• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Less able to stand person on upper deck of bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Anyone been sitting on the upper deck of a bus and been asked by someone less able to stand to give up the seat?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Never. Mind you, I can't remember the last time I was on a double-decker bus with the top deck more than two thirds full.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Its not legal to stand on the upper deck of a double decker, so what was the person doing up there in the first place ?

Its not legal to stand on the upper deck of a double decker when the vehicle is in motion, so what was the person doing up there in the first place ?
I think you have missed a few words ;) I've added them and it might explain more what the OP is getting at

GodAtum

On Moderation
My initial thinking was is it socially acceptable to refuse to give up you seat on the upper deck. for someone less able to stand. I would tell them to go and ask someone in the lower deck.

radamfi

Established Member
If think the point is that if the passenger has managed to get up the stairs, they must be quite able bodied.

ECML180

If think the point is that if the passenger has managed to get up the stairs, they must be quite able bodied.

Thats the key to it for me, but I'd probably give up my seat.

I think you have missed a few words ;) I've added them and it might explain more what the OP is getting at

Give up my seat and crawl back downstairs, best not stand up! :lol: ;)

455driver

Veteran Member
So somebody walks upstairs, finds all the seats taken so instead of scurrying off back downstairs asks somebody for their seat. Is that about it?

Tell them to sod off (politely) would be my way of dealing with it because if you give them your seat you would have to go downstairs and probably stand.

fowler9

Established Member
I would be pretty shocked if someone felt they needed to have a seat but managed to get up the stairs and wander along the top deck of a moving bus. For once I'd probably tell them not to take the p*ss.

GodAtum

On Moderation
lets say obvious pregnant lady asks you for a seat, would you tell her to go and ask someone downstairs?

455driver

Veteran Member
You do like to turn things around dont you! :roll:

Yes I would tell her to sit downstairs, she is pregnant not disabled!
That is what the priority seats (downstairs) are for, if I was sat in a priority seat I would give the seat up, if not then I wont.

Do they have priority seats upstairs?
If not why not?

fowler9

Established Member
lets say obvious pregnant lady asks you for a seat, would you tell her to go and ask someone downstairs?

I'm an argumentative git but some people will argue any old bobbins. Well supposing a heavily pregnant lady had chosen to go upstairs on a crowded bus of course I would give her my seat, I would wonder why she had struggled upstairs and no one downstairs gave her a seat.

What next? Would I not give my seat to Stephen Hawking on the top deck of a busy bus?

Waldgrun

Isn't standing only allowed on the lower decks, if this is the case, seems to make most of what is said on this thread pointless!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Isn't standing only allowed on the lower decks, if this is the case, seems to make most of what is said on this thread pointless!
Surely in order to get to a seat on the upper deck you have to be stood at some point, unless you get on your hands and knees and crawl upstairs?

34D

Established Member
I don't think I've had enough alcohol to understand this thread properly

deltic1989

Established Member
If they are "less able to stand" my view on this is that they would have some sort of problem with their legs or back. If that is the case how the flying fornication did they manage to get to the top deck of the bus?
I have no issues in that department but still I find it difficult to climb the stairs on a double decker bus.
I think that this would be the only time in which I would refuse such a request, as if they are able to get up to the top of the bus, then there can't be all that much wrong with them.
Although on all points I stand to be corrected.

ECML180

As an athletics coach, I've worked with disabled kids before. While they have the energy and ability to do certain things(throwing bean bags, running shot distances, even climbing stairs) they are unable to do it for long. So I suppose it is possible that someone could be fit enough get upstairs but not have enough stamina to stand for very long.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Also it might be easy to climb the stairs whilst the bus is stationary, but difficult to descend when the bus is in motion.

I always find going down on bus staircases more difficult than going up

londonbridge

Established Member
During the school run periods when the bus is rammed solid I've often seen people standing on both the upper deck and the stairs and the drivers invariably do nothing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.