• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lets talk 50's

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugdug03

Evening all!

Ok i had most of the links to where i can find information on the peserved class 50's

However i done a system restore and lost my favorites :(

Please can anyone provide me with website link/links to where i can find information on each class member

I have the 50 funds website and D400/50050 but cant find any others

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

50Fan91

Right then! This thread hasn't received a bump in a while, and as opposed to a starting a new thread this seems as good a place as any to post some more details regarding the current state of 50017.

The restoration of "Royal Oak" is now in the final stages. Externally, the loco is 99% complete with only the B side bogies and under frame awaiting the final coat of paint. Internally, the number 1 end cab is in the process of being rebuilt, whilst the number 2 end has yet to receive much attention - work here will start once we're happy with number 1 end!

50017 now has a new online presence, so if you have a Facebook account and would like to keep up to date with restoration progress, share a picture or view a history of the loco since its arrival at the Plym Valley Railway in 2009, please go to http://www.facebook.com/50017RoyalOak and hit like!

We're really pleased with the results of the restoration of 50017, and we can't wait to share those results with you - watch this space, it won't be long now.

50Fan91

Out of interest, how is the 37 coming on there?

Progress on 37207 "William Cookworthy" at the present time is very slow. The owner is currently heavily involved in infrastructure work on the Plym Valley's Plym Bridge extension. When this is finished towards the end of the year, he intends to turn his attention to returning this popular Cornish 37 to working order.

50Fan91

You've done a great job guys. It looks a darn sight better than it used to do a few years back at Tyseley:

http://englishelectric.zenfolio.com/50017/e2c721d15

And I assume it now actually runs! :lol:

Thank you! Bear in mind that the pictures on the Facebook page so far only cover the period up until the application of the undercoat in November 2011.. Things are looking even more impressive now! Further pictures will be added very soon.

Cymroglan

Looks like 2012 will be a good year for 50s

Agreed! Could be the best year since withdrawal?
A very long time ago (pre children!), I saw the whole lot in 12 months and had a ride behind them all in 30 months. Now that the last fledgling has flown the nest, I'm determined to ride behind as many 50s as possible in 2012.
Many happy memories of the Waterloo - Exeter line, and especially of Gillingham (Dorset), my local station in those days.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Progress on 37207 "William Cookworthy" at the present time is very slow. The owner is currently heavily involved in infrastructure work on the Plym Valley's Plym Bridge extension. When this is finished towards the end of the year, he intends to turn his attention to returning this popular Cornish 37 to working order.

Thanks for the update. Is the 08 still operational? (Sorry for more questions!)

50Fan91

Is the 08 still operational? (Sorry for more questions!)

Don't worry, I'm glad to be able to help! The class 08, 13002, is currently operational and a mainstay of the Plym Valley Railway fleet alongside "Albert" and the "Vanguard" shunter.

50 related:

Please be sure to check out 50017's new Facebook page! We are regularly updating this with pictures, news and events information.

http://www.facebook.com/50017RoyalOak

Last edited:

TGVDUDE

I recently viewed a photo of 50026 hitching a ride to Swanage with 57312! Looking forward to next weekend now! :)

50Fan91

50017 "Royal Oak" successfully completed four return trips of the Plym Valley Railway on Saturday, May 5th. The loco was rededicated and crested by Mr Kenneth Toop, survivor of the sinking of HMS Royal Oak in 1939.

The attached photo shows the loco sat at Marsh Mills station, work showing the start of the platform extension in the foreground.

Attachments

• IMGP4268.jpg
    IMGP4268.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

50Fan91

(Sorry! Duplicate post trying to add a signature to the above post! Apologies!) :(

dugdug03

50017 is running this weekend, However does anyone know of any up and coming runnings on preserved railways for other class members?

455driver

Veteran Member
I don't think it would come as too much of a surprise for me to say 29 & 30 over Shap & Beattock.;)

Thats because you are just a little biased, cant think why! ;)

Oh you "upset" somebody yeasterday by grabbing the 50017 label number 30 :lol:, somebody else wanted that one, but he did get number 29 instead ;).

Me personally, 50017 solo on 10 mark2Cs (dont want to push the genny too hard) on the same route as you.
I can hear it now, {drifts off into a dreamworld} :lol:

GearJammer

Thats because you are just a little biased, cant think why! ;)

Oh you "upset" somebody yeasterday by grabbing the 50017 label number 30 :lol:, somebody else wanted that one, but he did get number 29 instead ;).

Me personally, 50017 solo on 10 mark2Cs (dont want to push the genny too hard) on the same route as you.
I can hear it now, {drifts off into a dreamworld} :lol:

I heard somebody ask for 37.... i thought sorry, already brought and paid for by yours truely :P

I think they were all sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.