• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Left luggage facilities at stations in Poland, Slovakia & Czech Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigchris

Hi All,

Obviously we can't travel anywhere at the moment until Covid is under control and restrictions are lifted but in the meantime I'm spending some time thinking about a possible trip later this year assuming we can travel again. If anybody could help, I've been trying to find information online as to which stations have left luggage lockers, mainly interested in Poland but Slovakia & Czech Republic would also be useful to know. I assume the main stations in the big cities would have them but it's some of the smaller towns that I'd want to use. I know the DB website has this information for Germany but can't seem to find anything similar for other countries. I want to plan certain parts of the trip where I can jump off a train and leave my bag for the day so knowing where there are lockers would be very handy. It's not much fun trying to get round loco depots and freight yards carrying several weeks worth of luggage and I wouldn't be staying overnight in all the places I fancy visiting.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks, Chris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I13

Hi All,

Obviously we can't travel anywhere at the moment until Covid is under control and restrictions are lifted but in the meantime I'm spending some time thinking about a possible trip later this year assuming we can travel again. If anybody could help, I've been trying to find information online as to which stations have left luggage lockers, mainly interested in Poland but Slovakia & Czech Republic would also be useful to know. I assume the main stations in the big cities would have them but it's some of the smaller towns that I'd want to use. I know the DB website has this information for Germany but can't seem to find anything similar for other countries. I want to plan certain parts of the trip where I can jump off a train and leave my bag for the day so knowing where there are lockers would be very handy. It's not much fun trying to get round loco depots and freight yards carrying several weeks worth of luggage and I wouldn't be staying overnight in all the places I fancy visiting.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks, Chris
Haven't had time to take a look myself but have you tried the Seat 61 website? It's an amazing resource in general but have found it has details on left luggage in the past.

Bigchris

Yeah, had a good look on there thanks. There are some details but it only covers the main stations throughout Europe, for Poland the only details are Krakow Glowny & Warsaw Centralna, and then Bratislava Hvalna and Prague Hvalni. It seems to be more geared up to the general traveller with the main tourist locations, I'd be purely going for railway photography so likely off the normal tourist trail in many places. The bigger cities aren't really a problem as I'd probably have a hotel room, more the smaller places that I wouldn't bother to stay over night in.

notlob.divad

Established Member
Are there any particular ones you want for Poland? They are quite few and far between. 50 across the whole of Poland is one estimate I have seen.

As you say the main city stations have either lockers or a room/counter to secure them at. This included all the ones detailed on https://www.pkp.pl/pl/dworce.

Then at the other end of the scale if you are really heading out to the sticks for example, you are obviously not going to find one at the likes of Głuszyno Pomorskie, but you are probably not going to be going very far from your luggage given there isn't really anywhere to go.

I found this forum in Polish for you where someone has tried to compile a list, https://www.forumkolejowe.pl/showthread.php?tid=4979 (Brak -> without, Są -> they have). The last update was 2017and it is far from exhaustive so I cannot vouch for any accuracy. It may give you an idea of where you may be able to expect them.

I have used them at Kraków Głowny - in the adjacent bus station, and at Lódź Fabryczna.

Another option you could look into is inPost which is a private delivery company that have 'packomats' for deliveries. They have apparently started a service where you can effectively post a package with the same drop off and collection point, valid for up to 48 hours. Either to pass something to a friend or to yourself. They call it "Podaj dalej" literally "Pass it On". so you could do a search for that. Many of these are located at or near train stations so it is an option to look at if you are really determined. I use inPost for most of my internet shopping, and we have sent packages within Poland using it. But I cannot vouch for "Podaj dalej" and have no idea how you would begin or what sizes / prices you would be looking at.

If you want me to look up anything/anywhere specific I can give it a go. Gives me a chance to test out my Polish.

Bigchris

Thanks very much for that, some good info there. I'd looked on the pkp.pl site, didn't find much relating to facilities but did discover the realtime train map which might come in useful.

The forum you mentioned looks a reasonable start, there are a few station of interest that show as having lockers (at least when last reported), and some other locations unfortunately don't have any info. I'll go through the list fully tomorrow when I've got a bit more time.

As for posting things to yourself, very interesting idea but probably not that practical for me in this instance. If I'm staying anywhere for longer than the day I'd have a hotel room anyway, even if it's too early in the day to check-in, most hotels are normally happy to look after your luggage for you.

I'll have a trawl through my ideas so far and see if I can come up with a list.

Thanks again

notlob.divad

Established Member
Thanks very much for that, some good info there. I'd looked on the pkp.pl site, didn't find much relating to facilities but did discover the realtime train map which might come in useful.

The forum you mentioned looks a reasonable start, there are a few station of interest that show as having lockers (at least when last reported), and some other locations unfortunately don't have any info. I'll go through the list fully tomorrow when I've got a bit more time.

As for posting things to yourself, very interesting idea but probably not that practical for me in this instance. If I'm staying anywhere for longer than the day I'd have a hotel room anyway, even if it's too early in the day to check-in, most hotels are normally happy to look after your luggage for you.

I'll have a trawl through my ideas so far and see if I can come up with a list.

Thanks again
The English language version of the PKP site is missing the details. However if you go on the Polish language version you can click on the stations and it gives you some more details (including baggage facilities) but only for those main city centre stations.

Bigchris

Ah, ok thanks. I'll have another look, obviously my Polish is zero so sounds like a job for Google Translator!

Veteran Member
The CD website gives copious0 information for stations; staffed stations have lockers or left luggage (with specified opening hours) - haven't checked ZSSK but I imagine it's the same.

Bigchris

Thanks for the help guys, a few good points to remember for future like more information being available on the pkp website if you translate the Polish version rather than using the English version. So, from places I've got as possibilities to include on my trip I've come up with the information below after a few hours of Googling, pretty good info although there are still a few gaps in red if anybody has ever visited and could advise.

Poland:

These cities (I’ve just listed those of interest that I may visit) all have 24-hour luggage lockers according to translation of pkp.pl website:

• Warsaw (all 3 main stations)
  • Gdansk
  • Gydnia
  • Bialystok
  • Poznan
  • Wroclaw
  • Katowice
  • Krakow
  • Opole
  • Szczecin
  • Bydgoszcz
  • Lodz Kaliska & Fabryczna
And I can’t find any information on the following if anybody has every visited any of them:
  • Tczew
  • Skarzysko Kamienna
  • Lodz Widzew (seems to be the most direct Lodz station if travelling from Warsaw)
  • Rybnik (small station so I assume no facilities)
  • Leszno (ditto, fairly small station)
  • Czechowice Dziedzice (ditto, small station)
Czech Republic with 24-hour lockers according to CD website:
  • Prague hl.n
  • Plzen
  • Ceska Trebova
  • Olomouc hl.n
  • Brno hl.n
Other left luggage facilities:
  • Usti nad Labem (06:00-22:00)
  • Ostrava hl.n (currently only 06:00-18:00 but noted as temporary timings)
  • Breclav (only Mon-Fri and closed for various breaks throughout the day)
And nothing listed on CD website for these which would be of interest:
  • Kolin
  • Ceske Budejovice
Slovakia info from the ZSSK website:
  • Bratislava hl.st (normally open throughout day but website says currently closed)
  • Zvolen Osobna (website says currently under construction but Google has photos of lockers)
  • Zilina (01:00-23:00)
  • Kosice (nothing on website but again, Google has photos showing left luggage signs)
So that's about it. To be honest the bigger cities wouldn't have really been a problem as I'd more than likely stay overnight in a hotel anyway, it's the smaller places I was more interested in, the sort of place I'd possibly stop off at for a few hours or half a day whilst travelling between two larger cities. Any other info would be very gratefully received regarding train travel in any of these locations. I've never really explored any of this part of Europe other than a week in Poland 4 years ago on holiday (Krakow & Wroclaw) and a week working in Ostrava about 9 years ago. This would be a bespoke trip purely for railway photography, visiting depots and busy freight locations over several weeks. If Covid restrictions are lifted in time this year I'd probably be looking at travelling late summer/early autumn, if not then it will more than likely have to wait until next year.

In the meantime, back to getting more ideas and trying to make some sort of plan.

Veteran Member
Kosice had a left luggage office a couple of years ago. The ZSSK site mentions it as runned(!) by an independent company.
The CD site will allow you to search for the nearest Left Luggage (etc) to your chosen station, which is potentially very useful.
I was surprised at Ceske B having nothing - I wonder if the bus station over the road has one?

Bigchris

Actually funny that's the one you mention, literally just found a comment on a Lonely Planet site with very brief mention of Ceske B station saying it has a left luggage facility and is 15 minutes from the town centre. Can't find any other info or photos to back that up though.

Veteran Member
Actually funny that's the one you mention, literally just found a comment on a Lonely Planet site with very brief mention of Ceske B station saying it has a left luggage facility and is 15 minutes from the town centre. Can't find any other info or photos to back that up though.
Google finds one at Nadrazi 1759 in the Mercury shopping centre which is under the bus station, 0900-2000 daily. More convenient than going to Trebon (which is lovely BTW - the town I mean, not its stations).

Last edited:

oldman

There is a complete list of facilities at Polish stations (as at 6.2019) at this link. The column you need is headed Przechowalnia bagażu / Skrytki bagażowe (left luggage/lockers) but no indication of hours. Of those you mentioned, Leszno and Tczew both say tak.

Bigchris

Thanks for that guys. Just had a look at Trebon and I'd agree with you there, looks very nice indeed, although the sort of place I'd visit with the missis though rather than when I'm travelling on my own.

Thanks for the link to that list on the PKP site too, not the most friendly table on your eyesight but once you know what the column headings are it's very useful. That answers the question for all the Polish stations I mentioned, I'll have to try and not think of anywhere else now or I'll really confuse matters :s

Veteran Member
Thanks for that guys. Just had a look at Trebon and I'd agree with you there, looks very nice indeed, although the sort of place I'd visit with the missis though rather than when I'm travelling on my own.
Quite agree. Jindrichuv Hradec, though, has major railway interest (and friendly English-speaking staff last time I was there) and Tabor has some.
And Hradek Kralove as an alternative to Kolin, ditto.

Bigchris

Ah right, thanks for the recommendation. I'll have a proper look next time I get the laptop out, I'm turned off for the day now as I've been staring at it all day trying to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.