• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leipzig and Nuremberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I usually plan a trip to Germany for each late November/early December. I try to aim for an interesting town or city with good Christmas markets.

This year am contemplating Leipzig and Nuremberg.

Any advice on what these two can offer for a tourist, good hotels and restaurants, airports and rail travel between them etc please. Advice and thoughts very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
I love Leipzig, so much so I go every year ;)

Hotel wise you can't go wrong with Motel One (there are two in the city centre), the Ramada City and PentaHotel are nice. The Seaside looked nice when I visited friends there but with the event rates I couldn't afford it.

Attraction wise there is the Thomaskirche (where Bach was choirmaster), the Volkerschachtdenkmal (Monument to the Battle of the Nations). I'd also suggest going to the top of the Hochhaus (the MDR Tower) for the panorama terrace (3€)

For Rail/Air interest there is the large tram network, with some Communist Era Tatras still in service (though they are on borrowed time), the new CityTunnel is worth a look (the stations are something else!), there may still be some 143+DD workings but with more 442 (Talent 2) Deliveries they might be gone now (there were a couple around last June). Also take Tram 10 to the south of the city and see the preserved IL-62 just parked on a suburban street (I can't remember the stop but you can see it from the tram)

The city is very musical, with many festivals ranging from the classical (Bach and Wagner) to something rather darker entirely (Wave-Gotik-Treffen - think Whitby Goth Weekend, but 20 times bigger and without the fancy dress lot)

Resturant wise we tended to get some fast food in the Hbf (as it would be between bands at WGT) - the local chains are pretty high quality and cheap too. Did have a nice meal at a French resturant by the Thomaskirche but can't remember it's name.

Also for getting to Leipzig, there are direct flights with Ryanair from Stansted but most people I know go via Berlin and catch the hourly ICE to Leipzig which takes ~1h10 (this is our preferred option as Stansted is a pain in the bum to get to from here)

Zamracene749

In Leipzig, the Stasi museum 'in der runden ecke' is a worthwhile visit, a fascinating insight into the old communist lifestyle and the start of the downfall of the wall. In the city centre the museum of the DDR is good too.

If you like booze, a handful of bars specialize in an oddity in Leipzig called 'Gose'- beer brewed with salt water! It's not as bad as it sounds, but it isn't good for your blood pressure! The city is crammed with nice restaurants, there are beautiful churches, beautiful old shopping arcades , great cafes,a zoo etc and i'll give a second vote for the fascinating and comprehensive tram network too.

PS, myself and StarryMB have both forgotten to mention that Leipzig station is a destination itself, magnificent and once (still) the largest station in Europe....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.