• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leicester to Glasgow flexible ticket required

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzanneparis

Hello all and many many thanks for help in the past.

I have to go from Leicester to Glasgow next week:

Outward depart Leicester about 7.30am on Thursday 21 Nov.
Return depart Glasgow about 9.45 am on Friday 22 Nov.

I have a senior railcard.

Because I don't like changing trains I would prefer just one change. So presumably the route would be Leicester to Birmingham to Glasgow. Then return.

But.... Trainsplit offer a price which is slightly cheaper (if I limit myself to one change) than buying a normal off peak return. But I think it is more limited on what trains I can catch. I would quite like flexibility.

So my questions:
1 IF I had a problem on the journey is it easier to get a refund from Trainsplit (which involves several tickets) or from a TOC such as Virgin.
2 IF I do buy via a TOC site would it be best to buy from Virgin as I am travelling with them on the bit from Birmingham to Glasgow
3 If I buy an off peak return via Virgin can I come back at any time on the 22nd or even for a few days afterwards?
4 FLOODS. Has there been any flooding on my proposed route Leic to Brum to Glas? And is it likely there will be any?
5 Does the trainsplit ticket limit me or can I come back on other trains on the 22nd or even on the 23rd?
6 The current price for the return with Virgin is about £97. Is this a standard fare or do I need to buy it quick before it gets more expensive?

Many thanks for any help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
2. no difference really, though IIRC Virgin will let you select your seat.
3. an offpeak return is valid to return within a month. On this particular route there is effectively no time restriction.
5. it depends what is suggested - if any of the tickets are Advances, then they are train-specific, otherwise no.
6. an offpeak return (that's the price you quoted) is a standard fare, the price won't change, you don't need to book it in advance (except to get reservations).

suzanneparis

Many thanks 30907. Very kind of you.

Regarding the floods. Am I best on the Leicester to Birmingham to Glasgow route. OR would Leicester to Nuneaton to Crewe to Glasgow be better?

Thanks again

Veteran Member
Many thanks 30907. Very kind of you.

Regarding the floods. Am I best on the Leicester to Birmingham to Glasgow route. OR would Leicester to Nuneaton to Crewe to Glasgow be better?

Thanks again
Anyone's guess, but an Offpeak Return would be valid either way.
If you book via Nuneaton-Crewe, you have the option of going via Brum and picking up your reservation at Crewe. Or going via Derby-Edinburgh or via Peterborough-Edinburgh, but without reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.