• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level Crossings - High Level Wigwags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Hi, has anyone on here aware of a level crossing with a high level wigwag placed above the usual level - i.e. a second unit synced to the lower unit - I've a site with visibility issues that could benefit from a high level "secondary" unit, but I can't find any examples or find anything that says it can be done.

Thanks, Haydn

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CAF397

You can definitely use supplementary wigwag uints for improved visbility. This is Kirknewton on the route into Edinburgh. In this example the crossing is on a T junction.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210511-101333_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210511-101333_Maps.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 255

The Planner

Veteran Member
Marsh Lane on the Princes Risborough Aylesbury line has supplementary ones too.

Tomnick

Established Member
Spondon:

90A9C5DE-3F5B-42F3-84B1-BA7EDD634162.jpeg

(presumably for better sighting over the hump-back bridge on the approach)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Marsh Lane on the Princes Risborough Aylesbury line has supplementary ones too.
Looking at that one on Streetview, I’d have thought with both roads on the east side effectively having a 90 degree turn onto the crossing they should probably have a fourth set of lights?

I think where there’s a tee junction near the crossing having a third set aimed perpendicular across the main road is fairly common. Another example of that at Brockenhurst, up side.

But I see we have an excellent example of twinned lights for height reasons now, and as they’re becoming quite common nowadays on the normal road traffic lights I suppose we’ll start seeing them on level crossings, there’s probably quite a few that would benefit.

ge-gn

There are many sites that have additional (auxiliary) wigwag boards for various reasons, most frequently because of a road junction near the the crossing itself.

Theoretically, of course another board can be added, but I suspect the onerous nature of getting the department of transport to change the level crossing order would be a first massive hurdle. If you do get a change to the order, then it is obviously a design change, as the additional board would require its own lamp proving circuitry cut into the existing And I suspect you couldn’t get that done under G1.10. So, it’s a full works testing job.

Not fag packet stuff.

Annetts key

Established Member
Yes, auxiliary wigwag ‘road lights’ are common where there is a road junction right next to the crossing.
In the photos is another example.

There are many sites that have additional (auxiliary) wigwag boards for various reasons, most frequently because of a road junction near the the crossing itself.

Theoretically, of course another board can be added, but I suspect the onerous nature of getting the department of transport to change the level crossing order would be a first massive hurdle. If you do get a change to the order, then it is obviously a design change, as the additional board would require its own lamp proving circuitry cut into the existing And I suspect you couldn’t get that done under G1.10. So, it’s a full works testing job.

Not fag packet stuff.

Often the bigger problem is that some designs of flasher unit are not rated for any extra wigwag ‘road lights’, or the way that the existing installation is wired is not suitable for adding any additional wigwag ‘road lights”. So that means changing the wiring (and hence the design) of the existing installation.

Also the auxiliary wigwag ‘road lights’ on the crossing in the photos I have attached are not lamp proved.

Forgive my stupidity but what is a wigwag
The board with the single amber light unit and two red light units (which flash alternatively), as shown in the photos.

Attachments

• 94A34750-797B-454B-B4A0-E7646A8A7B7B.jpeg
    94A34750-797B-454B-B4A0-E7646A8A7B7B.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 63770A45-865E-46D7-A48C-3DBB2082FE79.jpeg
    63770A45-865E-46D7-A48C-3DBB2082FE79.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 46
Status
Not open for further replies.