• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level Crossing speed restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek Kaye

Could anyone help me with this?
if you have a level crossing speed restriction board (i.e a white rectange with an 'X' at the top and the speed underneath) will this sign
a) have AWS associated with it
b) where does the restriction start? at the restriction board or at the crossing?
c) where does it end? is there a normal line speed sign after the crossing, e.g. 60 or does it go back to the previous speed when the whole train has passed the crossing or just the front?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

a) no
b) starts at the bored
c) its ends once the loco has crossed the crossing, it only goes slow so it can be seen by car drivers, but once the train has started crossing the crossing, its can speed up, as it is already clearly seen from the car driver

Met Driver

Established Member
kayedj said:
a) have AWS associated with it
b) where does the restriction start? at the restriction board or at the crossing?
c) where does it end? is there a normal line speed sign after the crossing, e.g. 60 or does it go back to the previous speed when the whole train has passed the crossing or just the front?

b) The restriction applies to the crossing itself, so it does indeed start at the crossing, not the sign.

c) Normal line speed can be resumed after the crossing. There is no sign to indicate this. In experience, the driver will usually apply power as soon as the front of the train passes the crossing, but I'm not sure if that's the correct procedure.

As for a), I'm not sure. I don't think there is on the Gunnislake and Newquay branches, but these could be exceptional cases.

Simming

b) The restriction applies to the crossing itself, so it does indeed start at the crossing, not the sign.

modern signalling handbook said:
the train driver is warned that he is approaching a locally-mointored crossing by a board bearing a black st georges cross on a white backgroud. he must then reduce his speed so that he can pass a speed restriction board at the appropiate speed

Met Driver

Established Member
Simming said:

modern signalling handbook said:
the train driver is warned that he is approaching a locally-mointored crossing by a board bearing a black st georges cross on a white backgroud. he must then reduce his speed so that he can pass a speed restriction board at the appropiate speed

I have another source which suggests otherwise (I hope). I'll try to dig it out.

Tomnick

Established Member
The restriction begins at the speed restriction board itself - so that the train is travelling at an appropriate speed to stop short of any obstruction on the crossing. The driver may open up as soon as the front of the train is on the crossing, I believe.

Met Driver

Established Member
Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
The X on the white rectangle board with the speed limit, is speed for crossing the LC when wrong line running

I've never heard that one before! What's your source?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I've heard that one before, I think it's just Magazines/Websites where most people get all their information, I'm the sort of person that loves to get Information ;)

Simming

That Applies to AHB-X which are AHB crossing that can still work automatically when trains are running wrong line. the Boards show something like : X30 for these.

Met Driver

Established Member
Simming said:
That Applies to AHB-X which are AHB crossing that can still work automatically when trains are running wrong line. the Boards show something like : X30 for these.

Cheers for that. It makes sense to me now!

Jamie C. Steel said:
I've heard that one before, I think it's just Magazines/Websites where most people get all their information, I'm the sort of person that loves to get Information ;)

Or from working on the railway

Derek Kaye

I saw a couple of X30 between Didcot and Banbury this afternoon on the wrong line. that makes sense. when its right direction its more like

X

or

X
--

i've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.