• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lets talk 50's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE1888

Had a good few trips behind 50042 Triumph yesterday at Bodmin and Wenford Diesel Gala, good day out...
dscn1410.jpg

Running around at Bodmin Parkway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

50Fan91

I attended the Bodmin gala on the Sunday, and was particularly pleased with this shot - taken after "Triumph" had been removed from the front of the train and was in the process of being moved in to the shed.

Attachments

• IMGP2733.jpg
    IMGP2733.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 38

andyrowlands

Check out the latest progress on 50050 at D400fund.org.uk
There's also a Facebook page for Fearless now as well.

Last edited:

dugdug03

Check out the latest progress on 50050 at D400fund.org.uk
There's also a Facebook page for Fearless now as well.

Andy, You seem to be an excellent source for good information on the class 50's,

Do you know of any plans to have any other class mates of 44/49/31's on the mainline in the future at any point? I seen a few people mentioned 26...

but on a personal note... a 50007 and 50050 reunion (even if just on a preserved line) would be great... and keep up the good work :)

andyrowlands

Andy, You seem to be an excellent source for good information on the class 50's,

Do you know of any plans to have any other class mates of 44/49/31's on the mainline in the future at any point? I seen a few people mentioned 26...

but on a personal note... a 50007 and 50050 reunion (even if just on a preserved line) would be great... and keep up the good work :)

As far as I know, 26 should be sometime next year, but I'm not associated with 26, so that's only what I've heard. Of the ones I'm associated with; if all goes well, Thunderer maybe the year after, depending on how long the current repairs take (traction motor repair, refit AWS & vac brake equipment). Possibly Glorious in a couple years if her custodians pay for the work required. At some point in the future, Repulse might go mainline, but that's a long way off yet, we have to finish rebuilding her first!!

I'm not aware of any plans for Fearless to visit any preserved lines at present, her owners want to finish the repaint into D400 and get her fully operational first (rad fan & motor blower repairs) before they look at visits. There is a remote possibility she may go mainline in the future.

Whistler40145

Established Member
In the past, Class 50s have had a lower max speed to reduce the chance of Main Generator & Traction Motor flashovers, will this happen on 50026?

andyrowlands

In the past, Class 50s have had a lower max speed to reduce the chance of Main Generator & Traction Motor flashovers, will this happen on 50026?

I don't know is the honest answer, as I'm not involved with 50026. There is still the 50026.com website, but the last entry was in 2008 so I don't know if it still being used. There might be a 'contact us' button there.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Depends on two factors. First of all finance & secondly sufficient work to make it worthwhile putting her back on the mainline.

Would prefer 50007 on the mainline, which is highly unlikely!

zn1

what is the aversion to the NSE LIVERY?

i always liked it, it is colourful, bright and looked great on some classes, the later paintworks always looked better on class 50 and 47's

it suited the Mk1 & MK2's and even some EMU's looked good in it.

it would be a good thing to resurrect it on a rake or even a few coaches, slot a couple in it will make a change !!

NSE was the best thing of the last days of British rail. chris green and nse was a person and something I was always proud to for, albeit as a very small cog in his massive successful machine !!

dugdug03

Depends on two factors. First of all finance & secondly sufficient work to make it worthwhile putting her back on the mainline.

Would prefer 50007 on the mainline, which is highly unlikely!

What's wrong with 007 to stop it going mainline? I was always under the impression sir Edward Elgar was one of the class 50's that got looked after on a more regular basis to ensure it was able to run each summer down?

However I could be very wrong :(

Whistler40145

Established Member
50007 was a favourite of Laira Depot & lasted to the very end, so at that point it would have been in superb mechanical order, but I am not sure what condition it would be in after so many years on a preserved railway.

You would also have to re-register 50033 & 50050 as they were part of the final trio at Laira.

GearJammer

what is the aversion to the NSE LIVERY?

i always liked it, it is colourful, bright and looked great on some classes, the later paintworks always looked better on class 50 and 47's

it suited the Mk1 & MK2's and even some EMU's looked good in it.

it would be a good thing to resurrect it on a rake or even a few coaches, slot a couple in it will make a change !!

NSE was the best thing of the last days of British rail. chris green and nse was a person and something I was always proud to for, albeit as a very small cog in his massive successful machine !!

I quite agree, i think the final version of NSE looked good on a 50, one of the best liveries they carried, shame only 50027 currently carries it, im very much looking forward to seeing 50017 completed in the first style of NSE.
My personal favourite was 50037, but i always thought 50018 looked the buiseness in the final NSE with 3 piece snow ploughs and a nice covering of dirt.

Also liked 50046, ironically all three (18,37 & 46) made the trek to their final resting place at MC Metals Glasgow together.

andyrowlands

50007 was a favourite of Laira Depot & lasted to the very end, so at that point it would have been in superb mechanical order, but I am not sure what condition it would be in after so many years on a preserved railway.

You would also have to re-register 50033 & 50050 as they were part of the final trio at Laira.

50050 was re-registered on TOPS last year, and there is a distant possibility it may be fitted with TPWS & OTMR for mainline use at some point. Glorious may also be re-certified for the mainline if the current custodians pay for the necessary work.

50Fan91

It occurred to me on reading these posts that although I've been keeping myself up to date on the contents of this thread, I haven't actually provided an update on 50017 for quite some time.

So, progress on Royal Oak is currently excellent. All of the body work is now complete. All hatches have been replaced, all louvres and grills have been refitted and all four cab sides have been almost completely rebuilt by the loco's owner. Although filling and sanding is ostensibly finished, it seems that each week someone finds another bit which needs 'touching up', but with the application of paint now underway this process is also drawing to a close.

The roof received its second layer of top coat last month, and since then has needed to be regularly dusted to remind us that we have at least finished one entire section of the painting.. The rest of the loco is now resplendent in grey undercoat, along with yellow warning panels. There was a period of time last week when the loco could have passed for 50035 Ark Royal when it made its undercoat run in 1986!

In the last few days, the extremely accurate slightly-wobbly-made-from-chipboard template for the up-swept ends has been offered up to the cab sides of number two end, and white top coat now surrounds the windows. It extends back to the doors, and also down the cab sides.

The loco is scheduled to be kicked out of *cough* moved from the Plym Valley's shed by Christmas, so by this stage ALL painting must be completed. It is unlikely, however, that the loco will have any public running days before Easter, as there is still work to be completed on the loco once outside, not to mention it's probably not the best time of year to entice enthusiasts to a damp and dismal Plymouth..

Outdoor work will include internal repairs, cab renovation, (cleaning primarily!) and possibly painting of the wheel sets, bogies, compressor, etc. .. depending on the weather.

Internally, it is hoped that the loco is still in a condition where it will be ready to start-up without incident. The engine is barred over every week, and the batteries received there most recent top-up charge last week.

And that, I think, covers just about everything! It's an exciting time for 50s - Royal Oak especially!

andyrowlands

Internally, it is hoped that the loco is still in a condition where it will be ready to start-up without incident. The engine is barred over every week, and the batteries received there most recent top-up charge last week.

You will need to discharge the batteries as well as keep charging them, to keep them in good condition. Put all the internal & external lights on during several consecutive working days to take the batteries down then charge the following workday.

andyrowlands

How much work would it take to put 50035 back on the Mainline?

If you're meaning actual manual work; probably some sort of overhaul, and fitting of TPWS & OTMR equipment. If you mean examinations & documentation; several months worth I would guess. Plus the costs of getting re-registered. I believe it cost the 40145 group £150,000.

tractor

looking at tho photos of 50044,whats happened to the side of her body?looks bit dented?

I think the source of the 'dents' or ripples:

http://englishelectric.zenfolio.com/p351363213/h1c7b552c#h1c7b552c

comes from the fact that when it was dumped at Stratford a large flame-cut was hacked out of it where the number used to be whilst in NSE livery.

Metal plate was subsequently welded back into this but obviously the body probably flexed somewhat and this has caused the apparent crease in the bodywork. It was less noticeable when the paintwork had less of a gleam to it.

50Fan91

Check out the latest issue of Railways Illustrated for the most recent information on the restoration of "Royal Oak"! The article includes the first published photo of the loco in its new livery - original Network SouthEast.

Status
Not open for further replies.