• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level crossing collision on the North Norfolk Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastdyke

Established Member
I imagine that all of the clubs members were informed of the ANPR cameras by club publications and there may well be further notices inside the club house as to their presence. It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that a level crossing on a drive way for a golf club requires the same protections as one on a busy public road.
The driver should not have crossed at the time he chose to. It would be interesting to ask him why he thought that it was safe to cross.
It is naive to assume that all users of that crossing are Club members (possibly even the driver involved here).
The crossing managers have identified crossing misuse and as a result attempted to mitigate risks by installing ANPR cameras. Having gone to the expense it makes no sense to me why overt Camera signs have not been placed to deter misuse.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldie

Some Victorian road justice has been doled out there, hasn't it? The only evidence that the J15 has been in contact with another object is a light polish to the varnish. The Merc wasn't quite so lucky.

Shenandoah

We have not yet read of the car drivers viewpoint, why he continued over the crossing and why he did not see the warnings and hear the locomotive. He may have a reason we don't know yet, but he won't get any sympathy on a railway biased thread! ;)
An earlier post mentions 'clouds of smoke'. At 8 mph. or 10 mph. (I have read two articles with differing speeds quoted) there should not be any clouds of smoke. If there were it would suggest a higher line speed and some acceleration by the locomotive.
If the RAIB investigate, I think they should, then the facts, rather than conjecture, will be known.

MichaelWells

We have not yet read of the car drivers viewpoint, why he continued over the crossing and why he did not see the warnings and hear the locomotive. He may have a reason we don't know yet, but he won't get any sympathy on a railway biased thread! ;)
An earlier post mentions 'clouds of smoke'. At 8 mph. or 10 mph. (I have read two articles with differing speeds quoted) there should not be any clouds of smoke. If there were it would suggest a higher line speed and some acceleration by the locomotive.
If the RAIB investigate, I think they should, then the facts, rather than conjecture, will be known.

Cold day, steam shows more. But from that point, the train does just appear, if only there was a way of knowing one was coming...:lol::lol::lol:;);)

Llanigraham

Established Member
I ran a level crossing on a public road not far from a Golf Club and reckon that most of the abuse, both personal and light ignoring, came from members of that Club.
Funny how many drove Mercs as well!

silverfoxcc

Flying Phil

That scenario never occurred to me!!!

Of course you are correct, but i would like to think the Merc drive did what i originally thought
A real WTF moment!!

plymothian

Do you reckon this'll fly?

The driver of that train should be charged for driving without due care and attention.

Do NOT drive a 40 tonne train backwards if you can't see were you are going!!

Poster under_score on Digital spy is very against trains going backwards.

So you think it's ok to drive a train backwards from the wrong end?

The driver can't see any of the track at all.

Oh maybe it's ok, maybe rules of common sense and safety don't apply because it's a train.

S/He goes on to defend his/her viewpoint quite vehemently.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2312254/unsurprisingly-the-train-emerged-the-victor/

markindurham

Bedpan

Established Member
Under_score's hilarious comments are well worth a read! I ended up wondering if s/he might have been the driver of the car. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.