• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Legality or otherwise of opening post for someone not at your address

Status
Not open for further replies.

exile

Established Member
In general, no, you shouldn't open mail not meant for you. I can think of exceptions - it's for a deceased relative or someone in your household not able to deal with their own affairs, etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pinkmarie80

I open all my fiancé’s mail but he has severe mental health problems and cannot deal with official letters etc. He works for Royal Mail himself and he’s red hot on such things but as his appointee and carer I’m able to do so. Yet if I’m away and receive mail that I need him to open (eg hospital appointment that may need changing etc) he asks me twice to give him my permission before he will open it.

duffield

Established Member
I treat anything that says "The Occupier", "Resident", "Owner" or whatever as junk and it goes straight in the shreader.
I wouldn't advise doing that. I get 'Occupier' mail which includes the new bin emptying schedules, and I once got an 'Occupier' from the water company saying they were cutting off the supply as the house was unoccupied (due to their errors in processing my house move address change). I think I might have had one about the gas being turned off for mains repairs which was very important from a safety point of view (ensure all appliances turned off so they won't produce a gas hazard when the supply comes back).

WesternLancer

Established Member
I treat anything that says "The Occupier", "Resident", "Owner" or whatever as junk and it goes straight in the shreader.
That's how the local council planning department would notify you if someone had applied for permission to build a house extension / 30 storey tower block / waste incinerator next door to your house.

No wonder a certain amount of people only complain when the bulldozers appear on site and say things to the affect "how did anyone let this happen"....:D

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
As an aside, if you ever think you have a boring job, work for Royal Mail on MDEC. Mind-numbing doesn’t even begin to describe it!

Did that night shift after uni. The highlight was the wee break every hour. That and sending some letters to Stornoway "by accident" when the address was written in stupid handwriting.

The previous owner of my house did a midnight flit back to India and I do open mail. He left rather a lot of debt (the house was a repo) and I'm making sure it's not court letters.

87 027

That's how the local council planning department would notify you if someone had applied for permission to build a house extension / 30 storey tower block / waste incinerator next door to your house.

No wonder a certain amount of people only complain when the bulldozers appear on site and say things to the affect "how did anyone let this happen"....:D

Agreed. I have just returned from holiday to find a letter from the planning department addressed to "The Owner and/or Occupier" inviting me to object to plans to demolish the bungalow next door but one and build two 2-storey 4-bedroom houses in its place. So I would not think it safe to assume that anything not directly addressed to an occupier by name is of no interest whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.