• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level crossing gate oil lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
Alright gang.
At the EKR we have some old parafin lamps which used to be used for the level crossing gates.
I'm not sure what colours these lamps should be. I am pretty sure they should show a red aspect to road traffic, but i'm not sure if the lamp should be painted red or white. I've seen pictures of the lamps painted red, but these lamps are white.
So basically these are the combinations;
Red light, red lamp
Red light, white lamp
White light, red lamp
White light, white lamp
Any ideas which is the right combination?
I am asking because i would like to restore the lamps in my time away from the railway {homework}.
Thanks for any info, i'll let you know how the restoration goes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
From what I remember, the norm is a Red Lamp and White Light, or White Lamp and White Light, but I could be mistaken.

I'll go have a search for the answer, if I can find it I'll let you know.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I highly doubt it would have shown a Red aspect to the Trains, as a red aspect about waist height in the middle of the track generally is a Tail Lamp.

I there is a chance it could have shown a Red Aspect to Road Traffic, and a White Aspect to the Trains, though the Trains should in theory never see the crossing gates closed, because they'll be protected by signals.

Not found out anything concrete so far I'm afraid.

TheSlash

Established Member
Cheers guys. I was thinking of the aspect shown to road traffic which would i'd of thought was red, especially because of the red bullseye on the gate aswell.
As Jamie says, in most cases the gates should be shut then a caution or clear signal showed to the driver of the approaching train.
Cheers for ya help so far guys

TheSlash

Established Member
White lamp, red aspect. That was the Southern Style.
The GWR used red lamps with a red aspect.
The LNER had white lamps with a white aspect.
The LMS had a mixture up until about 1936, when they standardised on white lamp, red aspect.
But you're Southern, so white lamp, red aspect.
From a friend.

Tomnick

Established Member
Indeed, they should show a red light - when the gates are closed to road traffic, the red light instructs motorists to stop; when the gates are closed to rail traffic, the red light will provide an additional 'stop' signal. Some crossings were (and, in some cases, still are) only provided with a distant signal - the red bullseye and red light acting as the home signal.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I see where I got mixed up then, I was thinking of both LMS and LNER, really though, they should all be standardised to a White Lamp/Red Aspect with a Red Spot on the gates.

Status
Not open for further replies.