• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leuchars Army Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what air operations still happen here? I thought it was just the air experience unit and air cadets but I just passed there and saw a C-17.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
The airfield is still operational and the RAF still use it for training purposes also.
I knew they used it for training with light aircraft like Tucanos, but I was surprised to see a C-17.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I knew they used it for training with light aircraft like Tucanos, but I was surprised to see a C-17.

It's a relief landing ground so any aircraft could use it. Equally likely of course is the idea that the C17 was actually picking up troops there.

fowler9

Established Member
It's a relief landing ground so any aircraft could use it. Equally likely of course is the idea that the C17 was actually picking up troops there.

I work with these people so, erm, what he said. Ha ha. :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

You get A-400's, C-17's, Tornados, Typhoons and Hawks at JLA. Getting a C-17 at a military base isn't too unusual.

Elwyn

I live not too far from what was once RAF Ballykelly in Northern Ireland. After the RAF left it was still used regularly for assorted military activity. Helicopters, spotter places, training flights etc. You would occasionally see Hercules flying in and out. One day a Ryanair scheduled flight from Liverpool landed there by mistake. The pilot was evidently making a visual approach to the City of Derry civil airport a few miles away but mistook Ballykelly for the correct airport. I dare say there was a bit of paperwork following that slip up. See:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4857962.stm

So just because the RAF have mostly left, who knows what aircraft you may see at Leuchars.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I live not too far from what was once RAF Ballykelly in Northern Ireland. After the RAF left it was still used regularly for assorted military activity. Helicopters, spotter places, training flights etc. You would occasionally see Hercules flying in and out. One day a Ryanair scheduled flight from Liverpool landed there by mistake. The pilot was evidently making a visual approach to the City of Derry civil airport a few miles away but mistook Ballykelly for the correct airport. I dare say there was a bit of paperwork following that slip up. See:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4857962.stm

So just because the RAF have mostly left, who knows what aircraft you may see at Leuchars.

Another interesting fact about Ballykelly is that it's one of very few airfields that had an active railway line crossing the runway. One for the trivia bods on here to pop into Google images.

Western Lord

And, of course, Leuchars is very useful for the top golfers bizjets when the Open Championship is held at St. Andrews! Next scheduled for 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.