• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leg space on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I tend to book a single 1st class table seat if I can.

However if forced to sit at a big table, I tend make myself unwelcoming and strange by spreading stuff all over the table and looking directly at people nodding with a strange look, its amazing how quickly they move on.

I do that too. Works like a charm every time. These days coughing loudly also helps. Then you end up with half a carriage to yourself :).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vespa

Established Member
I do that too. Works like a charm every time. These days coughing loudly also helps. Then you end up with half a carriage to yourself :).

So it does, glad somebody got my humour :lol:

Some right sour puss here, one even talking about offering out anybody who dares to take over an entire table.
I would buy a big bag of popcorn to watch that happening :E:lol:

Metal_gee_man

I think its safe to assume regular travellers know the rolling stock they are travelling on, know the little nuances of the seating plans and use them to their advantage.
I know SE rolling stock like the back of my hand so I know where to sit on a 375 or a 395 where not to sit (no window seat next to plug door on a 395 results in electrical interfewith Bluetooth earphones and much smaller shoulder room than any other seat on the train, I have a preference of 1st class seating on 80xs because I find the single seats with fixed tables are not suitable for laptop use when you're of larger girth
Equally I can't think of a good seat on a 450 in SW land.

Tallguy

I’m 6ft 6ins tall and weigh almost 19 stone. My local TOC is Chiltern and On most of their trains there are extra legroom seats or seats arranged in such a way that they have plenty of space. I seek those our where possible but they are nearly always nabbed before I board on busy commuter services. On aircraft I get the exit or bulkhead row in economy or travel in Premium Economy when I can afford it. Exit row leg room in economy on Emirates Is great.

Mogz

I’m 6ft 6ins tall and weigh almost 19 stone. My local TOC is Chiltern and On most of their trains there are extra legroom seats or seats arranged in such a way that they have plenty of space. I seek those our where possible but they are nearly always nabbed before I board on busy commuter services. On aircraft I get the exit or bulkhead row in economy or travel in Premium Economy when I can afford it. Exit row leg room in economy on Emirates Is great.
Chiltern are a delight compared to some operators.

My daily commute on an XC Voyager is usually quite painful if I can’t get an accessible or table seat, but it doesn’t have to be this way. That’s the annoying thing about it!

I have to commend the GWT IET, LNER Azuma units and the TPE Nova sets though for their decent mix of tables and airline seats, and for leg room in the latter such that at 6’3” I can travel comfortably in any seat on their trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have to commend the GWT IET, LNER Azuma units and the TPE Nova sets though for their decent mix of tables and airline seats, and for leg room in the latter such that at 6’3” I can travel comfortably in any seat on their trains.

Thin backed seats do really help, and there's no reason they need to be uncomfortable, you can have a thin back and a thick base, which is what I think the Fainsa Sophia tries to do, but the shape of the base support causes some people issues.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Thin backed seats do really help, and there's no reason they need to be uncomfortable, you can have a thin back and a thick base, which is what I think the Fainsa Sophia tries to do, but the shape of the base support causes some people issues.

The problem with thin seat backs is when the person behind you pulls down their seat tray, and expects everything to stay on it as the seat it's attached to bounces along the track... even worse when there's no-one in the seat. I tried to work on a netbook on a 225 set a few years back and couldn't see the screen properly, it was vibrating so much! So something more... solid always works for me.

westv

Established Member
The back also needs to be at the right angle to avoid being uncomfortable.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The back also needs to be at the right angle to avoid being uncomfortable.

Yes, true, though a sloped back does reduce effective legroom and make use of e.g. a laptop difficult.

I think this is one thing the Sophia does do fairly well - it's not bolt-upright but it's not too raked. Indeed, it's very similar to the Grammer E3000 which also does these things quite well - there's just the issue with the base support being perceptible through the cushion for some people.

It's actually a seat that's got a lot going for it, it just to me has one very serious issue that would be nicely resolved with a piece of shaped plywood under the cushion.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Northern have I think been running some 153s as pairs, as have TfW. Don't know if the former have any left now though.
Northern have had until recently one diagramm mainly Monday to Friday. Double 153 on a huddersfield to Sheffield diagramm. Until around the the week ending the 03rd October 2020. Since then its mainly been a two car 1502. And also TFW have had double 153 AS a two car formation only but on very occasionally operated services bridgend to rhymney via vale off glamorgan line services. Notably when short off a pacer for its normal booked pacer and x 2 153 for those services. But both above mentioned ie northern and TFW in running service WAS before the recent covid tier restrictions took place. However back to leg space 1502 sprinters especially the northern ones with there layout are a disgrace with little space between them and the row in front very uncomfortable and little room.
However the refurb gwr ones do have a lot more leg space room than the northern ones putting them to shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.