• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leg space on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey C

Established Member
The 376s have excellent legroom, helped by the thin seats, indeed the legroom in the window seats almost seems a waste of space

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The 376s have excellent legroom, helped by the thin seats, indeed the legroom in the window seats almost seems a waste of space

The seats are, however, asbolutely abysmal for ones derriere. They're the only train seat I personally have complaint with in this respect.

Established Member
Did you get talking to her? Trains can be good places to meet people
I am of average height but I often find train seats too cramped, sometimes there is not enough room to hold the newspaper at a comfortable distance to read

New trains on the U-Bahn in Berlin shall have special seats for tall and for short people
Agreed. I've met some lovely people on trains over the years and find it is probably one of the things I've missed most since March.

That said, I've met a few a-holes as well! I take the view that if someone is pleasant with me, they get that back.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
If you can stand Fainsa Sophia seats, you'll be pleased to know that all 80x so far have excellent legroom in Standard.
Don't think it's quite as good as a 175 though is it? Or maybe it is, I've only made two trips using an 80x. Unfortunately I can stand the Sophia seats for only about 40mins longer than I can stand being squashed into a 150 (150 I think is about 50-60 minutes, if nobody sits next to me, 800/802 was ok at about 80mins but not by about 100mins).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Don't think it's quite as good as a 175 though is it? Or maybe it is, I've only made two trips using an 80x. Unfortunately I can stand the Sophia seats for only about 40mins longer than I can stand being squashed into a 150 (150 I think is about 50-60 minutes, if nobody sits next to me, 800/802 was ok at about 80mins but not by about 100mins).

The 175 seats are more comfortable, but I think the legroom is about the same.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Most first class seats have pretty good legroom, it's only on the 'airline-style' first class seats that I've ever had any issues. I particularly recommend avoiding H2, it's got no window and it's very crammed in!

route101

Established Member
Always avoid table seats like the plague, there isn't much leg room and I don't really feel comfortable sat opposite strangers, especially on a busy service where you're in the aisle seat, with seemingly every one trying to avoid everyone else's eye contact. So awkward. I pick airline seats every time or if one of those isn't available I generally choose to stand.

Same here, only go for table if i know i its quiet and will get the table myself. Some trains like the Scotail 156s and 158s, the tables are narrow and your close to the person opposite.

With airline, you dont have to face someone.

This is why if travelling first class, I try to book a single table 2 seater 9 times out of ten there's usually nobody opposite me :)

Thats my fear with the 390 first class, table of 2 with someone opposite . Id probaby move!

kristiang85

Established Member
Always avoid table seats like the plague, there isn't much leg room and I don't really feel comfortable sat opposite strangers, especially on a busy service where you're in the aisle seat, with seemingly every one trying to avoid everyone else's eye contact. So awkward. I pick airline seats every time or if one of those isn't available I generally choose to stand.

I couldn't agree more with this. The worst are SWR's 6-seater 'table' seats (no table, no armrest, no legroom if full) - being in the middle looks a horrible experience.

47296lastduff

The worst seating problem I had was on a Voyager out of Euston. I had a reserved window seat at a table, then a couple arrived and joined me. She was average size and sat facing me, while he was huge, and sat next to me rather than next to his lady. I was squashed against the window, but she was able to spread out. I suspect that this was their usual practice. I had already put the seat divider down, but he promptly lifted it on arrival-he would not have fitted in otherwise.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The worst seating problem I had was on a Voyager out of Euston. I had a reserved window seat at a table, then a couple arrived and joined me. She was average size and sat facing me, while he was huge, and sat next to me rather than next to his lady. I was squashed against the window, but she was able to spread out. I suspect that this was their usual practice. I had already put the seat divider down, but he promptly lifted it on arrival-he would not have fitted in otherwise.

I'd have put it back down the second he raised it, and invited him to sit elsewhere if he had an issue.

47296lastduff

I'd have put it back down the second he raised it, and invited him to sit elsewhere if he had an issue.
Yes, I agree in theory, but I wasn't expecting it, and it happened too quickly for me to react before he sat. Since then, I sit with my arm on the divider until the train has finished loading at each station.

route101

Established Member

Thats why i avoid tables, at risk of been surrounded by a group. I once saw a guy get asked to leave his table so that a group can sit there.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Thats why i avoid tables, at risk of been surrounded by a group. I once saw a guy get asked to leave his table so that a group can sit there.

I think it's generally good manners not to occupy a table seat when travelling singly, unless you need the space for a laptop (for which some airline seats can be good like 387s and 80xs, but others totally unsuitable)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The answer to that is, of course, "no, I'm afraid not".

I think it's generally good manners not to occupy a table seat when travelling singly, unless you need the space for a laptop (for which some airline seats can be good like 387s and 80xs, but others totally unsuitable)

Yeah, that's the only reason I tend to choose one. Only very upright airline seats (such as the types you note) are OK for laptop use.

westv

Established Member
Sounds like they were extracting the urine there!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Did you get talking to her? Trains can be good places to meet people.

There may be a reason why this person started to talk to JonSnow_12, could it be because her parter could be the controling type (i.e. the "what to speak to her, you talk to me first" type) and if she's not around him then she has free rein. This is purely a thought.

I've had it on occations where people have asked me for advice, whether travel enquiries (bizarrely) or anything random such as rough location e.g. how far off the next station.

Agreed. I've met some lovely people on trains over the years and find it is probably one of the things I've missed most since March. That said, I've met a few a-holes as well! I take the view that if someone is pleasant with me, they get that back.

I think most people would rather have someone talk to them especially after lockdown, the sound of another humans voice can be music to someones ears if the person lives alone with no one to talk to or has no support bubble.

YorksLad12

Established Member

I vaguely recall having been booked in a table of four in First when the others with reservations arrived - party of four women, two took up the two-seater across the aisle. Being a nice chap I offered to swap, so they could sit together (and thus I got the other table all to myself,). They didn't even buy me a drink to say thanks. :lol:

route101

Established Member
The 800s have good legroom. Im quite short but i do notice the extra space.

Vespa

Established Member
I tend to book a single 1st class table seat if I can.

However if forced to sit at a big table, I tend make myself unwelcoming and strange by spreading stuff all over the table and looking directly at people nodding with a strange look, its amazing how quickly they move on.

al78

Established Member

It shouldn't be an issue if there is plenty of space, and you have the situational awareness and thoughtfullness to move to an airline seat if the carriage fills up and a group wants to sit together.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
However if forced to sit at a big table, I tend make myself unwelcoming and strange by spreading stuff all over the table and looking directly at people nodding with a strange look, its amazing how quickly they move on.
Really? Wow! :rolleyes:

eoff

I tend to book a single 1st class table seat if I can.

When I get on a train and very much so on busy ones I tend to go for...
  1. My favourite seats (good view through window, or close to doors if a very busy train)
  2. Seats with bags on
  3. Seats where people are using more than their fair share of space (unless they have the misfortune to be very large)

Vespa

Established Member
When I get on a train and very much so on busy ones I tend to go for...
  1. My favourite seats (good view through window, or close to doors if a very busy train)
  2. Seats with bags on
  3. Seats where people are using more than their fair share of space (unless they have the misfortune to be very large)

If it floats your boat, mate.

6Gman

Established Member
Every time. I cannot bear to sit opposite strangers at a table. It's bad enough when they want to talk at you let alone the leg struggle.

Learn a few words of an obscure language. That usually works. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.