• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leicester Olymnpians to go soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCW

Arriva's last three Volvo olympians, originally Midland Fox vehicles, will sadly be withdrawn and sold on soon.

as you guys know i'm bloody desperate to preserve one and I can't manage it myself, so is anyone up for banding together to buy one??

it's a mad suggestion, I know.... but sometimes it has to be done...

they are mechanically sound, the blind were updated to Dot matrix, and the interior is just starting to go threadbare, apart from that they are pretty much all original..

anyone mad enough to join me?! (serious proposition)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Which ones are still left? 4617 as you mentioned in the other thread. 4644 I believe I saw the other day. Somewhere in my mind it seems to scream 4620?

Ivo

Established Member
If I had the money spare I would happily chip in, but it just isn't going to happen :(

I wanted to preserve a Southend Leyland Olympian, but that was a non-starter too. I think those buses are still in use elsewhere though - and this should be considered for the Leicester Volvos. Will they be scrapped or just sold off? If the latter, you might have another chance down the line...

MCW

Which ones are still left? 4617 as you mentioned in the other thread. 4644 I believe I saw the other day. Somewhere in my mind it seems to scream 4620?

4617, 4615 and 4624 as far as I know. I think the plan was to move all three and have them at wigston. we shall see...

If I had the money spare I would happily chip in, but it just isn't going to happen :(

I wanted to preserve a Southend Leyland Olympian, but that was a non-starter too. I think those buses are still in use elsewhere though - and this should be considered for the Leicester Volvos. Will they be scrapped or just sold off? If the latter, you might have another chance down the line...

Hopefully sold on... I might ask Ken at confidence very kindly to see of he is interested....

BuhSnarf

After many a morning being late for work because one of these broke down I say good riddence!

Sent from my Galaxy S2 with Tapatalk.

MCW

After many a morning being late for work because one of these broke down I say good riddence!

they are only unreliable cause Arriva are harsh gits who don't look after good machines!!!

if they were properly cared for they wouldn't break down mate, simple.

Ivo

Established Member
they are only unreliable cause Arriva are harsh gits who don't are physically incapable of and uninterested in look[ing] after good machines!!!

That's more like it ;)

How much would one of these Volvos cost anyway?

34D

Established Member
That's more like it ;)

How much would one of these Volvos cost anyway?

Scrap price would be upto £2k. If runners with long tests, the price could well be double that. Are they TD102 engined or L10?

MCW

Scrap price would be upto £2k. If runners with long tests, the price could well be double that. Are they TD102 engined or L10?

buggered if I know... L10 rings a bell....

good engines in them either way. Love them to bits!!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Would seem that 4621 is still hanging around. Turned up on the 53A which I was going to catch today, and inevitably broke down. <(

MCW

Would seem that 4621 is still hanging around. Turned up on the 53A which I was going to catch today, and inevitably broke down. <(

oh bugger.... yeah 4621 breaks down the most out of them all unfortunately. she's the most abused out the lot....

34D

Established Member
buggered if I know... L10 rings a bell....

good engines in them either way. Love them to bits!!

Cummins L10 considered the worse engine out of the two, so that may make them less desirable to other parts of arriva.

BuhSnarf

oh bugger.... yeah 4621 breaks down the most out of them all unfortunately. she's the most abused out the lot....

Lol, sounds about right. I remember travelling down narborough rd at about 40 when the engine just cut out once.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Think I used to catch them from time to time when on the x61 service when I worked in Leicester.

Fox County had a large collection from a few batches: roller-blind 4601-4613 and dot-matrix 4614-4653. Not all at the same time granted but the majority of them most of the time.

MCW

Fox County had a large collection from a few batches: roller-blind 4601-4613 and dot-matrix 4614-4653. Not all at the same time granted but the majority of them most of the time.

Ah I thought they were all roller blind ones!!!

oh well lol..

Be nice to have one In Blue Urban Fox livery on the 85/185? ;)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Ah I thought they were all roller blind ones!!!

oh well lol..

Only the P-reg ones have roller-blinds.

Obviously now some have got LED displays instead.

Be nice to have one In Blue Urban Fox livery on the 85/185? ;)

I always thought the blue looked a little dull, though it could just be my odd taste. Then again I did quite like the Fox Cubs version of this livery. Something about being all cuddly, etc. :oops:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Saw 4620 bouncing about on the 104 Friday afternoon near SMBS too. Seems like there are a few of them still alive.

Ginga

R624 mnu and Four others are for sale at Stafford Bus Centre for £10 850 each.

MCW

Bump thread with new info:

all the olympians have now gone bar 4617, which is still knocking about.

It seems that Arriva have a lot of mechanical and bus shortage issues at the moment in Leicester, despite the arrival of the ex london Gemini's. I dare say it is possibly 4617 may live in Leicester for a while longer yet.

Apparently I also got Gen that she has already been sold but Arriva are keeping her at the mo due to said issues, however there has been talk of moving a reserve DAF ALX 400 to wigston to replace 4617.

Has anyone got a contact for fleet manager or something? I only ask as since the bus running day for old leicester buses is on the 9th I was going to ring Arriva and see if it was possible to get 4617 down there either as a static or some form of rides in support of the LTHT, its a long shot but the bus might not be about for much longer.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks for the info.

I don't have the number for the manager. I only have the enquiry number for Wigston depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.