• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level, gapless platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I was quite surprised using Stratford International the other day quite how much of a step there was between platform and train- I've noticed the same at Ebbsfleet.

Now, I appreciate the reasons why "gapless" is tricky on much of the network- various different widths, heights and lengths of stock on often curved platforms with trains passing through at speed (requires more clearance). But the platform roads are used only for stopping services, and the domestic ones are only used by (and are only likely to be used by in the foreseeable future) one stock type, that was ordered specially for the service.

How difficult would it have been, really, to specify the trains and platforms to match each other? If done at the design phase, surely we could have had wheelchair roll-on roll-off access without ramps? Ashford, and the stations beyond, may still have required ramps, but even just having St Pancras, Statford and Ashford would have been a start. Step free access benefits everyone, not just wheelchair users.

I know they have the "many stock types", but I was surprised by the massive step up at the new platforms at Cambridge, too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
They've managed quite well at Heathrow with a similar set of circumstances.

MrJamesBrown

I would imagine that because the Class 395 have to fit into the UK loading gauge for services beyond HS1. Where as HS1 is built to a larger loading gauge hence the difference between the train and the platform

jopsuk

Veteran Member
but the HS1 domestic platforms are possibly NOT to a larger loading gauge- indeed, the "International" platforms at Stratford, which were to UIC standards, are currently sporting a wooden surface that extends up and out for a length long enough to take 12-car 395 formations (to be used during the Olympics)

MrJamesBrown

but the HS1 domestic platforms are possibly NOT to a larger loading gauge- indeed, the "International" platforms at Stratford, which were to UIC standards, are currently sporting a wooden surface that extends up and out for a length long enough to take 12-car 395 formations (to be used during the Olympics)

Ahhh I honestly wouldn't know then

asylumxl

Established Member
I'd imagine that there may be platform clearance issues on the classic sections of the usual routes which they operate, and as such required it to be designed in such a fashion.

Clip

Established Member
When they built Stratford International did they ever envisage that eurstars would stop there? If so then that would be the reason as they have a step that comes out of them.

Ive no idea why they would want a eurostar to stop there mind you but if that was their thoughts then it would explain it. Maybe.

MrJamesBrown

When they built Stratford International did they ever envisage that eurstars would stop there? If so then that would be the reason as they have a step that comes out of them.

Ive no idea why they would want a eurostar to stop there mind you but if that was their thoughts then it would explain it. Maybe.

Surely Eurostars would stop on the outer platforms as these lead to the other footbridge which has custom facilities ect??

tsr

Established Member

The Eurostar service was planned but it was decided not to stop there as the patronage would supposedly be too low, and it was thought less than ideal for Eurostar services to stop so soon after leaving London - or indeed so soon before arriving there. The strategy will be reconsidered after the Olympics, which would probably have been the very point at which an international service would be welcomed.

I have a strong feeling that visitors to London will find the names "Stratford International" and "Stratford [Regional]" very confusing indeed, but there we are! :roll:

The platforms were built to accommodate the Eurostar stock, and I seem to remember that the original designs for the Javelins were compatible, but these changed. Thus, to meet the minimum requirements, the wooden surface had to be added, which, in my opinion, is a bit of a messy fix to the whole affair.

I'm happy to accept corrections if any of the above is inaccurate. :)

Clip

Established Member
Surely Eurostars would stop on the outer platforms as these lead to the other footbridge which has custom facilities ect??

No idea,like i said but the post above this one and below yours makes sense also.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The "Domestic" platforms at Stratford Int don't have the wooden top and aren't long enough for Eurostars. Once the tremporary surface is removed from the "International" platforms, then all manner of stock could theoretically use it- at the moment, if the future Eurostar 320s or DB Velaro Ds tried to use the International platforms they'd hit them I would assume- and I'd suspect they do the same at the Domestic platforms, as it is mainly a step up more than out.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The strategy will be reconsidered after the Olympics, which would probably have been the very point at which an international service would be welcomed.

If an international service had already started it would have had to stop for the Olympics anyway, because the 'Olympic Javelin' service was always intended to use all four platforms as part of the Olympic travel plan.

When the mainstream media kicked off about the lack of such a service a while back, it was pointed out that it was impossible to have both.

AIUI that is the main reason why an international service never started, the rest was because the station was still isolated in a building site until quite recently.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Eurostars and GC gauge stock were never intended to stop in service at the domestic platforms, but they have to be gauge cleared through them in the event of a failure etc. Hence the gap.

And subsidence isn't an issue at Stratford, indeed the whole station box is technically floating as it is beneath the water table. It is kept at a very precise height by a complicated series of pumps.

Yew

Established Member
Eurostars and GC gauge stock were never intended to stop in service at the domestic platforms, but they have to be gauge cleared through them in the event of a failure etc. Hence the gap.

And subsidence isn't an issue at Stratford, indeed the whole station box is technically floating as it is beneath the water table. It is kept at a very precise height by a complicated series of pumps.

So thats what happened to sailrail :)

starrymarkb

Established Member
I suspect Stratford would come into more use if HS2 has a connection to HS1. So a service could use Stratford as the London stop, before continuing up HS2 bypassing St Pancras

JGR

I suspect Stratford would come into more use if HS2 has a connection to HS1. So a service could use Stratford as the London stop, before continuing up HS2 bypassing St Pancras

I was under the impression that Old Oak Common was designated for that exact purpose?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Are they ever going to finish the walls at Stratford International?

I presume they left them unfinished because they ran out of money? surely no architect in his / her right mind planned on leaving the rough piling edges visible everywhere???

Clip

Established Member
Are they ever going to finish the walls at Stratford International?

I presume they left them unfinished because they ran out of money? surely no architect in his / her right mind planned on leaving the rough piling edges visible everywhere???

you would hope so - It looks **** but they are not going to get it done by the time of the Olympics..

They could do with a clean in some areas too

Status
Not open for further replies.