• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Left Hand Drive Double Deckers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a member of a couple of old bus groups on F/B and from time to time old UK buses turn up being used for sight seeing in the USA but still Right Hand Drive (RDH)

This got me thinking, I am aware the double Deckers tend to be a UK and Eire thing, but are there other countries that drive on the right that use them in significant numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CM

I am a member of a couple of old bus groups on F/B and from time to time old UK buses turn up being used for sight seeing in the USA but still RHD. This got me thinking, I am aware the double Decker's tend to be a UK and Eire thing, but are there other countries that drive on the right that use them in significant numbers?

Outside the UK Berlin is probably the biggest user of LHD Double Deckers although I'm pretty sure there is other places that use LHD Deckers in smaller numbers.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Lisbon used to have lhd AEC Regents, and Paris had a few lhd dds in the mid 1970s at least on route 64, which are the only ones I've seen with my own eyes.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Iraq was a fairly big Atlantean customer - I don't have sources to hand, but I think Iran may have have had a sizeable fleet of LHD half-cabs - perhaps AEC Regents?

EDIT - source ("Blue Triangle", Alan Townsin) confirms that there were 250 Left-hand drive AEC Regent Vs supplied to Teheran in 1958, followed by a further 200 in 1966.

Don't forget Sweden - Stockholm ordered Atlanteans and Panthers in LHD form when they switched over from driving on the left to the right.

Last edited:

Ant158

Hong Kong and Singapore spring to mind as using right hand drive deckers.

CM

Hong Kong and Singapore spring to mind as using right hand drive deckers.

The subject is left-hand drive deckers... There wouldn't be much point in creating a topic for right-hand drive deckers as most people already know where they operate.

Hophead

Established Member
There are increasing numbers of Enviro 500s in North America (Canada, The States and even Mexico now as well, I think).

Swiss Postal Service also has a small fleet of similar buses.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Opentopbus.net is a good source of information for open top buses around the world, a lot of which are LHD. Beijing and Xian had fleets of double deckers when I was there in 2000. Gibraltar also has some double deckers.

radamfi

Established Member
Skopje, the capital of North Macedonia, bought a whole fleet of Chinese built Routemaster lookalike double deckers about 10 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yutong_City_Master

The Netherlands has been a recent convert to double deckers but only for express routes.

https://wiki.ovinnederland.nl/wiki/Lijn_346_Haarlem_Station_-_Amsterdam_Station_Zuid
https://wiki.ovinnederland.nl/wiki/Lijn_300_Groningen_Centraal_Station_-_Emmen_Station

Similarly for Swiss Postbus routes.

Double deckers are less suitable than articulated buses on urban stopping services due to longer dwell times.

Long distance coaches, for example Flixbus and IC Bus, are commonly double decker.

Mikey C

Established Member
There are increasing numbers of Enviro 500s in North America (Canada, The States and even Mexico now as well, I think).

Swiss Postal Service also has a small fleet of similar buses.

Yes, ADL have done a good job selling E500s into North America. Las Vegas has had a large fleet of E500s since 2005 for example, it was quite nice to take a British bus down "The Strip"!

TRAX

Established Member
Liechtenstein has a few Lion’s City DDs.

Lisbon used to have lhd AEC Regents, and Paris had a few lhd dds in the mid 1970s at least on route 64, which are the only ones I've seen with my own eyes.

That would be 94, and it indeed wasn’t the only one.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
To be fair, the OP mentions RHD without actually giving a definition. I used LHD without clarifying too, so I'm just as guilty. Forum rules require that acronyms, abbreviations etc are clearly explained at the outset.

TRAX

Established Member
LHD means steering wheel on the left.
And the first post clearly talks about countries which "drive on the right".

alangla

City Sightseeing San Francisco have a fleet of some sort of unknown US type open top double deckers, one thing I remember about them was horrendous static shocks every time you touched anything! You’ll also find LHD open tops in loads of European cities, Ayats bodies seem to be the favourite. Last time I was in Amsterdam I noticed some of the open toppers are now battery powered rather than diesel, helpfully painted green too. Finally, last time I was in Reykjavik, the tour was a closed top East Lancs decker, I’m sure that was LHD.

ChrisPJ

There was a batch or two of Optare Spectra built LHD for export fairly early on in the production run. But I can’t remember where to

Springs Branch

Established Member
For some reason, I had in mind there are three locations in Germany operating double-deck city buses.

Berlin is best known, but there's also OVA, the local agency in Aalen, a small city in Baden-Württemberg, southern Germany.
OVA has been a consistent operator of urban double deckers for about 50 years.
According to Wiki, OVA has 10 city Doppeldeckerbusse in a fleet totalling 51. For example:

640px-DoppeldeckerbusOVA.JPG

DoppeldeckerbusOVA Clemens Rainer Pohl [CC BY-SA 3.0 de (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/de/deed.en)], via Wikimedia Commons

A drive-past of a more recent example at:

As for the third German city - I can't remember (and maybe this number was not accurate)

My apologies for not being clearer in my first post, it has been edited by the mods now, yes I meant buses that have the steering on the correct side to be used in countries that drive on the right!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
For some reason, I had in mind there are three locations in Germany operating double-deck city buses.

Berlin is best known, but there's also OVA, the local agency in Aalen, a small city in Baden-Württemberg, southern Germany.
OVA has been a consistent operator of urban double deckers for about 50 years.
According to Wiki, OVA has 10 city Doppeldeckerbusse in a fleet totalling 51. For example:

640px-DoppeldeckerbusOVA.JPG

DoppeldeckerbusOVA Clemens Rainer Pohl [CC BY-SA 3.0 de (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/de/deed.en)], via Wikimedia Commons

A drive-past of a more recent example at:

As for the third German city - I can't remember (and maybe this number was not accurate)

Lubeck used to run double decks until a few years ago. Gotha still does, afaik.

Mikey C

Established Member
It's interesting that all the recent double deckers outside the UK/Ireland have tended to be high capacity 3 axle ones.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
DDs in Mainland Europe, outside of Berlin and outside of major cities on City Sightseeing services, is very rare.
One company that comes to my mind of using LHD DDs in Europe as regular bus services is Cotral in Rome, Italy. The company operates a fleet of 31 Neoplan Centroliner DDs. They tend to do the routes from Rome to coastal towns such as Nettuno, as far as I know.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Idk if this may be relevant to the thread as it's a coach, but Cotral also operate a fleet of 47 Neoplan Skyliners (Which indeed are also LHD DDs) on Lazio's intercity routes. Mainly from Rome to Rieti, Rome to Subiaco and Rome to Sora via Frosinone.

The Neoplan Centroliners are fleet numbered from 0001 to 0031.
The Neoplan Skyliners are fleet numbered from 0101 to 0147.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Also Istanbul, Lausanne, Porto, Rome, Vienna etc etc

Inside the city of Rome, you'll only see DDs on City Sightseeing service. Regular service bus DDs run on commuter services that go from Rome to nearby smaller towns (a bit kinda like the Greenline 702 lol). Those DDs, as mentioned above, are operated by the regional bus company Cotral.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Inside the city of Rome, you'll only see DDs on City Sightseeing service. Regular service bus DDs run on commuter services that go from Rome to nearby smaller towns (a bit kinda like the Greenline 702 lol). Those DDs, as mentioned above, are operated by the regional bus company Cotral.

Correct. Cotral have operated double deckers to/from Rome for some years.

Status
Not open for further replies.