• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lets talk 50's

Status
Not open for further replies.

GearJammer

Specifically i'd like to know about 50021 Rodney, ive looked on the Preserved Diesels website and theres not alot of info about this particular loco (or am i looking in the wrong place), not even that many pics of it compared to some of the others, what i'd like to know basically is how its restoration is going and when we might see it operational again?

On a similar note does anyone know what the latest is on 50033 Glorious? Has its situation been resolved?

And lastly and im sure i could find out myself but im gonna put the question out to you lot, will 50002 Superb be going out onto the mainline once its rebuild....... or should that be unrebuild, is complete? I got this mental image of it going up over Shap double heading with 50044 Exeter both in BR blue with the Cargo D rake in tow and its something i'd like to see!

Any info or thoughts would be good, and any news on any of the preserved 50's would be interesting to hear to. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
No gen RE 002 on the mainline, but if you want doubble headed vacs then wait untill next year, should have 026 044 and 049 to choose from but thats all pending 026 being fixed up and getting mainlined, 049 is ML but is having bogies done

50033 is at Tysley I beleve, still with dents in it but im unsure on its future myself

as for the other vacs 019 is doing a 100mi running day 4th September at the MNR, 027 should run at the NYMR gala 17th-19th sept but errm.... wait and see, 031 or 035 will work vice 37906 7th August at the SVR (50031 likely), 50031 was back up and running a few weeks back when it worked vice 37906, sounds crisp, not going back to ML
50035 has had some repairs done to it AFAIK, didnt sound right last time I had it so I beleve its been sorted

also worth noting, on the fifty fund site where it has "37" ill be either a 50 or 20

SVR Vacs:

7th Aug as I said is a 50, most likley 50031 but dont be upset if 50035 shows
14th Aug is a 50
29th Aug is a 50
18th Sept is either a 20 or 50, doubt 37 will be fixed by then

Last edited:

Dreadnought

042 should run at the NYMR gala 17th-19th sept but errm....

Would that not be 50027 as 50042 is at the Bodmin & Wenford Railway and not seen any mention of this one attending the NYMR gala this year.

GearJammer

but if you want doubble headed vacs then wait untill next year, should have 026 044 and 049 to choose from

Cheers 37401, the point i was making was not just nessarily for double headed vacs (seen that before and will never get bored of it) but for two unrefurbished vacs double heading on the WCML, its something not seen before in preservation :)

455driver

Veteran Member
50050 is rusting at Yeovil Railway centre

Really, what FACTS have you got to back this up?

For your information most of the work is taking place INSIDE the loco so you obviously wont see any difference outside.
If it concerns you that much why dont you volunteer to go and give them a hand, you can sort out the outside if it means that much to you.

455driver

Veteran Member
No it isnt

this is what gets my chain, people who do sod all yet are the first to moan

On a similar note, I was at Plymouth a while ago for the Western and 40. We were stood on the bridge to the north of the station while they ran the 40 round and put it inside the Western. There was a bloke there moaning (effing and beeing in front of my kids) about having 100s of pictures of that crap (the western) and why couldnt they put the 40 on the front.
I (not very politely, I dont do PC) told him to stop swearing and why doesnt he complain and get his money back, he replied "I haven't paid anything" and I said "well what do you want for nothing".
I then explained that the Western needed to be on the front so it could be removed easily and the 40 would then take the train forward onto the ELR.

Bloody idiot!

GearJammer

50050 is rusting at Yeovil Railway centre

Yes that is a bit harsh, yes it is looking a bit grotty at the moment but you only have to read the railway magazines to see bits of information and updates on its restoration to see that it does have a team of people working on it, incidently what livery will it be making its comeback in, will it be as D400? It would look nice.

This is why i was asking about 50021, looking at the pics on the Preserved Diesels website it also is looking a bit grotty and rundown but you never hear anything about what if anything is happening to it!

Templecombe

Really, what FACTS have you got to back this up?

For your information most of the work is taking place INSIDE the loco so you obviously wont see any difference outside.
If it concerns you that much why dont you volunteer to go and give them a hand, you can sort out the outside if it means that much to you.

it doesn't matter to me not my responsability
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Odd. It was moving the other day....

I know it seen it move.
No it isnt

this is what gets my chain, people who do sod all yet are the first to moan when it comes down to "I dont like that livery, its crap" "why this" "why that"
yet they wont put their money where their mouth is, its like a few weeks back my mate overheard someone moaning about 50015 in LLB saying it looks crap and it should have gone into dutch, same with our 50035 and 50044 all the non shareholders were the ones saying how rubbish the livery is yet they havnt done sod all, people work very very hard and give up lots of hours to restore locos such as 50050 and its people who come out with "its crap" "its not having anything done to it" that should be made to restore the whole loco themselves, shut em up then!

50050 is being restored and as Foxhound said it was moving the other day

Why dont you put your money where your mouth is and do something to stop this invisible rust: http://www.d400fund.org.uk/help.html
(Click donate)

because I don't waste my money on scrap

455driver

Veteran Member
Templecombe, you really do write a load of crap at times, if it isnt your responsibility and you have no interest then dont write about it!
I am sure the people restoring 50050 really appreciate your condescending, arrogant comments.

Why dont you do everbody a favour and go play with one of your voyagers and leave the real trains to people that care!

Established Member
...rant...
Might want to be careful how much slagging off you do of the people who might just turn up to support 'your' locos on running/mainline days or you might end up with lots of pretty engines sitting in a shed not doing anything. Look at what happened to the DPS.

And about liveries, you can't polish a turd... ;)

Last edited:

Established Member
Might want to be careful how much slagging off you do of the people who might just turn up to support 'your' locos on running/mainline days or you might end up with lots of pretty engines sitting in a shed not doing anything. Look at what happened to the DPS.

And about liveries, you can't polish a turd... ;)

eh? my rant was supporting those who work hard to restore locos?

my rant was aimed at the ones who "dont do nothing, wont ever do nothing, cant ever be bothered but will always complain"

Also the liveries bit, I only said as it was a quote

it doesn't matter to me not my responsability....

....because I don't waste my money on scrap

I dont know what to say really to those comments, if you have no intrest in the class then why bother posting? or maybe you just wanted a recation to your post about it rotting?

Internals are more important than externals, no good having a nice looking loco thats broken inside, so while it may not look brand new on the outside inside its being worked on

Last edited:

Established Member
eh? my rant was supporting those who work hard to restore locos?

my rant was aimed at the ones who "dont do nothing, wont ever do nothing, cant ever be bothered but will always complain"

Also the liveries bit, I only said as it was a quote

I think what 87015 was trying to say is comments such as 'put your money where your mouth is' regarding people who have moaned about liveries are a tad unfair. How do you know those people are not shareholders/have not put donations towards the locos or have not been on every railtour since 31 first returned to the mainline and therefore put hundreds, possibly thousands of pounds to the locos future. Simlarly they may have put nothing, but you cannot tell and if people see someone ranting about their views they may 'take the umph!' to coin a phrase and not support in the future. If thats not what 87015 was getting at I am sure he will correct me?!

Established Member
I think what 87015 was trying to say is comments such as 'put your money where your mouth is' regarding people who have moaned about liveries are a tad unfair. How do you know those people are not shareholders/have not put donations towards the locos or have not been on every railtour since 31 first returned to the mainline and therefore put hundreds, possibly thousands of pounds to the locos future. Simlarly they may have put nothing, but you cannot tell and if people see someone ranting about their views they may 'take the umph!' to coin a phrase and not support in the future. If thats not what 87015 was getting at I am sure he will correct me?!

Fair 'nuff but usually if I hear someone ranting I'll ask if they are members shareholders or such

Anyways my post was to templecomb who said why waste money on scrap and has no intrest

My rant was aimed at those who do nothing but moan at everything not those who work hard and put the pennies in, regardless I've made my point to templecombe and will edit my rant
Also put your money where your mouth Is wasn't regarding liveries it was at templecombes "it's rusting" comment, my rant was in favour of the hard workers who put it all in be it donations or hard graft, as I said I ask if they are members first , rant second :lol: if you see what I'm on about

Established Member
Fair 'nuff but usually if I hear someone ranting I'll ask if they are members shareholders or such

Anyways my post was to templecomb who said why waste money on scrap and has no intrest

My rant was aimed at those who do nothing but moan at everything not those who work hard and put the pennies in, regardless I've made my point to templecombe and will edit my rant
Also put your money where your mouth Is wasn't regarding liveries it was at templecombes "it's rusting" comment, my rant was in favour of the hard workers who put it all in be it donations or hard graft, as I said I ask if they are members first , rant second :lol: if you see what I'm on about

I agree with what you say, if people put nothing in then they should expect nothing back and not voice their opinions about something that has been done in other peoples time with other peoples money. Those that do put time or money into things should, in my view, then be allowed an opinion on it. Maybe it was just the way you worded it that confused me/87015.

Established Member
I agree with what you say, if people put nothing in then they should expect nothing back and not voice their opinions about something that has been done in other peoples time with other peoples money. Those that do put time or money into things should, in my view, then be allowed an opinion on it. Maybe it was just the way you worded it that confused me/87015.

Yeah, how you put it was exacly the way I meant it :D

The Snap

Established Member
Although I agree that people shouldn't make off-the-cuff remarks about things they know very little about, I also believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion. If Templecombe believes that his money is better spent elsewhere, then that's fine, and I don't think it's fair to criticise him for not liking one type of loco/unit over another. Having said that, there's no point in Templecombe commenting on Class 50s if he has no interest in them...

Whether you've put money into something or not, you are still entitled to your opinion. No one has the right to deny you an opinion (not in this country anyway!). I do appreciate, though, that the people who put the effort and the money in get a bit miffed when people criticise them or their assets without having contributed anything themselves.

Foxhound

Let's face it, all locos, whether they're 50s or not (and they are never going to be my first choice of traction), will, at some time, show signs of age. In metals, age is quite often shown by rust. It's just life. The people actively involved in their maintenance have to ensure they get (and keep) the internals right, and as long as the bodywork is serviceable (D832 was a bit patchy, for example, but the D&EPG are doing a sterling job of keeping her running), surely that's all that matters. For an idea of how expensive it is to actually prep and then paint a loco properly, ask the Great Gable boys. They have always done a thorough job of bodywork overhauls. Luckily for them (and for their supporters), they have had a good response whenever they have needed to raise funds to do such work. It costs a lot of money to do any of the preservation thing these days, and there are only finite numbers of people and finite funds around to do it. If I wanted to be a member of every group involved with the locos I follow, I would have to win the lottery to pay my fees....

I'm glad Fearless is running again, and am happy to see any preserved loco running to be fair.

Trolling a rail forum is a bit pointless, but that appeared to be Templecombe's aim.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Trolling a rail forum is a bit pointless, but that appeared to be Templecombe's aim.

I agree with your whole post but this I find the best point, I see Templecombe isn't responding to any of the criticism aimed at him, he must be out on his beloved voyagers ;)

GearJammer

Ok i just made a donation to the D400 fund :D

Can i shout from the roof tops what colour i'd like it painted now? :D

Im also guessing that still no one has any info on 50021?:cry:

Established Member

Not really, I was more disturbed by the 'volunteer/members only' ideology. None of us know he doesn't support preservation. You certainly don't have to be a member of a line or loco group to support preservation, having rants at people who 'contribute nothing' is hardly the way to encourage them and that can only lead to less money entering pres, be it group subs or travel tickets and in turn that can only be a bad thing for the entire movement.

Preserved lines require a major investment of money, time and effort by both the paying ticket holders and the volunteers, without both sets of people then the sector will not be able to survive in its own right without sugar-daddy cash injections which themselves are ultimately unsustainable.

Foxhound

You could nose about on the PD forum, the owning group might respond to you there.
Can i shout from the roof tops what colour i'd like it painted now?

Green..... <D

Templecombe

I agree with your whole post but this I find the best point, I see Templecombe isn't responding to any of the criticism aimed at him, he must be out on his beloved voyagers ;)

SO............. sorry i've been out unit bashing, so just because I don't pay money towards this engine I'm not allowed to voice my views on it

Established Member
SO............. sorry i've been out unit bashing, so just because I don't pay money towards this engine I'm not allowed to voice my views on it

You didnt post opinion though, you posted an incorrect fact

"50050 is rotting at yeovil"

thats not an opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.