• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level Crossings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Can someone please tell me how to control LC's in SimSig - the ones that set the signal to red before them, and there are four select box things: Rse, Lwr, Aut, Clr: I know what they mean, I just don't know which you need tyo select to raise/lower gates and how long before the train comes - HELP :D :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Can someone please tell me how to control LC's in SimSig - the ones that set the signal to red before them, and there are four select box things: Rse, Lwr, Aut, Clr: I know what they mean, I just don't know which you need tyo select to raise/lower gates and how long before the train comes - HELP :D :D

Right, here we go:

1. Make sure no trains are coming, best way to ensure this is to not set a route across the level crossing and ensure the ARS if supplied is not selected.

Secondly, click LWR and the light beside it will flash which means the barriers are coming down.

You will then notice a light flashing beside CLR, you need to select this before the signal protecting the crossing will clear.

Now set the route across the level crossing.

Now you have two choices here, if you have AUT selected then it means the barriers will open automatically after the passage of a train BUT you can deselect it and raise them manually using the RSE button.

As to how long for a train to get there and pass the level crossing depends on the speed of the service, if it's got a clear route ie all greens and line speeds.

Hope that helps?

Tomnick

Established Member
Selecting 'LOWER' or 'LWR' will start the crossing sequence and lower the barriers; when the sequence has completed and the word 'CLEAR' appears, selecting 'CLEAR' or 'CLR' will prove the crossing clear in the interlocking and allow the protecting signal to clear (the route across the crossing can normally be set at any time, irrespective of the state of the barriers). That should all be done in good time to ensure that the Driver of the approaching train doesn't respond to a caution aspect in rear, so you usually will have needed to have cleared the signal before he reaches the YY! That's balanced against delays to the road user by lowering the barriers too early. Obviously that'll be modified where there's a station in rear of the crossing. Exactly when to start the sequence comes with experience, but in a four-aspect area (for example approaching Sawley LC on Trent), I find that pressing 'lower' when the train passes the second green signal in rear of the crossing works for me.

The 'AUT' button controls the auto-raise feature; if this is selected, the barriers will raise automatically once the train has passed, if no other routes are set over the crossing. If auto-raise isn't selected, or isn't provided, you'll need to raise the barriers yourself using the 'RAISE' or 'RSE' button.

GB

Established Member
Some crossings also have an Auto Lower feature where by as soon as you set the route over the crossing it automatically starts the lowering sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.