• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds to Glasgow Excess Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomer

Hello all,

Need to go to Glasgow from Leeds at fairly short notice some time in the next couple of weeks. Looking at arriving for an afternoon meeting of unknown length and then returning.

In terms of timing the slightly slower via Appleby route seems good value at £59. http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=LDS&dest=0433&rte=10&tkt=SOR

Looking at taking the 0748 from Leeds via Settle-Carlisle then upwards from there.

Couple of questions:

1) Does anybody know how the Northern timetable amendments have or will impact this journey? NRE is just showing a warning but no cancellation on this service.

2) Am I correct in thinking I can excess the return portion of the ticket to any permitted at half the cost difference for that portion of the journey (If I wished to take a different route rather than waiting for the Northern service). Presumably best to do so at a ticket office before journey but in theory completely acceptable on train if necessary?

SOR via Appleby = 59 / 2 = 29.50
Off Peak Return via any permitted = 107.10 / 2 = 53.55
So excess payable would be £24.05

Does this seen correct the maths of working this is out is just not happening in my head at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
There are no Northern timetable amendments for the S and C except for strikes

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
2) Am I correct in thinking I can excess the return portion of the ticket to any permitted at half the cost difference for that portion of the journey (If I wished to take a different route rather than waiting for the Northern service). Presumably best to do so at a ticket office before journey but in theory completely acceptable on train if necessary?
Yes - you can do it either at any ticket office or onboard the train. There is no penalty for doing so on the train, provided there is no suggestion you are attempting to evade the excess(!).

SOR via Appleby = 59 / 2 = 29.50
Off Peak Return via any permitted = 107.10 / 2 = 53.55
So excess payable would be £24.05

Does this seen correct the maths of working this is out is just not happening in my head at all.
Your calculations are correct, although I would usually calculate it as (£107.10 - £59) ÷ 2 = £24.05.

Randomer

Thanks for the swift replies all.

Perusing the ticketing guide can I upgrade to the TOC specific ticket from one only restricted by route?

I.E.
Any Time Return route via Appleby = £59
Off Peak Return route TPE only = £89.90
Excess due for second part of journey = £15.45

I'm clear that you cannot do so the other way round according to other stuff I have read on the forums but can't find a clear answer whether this would fulfil the "Appropriate ticket type" bit of the guidance.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks for the swift replies all.

Perusing the ticketing guide can I upgrade to the TOC specific ticket from one only restricted by route?

I.E.
Any Time Return route via Appleby = £59
Off Peak Return route TPE only = £89.90
Excess due for second part of journey = £15.45

I'm clear that you cannot do so the other way round according to other stuff I have read on the forums but can't find a clear answer whether this would fulfil the "Appropriate ticket type" bit of the guidance.
I suspect some ticket offices would say they had been issued with guidance telling them not to do it, whereas other ticket offices would do it just fine.

John @ home

Established Member
A potential problem is that the £59 Anytime Return Leeds - Glasgow Cen/QSt via Appleby carries no time restriction, whereas the £89.90 Off-Peak Return Leeds - Glasgow Cen/QSt route TPE Only is restricted for outward travel on Mondays to Fridays, being "not valid on trains timed to depart after 04:29 and before 08:30".

If I wanted to obtain this excess fare for the return leg of the journey only, I would expect to be asked to demonstrate that I had not in fact used the outward leg of the ticket at a restricted time. I would make sure that I carried, for example, the outward portion of the ticket (and, if necessary, the reservation voucher) showing that I had travelled at an unrestricted time.

If I was unable to demonstrate this, and I was travelling wholly by TPE on the return leg, I would expect to be asked for the excess to the £122 Anytime Return Leeds - Glasgow Cen/QSt route TPE Only, at a cost of (£122 - £59) ÷ 2 = £31.50.

Randomer

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the concept here but surely the most appropriate ticket is the one valid at the time for the return journey regardless of what time the outward journey occurred. You are paying the excess for the return portion only after all.

I.e. if you could not excess the TPE only ticket you would be unable to excess from any Peak to Off Peak ticket without proof of journey time. Which on services without reservations which Northern for example don't offer would be impossible. (They also don't tend to use ticket stampers just a pen with date of travel circled but that is a whole different story).

Status
Not open for further replies.