• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leominster to Five Ways with Anytime Return (+16-25 Railcard) via Any Permitted Route - Permitted via Shrewsbury in disruption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddalistic

Good morning,

I had a conversation on Monday with Customer Services for West Midlands Railway, after the 12:56 Five Ways - Hereford train was cancelled.

My question was: because of the cancellation, is it permissible for me to travel via Shrewsbury (the 'via Craven Arms' option).

He kept saying that because the ticket had no route restrictions, I was free to travel that way. However, I know that both National Rail Enquiries and Trainline say that it isn't a route you can take with that ticket.

Does anyone have any advice about this? If indeed the ticket is always valid on that route, I'd prefer to take advantage of it. I've checked the fare check rule and it seems to comply. But I also don't want to risk a penalty.

I make this journey on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. As it's a long journey I don't want to make it longer.

Thanks in advance,
David

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
I think Craven Arms fails the fares check as an origin routeing point for destination routeing points Birmingham Group and Barnt Green.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think Craven Arms fails the fares check as an origin routeing point for destination routeing points Birmingham Group and Barnt Green.
That's right

Leominster to Dudley Port is OK via Craven arms as that's the shortest route.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Should you wish to travel via Shrewsbury, you can buy a ticket routed 'via Craven Arms' which is valid for travel that way. It is, unfortunately, more expensive than the ticket routed 'Any Permitted'.

ddalistic

Are you able to show your working for this?

I just put it in to National Rail Enquiries again and realised I'd made the error of comparing single fares to/from the routeing point with the return fare for the whole journey (facepalm)... Sorry about this. It does indeed violate the fare check rule.

Should I conclude from this that the WMR customer advisor didn't know his stuff?

David

moose5000

I'm pretty sure as well that if for whatever reason (e.g. cancellation, delays) West Midlands Railway says you can travel via Craven Arms and Shrewsbury on the Any Permitted ticket, then you can. I'd recommend getting an endorsement for this just in case West Midlands Railway haven't cleared it with Transport for Wales - then any problem is between the two operators.

ddalistic

I'm pretty sure as well that if for whatever reason (e.g. cancellation, delays) West Midlands Railway says you can travel via Craven Arms and Shrewsbury on the Any Permitted ticket, then you can. I'd recommend getting an endorsement for this just in case West Midlands Railway haven't cleared it with Transport for Wales - then any problem is between the two operators.

Thanks. This is what I regretted after I put down the phone -- he asked for my email but I didn't get an email confirming our conversation and what had been said. In the event, though, my ticket wasn't challenged.

1955LR

I have on a couple of occasions travelled via Shrewsbury BHM to HFD when WMR trains cancelled at short notice last year , on advise from staff at BHM . Also walked over to Moor St instead, depending on timings of alternative trains.

JB_B

Established Member
I just put it in to National Rail Enquiries again and realised I'd made the error of comparing single fares to/from the routeing point with the return fare for the whole journey ....

One thing to keep in mind is that the fares check is based on the fares at privatisation ( NFM96 ) - using current fares may not give accurate results.

You can check the appropriate routeing points using the routeing point calculator at http://data.atoc.org/rp_calc ( when it's working!).

Status
Not open for further replies.