• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Letter from TfL to FCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Looks like FCC are in trouble! :D

Ms Elaine Holt
Managing Director
First Capital Connect
Hertford House
1 Cranwood Street
London EC1V 9QS

7th June 2006

Dear Elaine

Announcement on Fares - 6th June

I refer to your recent announcement that you will be unilaterally
imposing restrictions on cheap-day tickets on Thameslink and Great
Northern without effective prior consultation with stakeholders.

I would remind you that the purpose of railways in London is for the
benefit of Londers and London's economy by attracting people to visit
London. The management of overcrowding is not simply achieved by
dramatic fare increases.

I note also in your press release that the wording regarding travelcards
is not clear unless you read it very carefully. If you are considering
withdrawals here, TfL will resist them.

I would also ask you to cease attempts to obliterate references to the
name Thameslink in official station signage.

If you are not prepared to be responsive to the needs of London and
London's economy, I am not prepared to support continuance as holder of
the new Thameslink and Great Northern franchise (which I understand you
have unilaterally renamed First Capital Connect, again without any
consultation whatsoever).

I look forward to your confirmation that you have reconsidered your
position and will be advising the public to this effect.
Yours sincerely,
Ian Brown
Managing Director, London Rail
['Mayor of London' logo]
['A division of Transport for London' etc wording]

A very strongly worded letter! And damn right too.
I also like the way they tell them off for destroying the Thameslink name :D Class!

Now all we need is First Transpennine, First Great Western and First Scotrail to be told off for implementing their own ridiculous restrictions on Savers and CDRs. First need to be told where to stick it, and I am pleased TfL have had the courage to do so.

Press release here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/press-releases/press-releases-content.asp?prID=831

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GreatEastern

TfL should also be pushing One to drop their CDR restrictions in the evening peak which were put in place in January, although at the moment One haven't gone as far as banning Off Peak Travelcards, but it can't be far away

devon_metro

Established Member
Good news! Someone tell them about cutting the DDR off at Tiverton Parkway and then rasing the price to a tenner! Madness!

T

Tom

'one' cannot ban off peak travelcards.

In London, the off-peak period is 0930 - 0500 (next day)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tom said:
'one' cannot ban off peak travelcards.

They can, from Harold Wood (edge of zones), you can travel within the zones, but not make the return to your start station.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's good to know that TfL are willing to take some action against what is a completely unfair restriction imposed by First group.

Out of interest, what restrictions have been imposed by TPE?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Regarding travelcards - they can only be banned on services that go outside the zones. This is fine on GNER where such a rule applies, as none stop within the Zones. But on a TOC that has a mix of services it's downright confusing, and the way FCC did it even more so!

laverack222 said:
Out of interest, what restrictions have been imposed by TPE?
Withdrawal of some CDRs and restrictions on use of Savers to Manchester, however the restrictions on Savers are not publicised so are probably unenforceable anyway.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good on them! Good to see them cracking down on them! Now we just need the same thing elsewhere in the UK! I don't give two hoots if they've billions to pay in premiums, that's tough, pricing people off trains will not work!

Sturdjos

yorkie said:
Regarding travelcards - they can only be banned on services that go outside the zones. This is fine on GNER where such a rule applies, as none stop within the Zones. But on a TOC that has a mix of services it's downright confusing, and the way FCC did it even more so!

Withdrawal of some CDRs and restrictions on use of Savers to Manchester, however the restrictions on Savers are not publicised so are probably unenforceable anyway.

Seeing as I live in Brentwood, and obviously get a train that goes outside the zones, will this affect me? If it does, I can simply get a single from Brentwood to Harold Wood, and get a travelcard from there :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sturdjos said:
Seeing as I live in Brentwood, and obviously get a train that goes outside the zones, will this affect me? If it does, I can simply get a single from Brentwood to Harold Wood, and get a travelcard from there :)
Without having access to a fares manual I can't check, but I believe so. Are there any notices/signs stating that there are restrictions on the use of CDRs from Harold Wood to stations east of there? If not, then you should be fine.

None of the moneygrabbers can deny the use of off peak travelcards at any time after 0930 within the zones, no matter how much they want to! :thefinge:

GreatEastern

Sturdjos said:

No - because One haven't introduced a restriction on the Off Peak Travelcard, only the Cheap Day Return.

If they did impose restrictions on the off peak TC (return portion - like FCC) you could buy a CDR from Brentwood to Harold Wood then a TC from there, as if they used the same restrictions as the CDR ban then the only stations you couldn't travel from are Liverpool Street or Stratford if you're GE or Tottenham Hale and Seven Sisters on the WA

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As others have said, Sturdjos, you wouldn't need to do that, as 'one' haven't banned the use of an Off Peak TravelCard, so you can just buy one of those and use it any time after the cut off point.
This is probably also why TfL haven't "had a go" at 'one,' as they've only banned CDRs, not Offpeak Travelcards.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Bah, just give the franchise to National Express Group! Far better than First anyday!

Sprog

Established Member
With the way the next 'generation' are....we are well and truley screwed....

You think all the litt;e scrotes growing up these days are gonna make this counrty better? Yeah right...more like take away what little good things it has left...........

Tom B

Established Member
Trouble is, it's changed from being a publicly owned monopoly to a privately owned oligopoly...

It's amazing how First can do what the hell they like, but are only reprimanded when they do something that could affect London...

Jim

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
Good news! Someone tell them about cutting the DDR off at Tiverton Parkway and then rasing the price to a tenner! Madness!
That is wrong, they reduced the price to £5 & £10 instead of £7 & £14

Status
Not open for further replies.