• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level Crossing Bump Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GreatEastern

Considering what those old 3 wheelers are made of I'm surprised he was able to open the thing!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yep, was posted here in May ( http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67391&postcount=6 )

Fortunately we can see the funny side as no-one was hurt, but it does demonstrate just how bird-brained some people are. If I had my way the perpetrator would personally pay compensation to all passengers delayed, and to the train driver for the shock, and be banned from driving forever. Sadly none of that will happen, and I bet he's back on the roads already.

T

Tom

In RI, there are mentions of NR going to smash up a 31 for a safety video.

Dennis

Established Member
Tom said:
In RI, there are mentions of NR going to smash up a 31 for a safety video.

That's correct, 31107 has had a repaint at Barrow Hill ready to take a starring role in a filmed collision with a road vehicle.

Jim

Established Member
Dennis said:
That's correct, 31107 has had a repaint at Barrow Hill ready to take a starring role in a filmed collision with a road vehicle.
Could of used a 66 instead

Coxster

Established Member
Why would they smash up something needed on the network?

Coxster

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
31s are sometimes needed ;)
It's just not comparible with 220s & 66s when you think only about 12 of the 263 built are currently mainline certified.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Besides, NR don't own any Voyagers or 66s, none of the former are for sale, and to build a new one of the latter is totally pointless, especially as there must be well over 100 heaps of old locos about.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can only assume Jim was joking and it's been taken seriously! :sign5:

Jonno2055

Well I should guess that the 31 won't get too damaged, and NR would probably use an 'average sized' car in the video. I got a fancy letter through the door the other day with a hologram on it of a car being smashed up on a crossing, I expect you all got one as well.

Jonno

Coxster

Established Member
Jonno2055 said:
I expect you all got one as well.
Nope! They could stage at a safe speed and then speed it up so it looks faster, making sure it doesn't affect things like the speed of the barriers/crossing lights.

LucaZone

The RI article is a farse in itself. The entire cover is adorned with a NR 31 and the headline "Smash it up!" or something. Certainly a cover the caught my eye (although i didnt buy the magazine in the end), yet the whole thing amounted to less than a 3rd of a page news bite about Network Rail looing at running over a car with the class 31 in order to convey the dangers presented at level crossings.

The tit bit also stated that NR were unsure (at the time of writing i guess) of the cost effectiveness of such a setup considering the possible damage and subsequent repairs to the loco that would be used. Certainly no mention of a scrapped loco was made, more than an in service one would be used and then returned to duties afterwards.

D

Double Trigger

Having had more than one near miss whilst at work now, even when you don't hit them in the end, I can assure you the driver up front is crapping themselves regardless!

Though I did have to laugh at the Robin Reliant...

Dennis

Established Member
Double Trigger said:
Having had more than one near miss whilst at work now, even when you don't hit them in the end, I can assure you the driver up front is crapping themselves regardless!

Though I did have to laugh at the Robin Reliant...

Correction - it's not a Robin Reliant but a Reliant Rialto

TheSlash

Established Member
That video has been going round for awhile, i saw it on the computer at work about 3 weeks ago, then it came out on the BBC news website etc

Sprinter

I have a Police Stop video which contains a clip of a level crossing with an incredible SIXTEEN vehicles passing through the flashing red lights before the barriers came fully down!

Sprog

Established Member
ITS GARETH HALE DRIVING HIS 'BIG-RIG' ;) :roll:

*giggles* :lol: :lol:

andel

the video from the first post is Bucknell on the Heart Of Wales line - we always wonder if we'll hit anyone. Looks like the typical Knighton in-breed to me. He's just lucky its not a 50 that is planned for the line in a couple of weeks (Yeah, they're not going that far either - double lucky?)

Status
Not open for further replies.