• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lego Hits 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

petethetim

Just Watching BBC Breakfast & noticed that the Building Bricks Lego are 50 Today.

I had Lego in the 60's , when it was sold under the slogan" A New Toy Everyday"

I also had a working Lego train set , but it never impressed me ( still prefer Hornby & Wren 00/H0)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Metroland

Established Member
I had Lego in the late 1970s when I started infants school. They used to do a train, they may well still do. It pre-dated my Hornby set about 1 year - which consisted of a BR blue class 25 and crimson and cream Mk1s plus wagons. Had kites, roller skates and skateboards as well, which were big at the time, although never had Meccano. At this time people started getting video game consoles (anyone remember the old Atari ones?). So we (brother and I) used to pile around to friends after watching Tiswas or Swapshop - although we used to have both on, one on the B&W TV, one on colour sometimes - and go and play with their Lego or video games. That's if we wasn't dragged out shopping by Mum and Dad in King's Lynn or Peterborough. At least we got a Texan bar to munch on the way!

me123

Established Member
Well done :lol:

I miss lego. I used to love it. Constructing was never my strong point though, and my inventions tended to fall apart...

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I never enjoyed Lego that much, but I do rememember winning a Cub-Scout 'Lego Castle Building' competition when I was about 9...those were the days! :lol:

Coxster

Established Member
Lego hits 50? Not quite as old as 'The Gricer' then!!!

(I've learnt that he may still lurk so my aim is to make him post again (like in the old days) to find out for sure 8-))

O L Leigh

Established Member
I had Lego in the 60's , when it was sold under the slogan" A New Toy Everyday"

...and that was always it's strength.

I had a battered old Huntley & Palmers biscuit tin full of assorted lego bricks and it was my best toy for years. Want a car? No problem. A plane? Sure, what type? Trains were a bit of a stretch for the bricks I had, but it was possible to knock up a passable DMU in BR blue/grey or a single loco in "Banger" blue. My Mum says that always knew when I was up on a Saturday morning because she would hear me tipping all the bricks out of the tin and onto my bedroom floor.

The tin and it's contents no doubt went to some deserving small person at some point (probably at about the time I discovered the recreational possibilities of girls), but I still have an amount of Technic Lego in the house even now. I find it disappointing that the main thrust seems to be towards sets that only allow you to build one or two different things and seems to stifle the imagination that I was able to lavish on my old bricks. You can still ocassionally subvert the masterplan a bit, but you can only really do so by buying more bits so it only benefits them to do so.

Ah, happy days. You young 'uns don't know what you missed out on.

one TN

Gizmogle

Established Member
I threw up in my lego bucket :( I never played with it again, cause it always smelt of vomit.

Respite

The only good thing about having friends with kids is that when the Ho & myself go around there I keep myself amused for hours building stuff out of our friends son's lego bricks. Usually nicking all the good bits & leaving him with just bare basic bricks;). Plus I find lots of fosters & lego work great!

Still another mate of mine just fell foul of the "Dont drink & ebay" situation. Apparently he was down the pub with his mates talking about times gone by & toys of childhood, anyway he got rather drunk, went home & stuck ebay on. Wakes up nextday to find he's done a buy it now & paid for about £180 worth of lego! Still it will come in handy next time I stay over there. 8-)

Respite

The thing about a good relationship is when you can type that, let her see it & still have no grief. Thats why I'm marrying her. Took me a while to find a good one but now it's all good. ;)
Sorry I mean it's all gravy I believe......tuh. :)

Respite

Ah, marriage. Welcome to the Ball & Chain Club. :)

one TN

Yep, 35 now so I thought I better join the club. I was finding life far too enjoyable & needed mundane task's to belittle myself! December the 6th this year, I believe that was the date of pearl harbour wasnt it? At least she's a lawyer.........

Ghostcav's first rule of dating....Find someone who earns more than you do! LOL ;)

Coxster

Established Member
Besides it's worked for women for years, sexual equality rocks....LOL
...yet you're still expected to give up your seat on a train for a female (well, unless you in particular are on-shift at the time :p). Seems they don't want equality afterall ;)

Respite

...yet you're still expected to give up your seat on a train for a female (well, unless you in particular are on-shift at the time :p). Seems they don't want equality afterall ;)

I never give up My seat for a woman....Oh hold on I can't, I'm the driver.<( As you said.

Respite

Well I have 29 hours before I'm due back at work, the future wife's asleep due to an early morning start & theres a crate of fosters in my garage.....Guess what I'm doing.<(

i.e. I may have had a few.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I think Pearl Harbour was Dec 7th...

However, I concur with your first rule of dating. It's getting to be a tight squeak, but Her Nibs does still earn more than your 'umble servant. She's a treasure though. Didn't bat an eyelid when I told her I was going to buy first a car then a £6k bike.

Just one word of advice from an old stager. Well, two actually. Firstly, make sure you savour every single moment of the happy (?) day. It will go by so fast and be over before you know it, so make sure you take the time to enjoy the day and remember it. Videos and the like are all well and good, but they won't convey how you feel on the day. Secondly, the hard work ain't over (no sir). It takes as much work to keep the marriage ticking over as it did to woo and win her, so don't take your foot off the gas or take things for granted. Sure you'll get a routine and an easy way of being together, but familiarity can breed contempt so keep up the effort.

Oh, and congratulations and best wishes to both you and the future Mrs Ghostcav. :)

one TN

Status
Not open for further replies.