• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lens hood issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle37

Good afternoon,

Was trying to take a picture of a train coming off Staines Bridge (around the bend and in to Staines Station) two weeks ago and had my lens hood on, but as it was a bit overcast it seemed to make the shot darker, so I took it off, but had nowhere to store it, (didn't want to place it on the floor as what with the excitement of the train coming through I might kick it on to the tracks :oops:). What do you experts recommend one should do with a lens hood in that situation, I have been told that putting it on the lens backwards is a faux pas that could get me kicked off the platform.

Advice very welcome please :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xc170

I have been told that putting it on the lens backwards is a faux pas that could get me kicked off the platform.

Really....?

Put it on backwards or put it in your bag...

Bungle37

Yeah, was told in no uncertain terms that putting it on backwards was the mark of a fool :frown:. But thanks, didn't have my camera bag with me and my tablet bag was stuffed with a cadence sensor and SWT's latest T's&C's. I shall ensure I have a suitable bag in future!

Last edited:

xc170

Can't tell if you're being serious or not. Lens hoods are designed so that they can be put on backwards for storage.

If someone is paying enough attention to which way around your lens hood is then I'd suggest they may be the fool.

Bungle37

I think you may be right, pretty sure I have seen others with them on and they don't seem like fools and this chap does often get his knickers in a twist about strange things. Thanks for clarifying for me, appreciate it!

Bungle37

Found the perfect answer, a lens-hood-bag:

LENS HOOD BAG.JPG

My camera is Panasonic, but the dimensions seem to work :D

Ordered from Amazon, up to 2 weeks delivery though :(

GB

Established Member
Good afternoon,

Was trying to take a picture of a train coming off Staines Bridge (around the bend and in to Staines Station) two weeks ago and had my lens hood on, but as it was a bit overcast it seemed to make the shot darker, so I took it off, but had nowhere to store it, (didn't want to place it on the floor as what with the excitement of the train coming through I might kick it on to the tracks :oops:). What do you experts recommend one should do with a lens hood in that situation, I have been told that putting it on the lens backwards is a faux pas that could get me kicked off the platform.

Who ever told you that needs a good hard look at their life.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
The only problem with reversing the hood is that if often obstructs the ability to twist the zoom lens control.

I always store cameras with the hood reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.