• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds to Wigan direct trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
With the Manchester/Northern Hub proposals being so big some things haven't been well publicised and I think I've just found one. It's been reported Wigan will have more and faster Manchester services but one recommendation is for a Calder Vale service to be extended to Wigan.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I suspect that may be combining an existing Leeds-Manchester Victoria service with a Manchester Victoria-Wigan Wallgate stopper.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I suspect that may be combining an existing Leeds-Manchester Victoria service with a Manchester Victoria-Wigan Wallgate stopper.

Either that or extending the Wigan - Rochdale service?

Either way, it avoids services terminating at Manchester Victoria, which isn't really designed for such things - might as well bung them out the other side as a "through" service, even if there isn't much demand for through journeys (apart from Rugby League traffic from Leeds/Bradford to Wigan).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
With the Manchester/Northern Hub proposals being so big some things haven't been well publicised and I think I've just found one. It's been reported Wigan will have more and faster Manchester services but one recommendation is for a Caldervale service to be extended to Wigan.

Did it say Wigan Wallgate or Wigan North Western as the station to which the service might be extended, as Wigan North Western would give connectional links onward, providing that the current bay platform works would allow a terminal service there, subject to the normal bay platform usage.

WatcherZero

Established Member
People need to remember that NR merley identifies need and creates capacity, they dont really influence the shape of services that operate on the increased capacity. For example Northern in the timetable change have designed a new schedule that increases peak capacity with more splitting and shorter turnaround times, it means some additional peak or just past peak journeys to get to splitting points. The net result is they need more drivers but stock is less intensivley used in the offpeak so they make it up on lower fuel and maintenence costs.

pemma

Veteran Member
Either that or extending the Wigan - Rochdale service?

There is no mention of an enhanced frequency between Manchester and Leeds via Halifax. There is a mention of an additional Huddersfield/Halifax to Leeds via Bradford service.

pemma

Veteran Member
Looking at it the Atherton line bit of the document, there is a suggestion that there could be an additional Manchester-Wigan via Atherton service that will run semi-fast.

button_boxer

Established Member
I'm sure there must be some large stations where the walk from the platform at one end to the platform at the other is further than the transfer from Wallgate to North Western...

WatcherZero

Established Member
Piccadilly has the benefit of the travelators but I think entrance to entrance Picc is longer but platform to platform Wigan is longer.

Google Earth and path tool.... Wigan 200m almost exactly from platform entrance to platform entrance, Picc 170m from the middle of platform 1, 250m from the very end of platform 1, Wigan over 400m platform middle to platform middle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.