• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level crossing collision on the North Norfolk Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Report of a level crossing incident on the North Norfolk Railway this afternoon (17/11)
ITV news said:
A car has crashed into a train at a level crossing in North Norfolk.

Norfolk Police tweeted a picture of the scene near Sheringham Golf club this afternoon. The collision happened on the North Norfolk Railway (Poppy Line) at the Sweet Briar Lane crossing.

Officers say noone was injured.
Link:
https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2018-11-17/car-and-train-collide-on-level-crossing/

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edders23

I think the driver will have a lot of explaining to do:oops: especially to his mates at the golf club :lol:

eastdyke

Established Member
I don't think he's got any mates now, Golf Course suspends membership for any crossing incident
I am pleased that no-one was hurt and that no damage was apparently sustained by that fine looking Y14(J15).
Not an excuse of course but -
If the signage is still as it was when this street view was taken in 2017 then NNR should take a look:
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.942...4!1sm3tM7TWKhbFrxkAY_HlP6g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Bearing in mind the picture was taken by a roof mounted camera, the left side warning lights/sign would be at least partly obscured from a car driver at a distance (by the hedge).
The warning STOP board at the right is starting to fade and it too will be partly obscured if the scrub has continued to grow.
Finally there appears to be no warning STOP board on the Golf Club side.

theironroad

Established Member
I am pleased that no-one was hurt and that no damage was apparently sustained by that fine looking Y14(J15).
If the signage is still as it was when this street view was taken in 2017 then NNR should take a look:
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.942...4!1sm3tM7TWKhbFrxkAY_HlP6g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Bearing in mind the picture was taken by a roof mounted camera, the left side warning lights/sign would be at least partly obscured from a car driver at a distance (by the hedge).
The warning STOP board at the right is starting to fade and it too will be partly obscured if the scrub has continued to grow.

On the BBC website, the railway has claimed that both lights and sirens were working correctly and the crash pic shows the car was approaching from the non-golf club side of the track.

The link from Google maps you've kindly provided shows (despite the shortcomings you've listed) that the driver would have plenty of warning from the lights and I'm guessing they chose to try and beat the train, which the BBC reports was travelling at 8mph.

eastdyke

Established Member
On the BBC website, the railway has claimed that both lights and sirens were working correctly and the crash pic shows the car was approaching from the non-golf club side of the track.

The link from Google maps you've kindly provided shows (despite the shortcomings you've listed) that the driver would have plenty of warning from the lights and I'm guessing they chose to try and beat the train, which the BBC reports was travelling at 8mph.
Like I said - not an excuse.

tgrb

I don't think he's got any mates now, Golf Course suspends membership for any crossing incident

How do you know this out of interest?Do you know what if any Other “incidents” have occurred to cause this?

If that’s a club rule I’m guessing there members at some point didn’t take the crossing seriously!

MichaelWells

I'm not sure of the state of it currently, don't normally see the road signs from the back of the train. Misuse is commonly Landward to Golf Course, where its just a gap between houses, ANPR cameras catch them with evidence. The Lights and Sirens were working. But the Mercs drivers brain was not.

How do you know this out of interest?Do you know what if any Other “incidents” have occurred to cause this?

If that’s a club rule I’m guessing there members at some point didn’t take the crossing seriously!

ANPR cameras installed, lots of jumping the lights,

Timings for the activation to the train being on the crossing are
24 Seconds Down, Holt to Sheringham (Right to Left)
23 Seconds Up, Sheringham to Holt (Left to Right)
Longer than most AOCLs with a white flashing light for the driver if all the circuits are correctly functioning.

Sulzer023

Typical of BBC negativity by stating on teletext that " The 1912 Y14 locomotive ploughed into the silver Mercedes".Most other reports report the opposite that the car hit the train and the level crossing lights were working normally.

w0033944

I'm not sure of the state of it currently, don't normally see the road signs from the back of the train. Misuse is commonly Landward to Golf Course, where its just a gap between houses, ANPR cameras catch them with evidence. The Lights and Sirens were working. But the Mercs drivers brain was not.

ANPR cameras installed, lots of jumping the lights,

Timings for the activation to the train being on the crossing are
24 Seconds Down, Holt to Sheringham (Right to Left)
23 Seconds Up, Sheringham to Holt (Left to Right)
Longer than most AOCLs with a white flashing light for the driver if all the circuits are correctly functioning.
Thanks for the info. I presume you're a volunteer Guard on the railway; if so, we may have met as I'm a wheelchair user who usually tries to take a round trip on the line most years if I can.

Sulzer023

That post had no text :) I meant to say that the BBC as usual appear to be very negative as far as rail goes. Their teletext report in the main news section states that " a 1912 Y14 steam engine ploughed into a silver Mercedes ". Most reports indicate the opposite view!

Edders23

Typical of BBC negativity by stating on teletext that " The 1912 Y14 locomotive ploughed into the silver Mercedes".Most other reports report the opposite that the car hit the train and the level crossing lights were working normally.

If you look at the photo it's fairly clear that the car hit the loco from the position of the damage

John Webb

Established Member

eastdyke

Established Member
Couple of years, not sure on the exact date, ....
Thanks, found something on the net that suggested 2014 but will not link here as my AV didn't like it!
I was going to say that the deterrent of ANPR cameras needs to be by overt signage to that effect to give best misuse protection but then I spotted this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.942...4!1sbirDvkRr6DI0LuYDCK6nmA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Which you can only see when on top of the crossing :'(

Two pictures of the crossing taken on 30th September 2017 (Click on photo to go to the larger original):
From the approach side towards the Golf Club:
Level crossing on Sweetbriar Lane

© Copyright JThomas and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
From the Golf Club side:

Pretty clear view of the lights, I would have thought........
I take your point but by then the decision 'to risk it' has probably already been made.
No signage of getting caught by camera (ie further deterrent) would have been seen.

Flying Phil

Established Member

To be fair to the BBC, there was a statement from Andrew Munder, the North Norfolk Railway general manager, said: “As the train crossed the level crossing it struck a car that was driving into the main road into the golf club". reported in the NorthNorfolkNews

perhaps a poor choice of words...

Last edited:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Two pictures of the crossing taken on 30th September 2017 (Click on photo to go to the larger original):
From the approach side towards the Golf Club:

© Copyright JThomas and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
From the Golf Club side:

© Copyright JThomas and licensed for reuse under thisCreative Commons Licence.

Pretty clear view of the lights, I would have thought........

Think about it: you're a successful guy, aged 20, in a new BMW/Mercedes whatever.. You going to play the best round of golf in your life, have a beer with mates, and your'e meeting a stunning new girlfriend later for, er ... friendship. You're listening to some great music while driving.

All this, and then you tell me you are expected to notice those silly signs and maybe some flashing red lights? Get real! The railways-road authorities must do better!
:)

TheEdge

Established Member
All this, and then you tell me you are expected to notice those silly signs and maybe some flashing red lights? Get real! The railways-road authorities must do better!
:)

Its 2018. Even with an emoji I'm not sure if you are being serious or not

Flying Phil

Established Member
Silverfoxcc - I think it is more likely that the car ran into the tender (It was running light engine, tender first to Sheringham I believe, to pick up carriages) and was dragged sideways becoming trapped by the post.
70014IronDuke is being ironic......
......after all in, those Hollywood movies, the good guy always is able to just get in front of the locomotive and continue along the road.....

Ianno87

Veteran Member

If true, good and so they should. Very heartening to hear this.

(Not suggesting we know whether or not crossing abuse was the case here, of course).

DanTrain

Having used this crossing (on foot) sometime earlier in the year, I did notice that it was quite late on the signals/sounds. That said, it’s fairly obvious that a massive steam train is coming towards you for a while before the lights come on, you’d have to be a Mercedes driver to not notice/ ignore it... :lol::rolleyes:

Edit: it also looks like a sunny day, so the huge cloud of smoke might have been a giveaway!

Qwerty133

Established Member
I imagine that all of the clubs members were informed of the ANPR cameras by club publications and there may well be further notices inside the club house as to their presence. It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that a level crossing on a drive way for a golf club requires the same protections as one on a busy public road.

mushroomchow

I imagine that all of the clubs members were informed of the ANPR cameras by club publications and there may well be further notices inside the club house as to their presence. It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that a level crossing on a drive way for a golf club requires the same protections as one on a busy public road.

Agreed - even the lights seem somewhat superfluous given the linespeed at that point. I've ridden the NNR a few times and from memory the train is practically at a crawl when crossing. What they should really have is a gated crossing - that is, a manual crossing which the driver has to stop to cross, which could theoretically be manned on running days - but I imagine the Golf Club whose members clearly don't have the patience to wait 25 seconds for a train to pass would refuse such an inconvenience.

It's just an unfortunate side-effect of having a Golf Club and some of the toe-curlingly entitled people who often inhabit such a place as neighbours, I guess - but it's absurd to suggest that the railway is in any way at fault here. Rather, this is a typical case of another middle-class plonker in a German saloon car thinking he owns the road, and finding out the hard way that £25,000 goes down the drain when it comes up against a 65-ton steam loco, even at 8mph. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.