birmingham where the passenger has premium first class service.

Status
Not open for further replies.