• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leyland Nationals in Hampshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Established Member
For the last couple of months, Thompson's Tours have been operating the Saturdays only 238 Salisbury - Bournemouth via Ringwood and Christchurch service. Mainstay of the service has been Peoples Provincial liveried ex Hants and Dorset Leyland National WFX 257S

Next Saturday (17/10/09) sees the introduction of additional journeys which will initially use a second National until an ex Wilts and Dorset Olympian is available for service (probably the following Saturday).

238 times.JPG

The route is a good mix of almost unbridled thrash, mostly along the A338, between Salisbury and Ringwood and threading through Avon Valley villages with little tedious 'around the houses' stuff. An added bonus is that the Bournemouth - Southampton via Ringwood X5-X55 is now in the hands of a pair of ex Cardiff Lynxes, although the lime green 'Travel Guest' livery is a bit garish.

Some decent bashing to be had for any Leyland fans out there :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Just a quick update on this....

The 238 now operates Tuesdays and Saturdays, usually using two of the following vehicles;

Leyland Olympian A989 XAF, convertible - going open top soon?
Leyland National I WFX 257S
Leyland National II PIL 7013
National Greenway RDZ 4278

Timetable.....
238 times April 2010.jpg

Also, from April 19th, the Dorset Sprinter X55/X5 route is being cut back to Southampton - Ringwood; spotted working the route recently has been Volvo B6 L69 UNG plus the usual Leyland Lynx.

Not many days left to sample a Lynx over the whole Bournemouth - Southampton route, including a good thrash along the M27 and A31.

Revised timetable.....
X5 times April 2010.JPG

Ivo

Established Member
Ta for those Dennis, might have to change plans for Saturday! <D

Ditto that. Cornwall is just too far considering I won't be able to leave until 7am earliest (so much for the Sleeper) so I think Salisbury might be the answer. I was there in October - on the 24th, one week after the revision above and about 11 weeks before I joined this forum - and saw one; I couldn't believe my eyes! A National actually in public service! I only wish I had the time that day...

Last edited:

Dennis

Established Member
Be warned - there is a possibility that this Saturday will see an Excel on the 238 (for one week only!); Thompson's have acquired one for Ringwood locals and it could be getting a run out; still means some guaranteed Leyland bashing even if having to make do with an Olympian.

I'm planning on doing both routes, starting out at Salisbury 9.30 for the 238 to Bournemouth then onto the X5/X55 for a final bash to Southampton - one way at least is guaranteed Lynx (unless something very unusual happens). The B6 is surprisingly entertaining though....(not something I ever thought I'd say :lol:)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well, I was thinking about changing plans, but going out on a HoW Ranger for some HST bashing and that steam loco on its non-stop tour is more appealing I'm afraid! Gotta look after your number 1 interests after all!

Enjoy the bash Dennis, looking forward to seeing some phots!

Dennis

Established Member
Quick update; Thompson's are throwing in the towel on this service as it stands. Loadings have been generally too low for it to remain viable; the current service will continue until mid July (usually operated by the Olympian and one National).

Nice while it lasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.