• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Letters on inside of tube carriages

Status
Not open for further replies.

causton

Established Member
Why are there letters above the windows on the inside of tube carriages? I have found them on the inside of Jubilee line stock in the centre of the panel between the windows and the advert panels with acronyms like PCOS. Any explanation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bengley

Established Member
They are linked with equipment under either that seat or the adjacent panel on the floor.

It's just to let the driver/maintenance staff know what is there.

Example: NSLG is negative shoe lifting gear.

Tubeman

...And look out for the little star on the ceiling, that indicates the floor hatch for lifting Negative shoes.

They vary from stock to stock, I could probably still recall every single 1959 Stock acronym as these were drummed into us parrot fashion in the olden days of 'going up for Motors'. I ought to know all the C and D stock ones too.

Those ending in '-COS' = 'Cut out switch'

e.g. ComCOS = Compressor cut out switch
TCOS = Traction cut out switch

'-IC' = 'Isolating cock'

e.g. MLIC = Mainline isolating cock
DIC = Door isolating cock

Others off the top of my head: BRV = Brake release valve, EL = Emergency ladder, IS = Ice scraper

DavyCrocket

Then there's doors.
M from cab to track (middle door)
N nearside cab door
O offside cab door
J cab to saloon door

R and S car communicating doors

Then the passenger door leaves have letters too.
(there might well be more letters)

I'm 99% sure that star is to do with brakes (release?), it's been donkeys since I've done a stock course!

Tubeman

I'm sure it's directly above the floor hatch above Neggie show lifting gear... Brake release would be BRV.

Status
Not open for further replies.