• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lelant Station - St Ives Branch info sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Luxton

Established Member
Lelant Station

I have not indulged in railway modelling for over 15 years. However, a few days ago I made an impulse purchase of a keenly priced Graham Farish N gauge "Cornish Riviera Express" set.

What to do with it? Well I thought I would make myself a small continuous run layout with rear fiddle yard to watch the trains go by.

Thinking of a suitable prototype I came up with the idea of Lelant Station on the St. Ives Branch, which if the long defunct Dynamite Quay sidings were included could make an interesting model.

There are plenty of photos on the web of the prototype past and present, including some photos of a splendid 7mm Broad Gauge model of the station.

However, what I am looking for is a source of information on the station in particular info on the station building and platform length.

Though there have been many GWR Branch line books published a detailed history, with the relevant info on the St Ives Branch is something which is conspicuous by its absence.

Is there anywhere I could get a scale plan of the station or does anyone know of a book which contains such a plan?

I am likely to be in Cornwall during part of April and intend to look and get some photos of my own, but I really would like some accurate dimensions as getting a tape measure out might make me look downright suspicious at a live station!

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

John

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Requeststop

Lelant Station

I have not indulged in railway modelling for over 15 years. However, a few days ago I made an impulse purchase of a keenly priced Graham Farish N gauge "Cornish Riviera Express" set.

What to do with it? Well I thought I would make myself a small continuous run layout with rear fiddle yard to watch the trains go by.

Thinking of a suitable prototype I came up with the idea of Lelant Station on the St. Ives Branch, which if the long defunct Dynamite Quay sidings were included could make an interesting model.

There are plenty of photos on the web of the prototype past and present, including some photos of a splendid 7mm Broad Gauge model of the station.

However, what I am looking for is a source of information on the station in particular info on the station building and platform length.

Though there have been many GWR Branch line books published a detailed history, with the relevant info on the St Ives Branch is something which is conspicuous by its absence.

Is there anywhere I could get a scale plan of the station or does anyone know of a book which contains such a plan?

I am likely to be in Cornwall during part of April and intend to look and get some photos of my own, but I really would like some accurate dimensions as getting a tape measure out might make me look downright suspicious at a live station!

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

John

My old home station. A couple of years back in the summer time the present owners of the station building were doing afternoon teas. Not too sure if they are still doing it. It may be worth the price of a cuppa and a proper cream tea (Cream on top of the jam in Cornwall) and a chat with the owners to see if the tape measure can be used. Good luck with your research and project.

RPI

Established Member
In terms of platform length, it's exactly the right length (literally to the inch) as a 5 car unit consisting of 2x150 + 153..... 5 car was trialled on the branch one spring morning in about 2004.

jj1314

Have you looked into whether any of the Environment Agency's airborne LiDAR data might help? If nothing else, to measure structures and accurately build-up the topography?

Have a look here and select '50 cm DSM' from the 'Layers' menu (top right). enfarchsoc.org/opendata/index.html?z=19.00&lon=-5.436&lat=50.184&osm=0&ldr=0.6

I've linked to this site over the EA's own porta as it's a handy, free tool for quickly visualising the data they hold and the resolution of available data. You can download directly from the EA under their open data agreement and draw shadows from different angles using numerous freeware software packages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.