• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leicester to Bath day return - cheapest? with senior railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzanneparis

Hi can anyone suggest the cheapest way to go to Bath (Spa) for the day from Leicester. I have an over 60 railcard.

I can travel at anytime on anyday - apart from Sunday. And I don't mind booking in advance.

Thanks for any help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

It looks as though you could do it with advance singles each way at £19.10 via Birmingham and Bristol - but you may find the outward leg is more expensive if you want to leave Leicester early.

An off peak walk on return is just over £50 - if you go on a Saturday there are no time restrictions.

suzanneparis

Thank you. That is more or less what I thought from NRE.

I was wondering if there was a way to buy several tickets that work out cheaper - as I have done before on other journeys.

dzug2

The obvious splits (New Street, Cheltenham, Temple Meads - or via London) look to be more expensive than the through ticket

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You can do it for £35 using 3xOff-Peak Returns (CDR):
Leicester-Birmingham £8.80, Birmingham-Cheltenham £15.85, Cheltenham-Bath £9.45.
Not before 0930 Mon-Fri and with evening peak restrictions (1530-1816 from CNM/BHM).
Otherwise any train.

Edit:
Another way is to buy a Heart of England 3 in 7 Rover, which covers Leicester-Cheltenham after 0900 Mon-Fri.
This costs £52.80, plus the CNM-BTH £9.45.
You can then have 2 other trips in the area over the next 6 days for free.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/prfa8cb80a0400040054ce2b5473d398.aspx

Last edited:

suzanneparis

LNW-GW joint

Many many thanks. Brilliant! Most impressed with your depth of knowledge.

Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.