• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leyland to Rotherham and Aston (via Manchester)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Right, this one is really complex and I'm struggling to get my head around it.

On Saturday 5th November, me and my friends (all aged under 16) will be going to two separate places, 3 of us to Rotherham, and 1 plus me to Aston. I own a Family and Friends railcard so would be on an adult ticket to gain the discount.

Obviously, the usual routes for this would mean we would never share the same route, so we plan to go via Manchester Piccadilly, where we would go our separate ways. The same applies on the return, we would go up to Piccadilly then go together back to Leyland.

As I own the railcard we require the following (barring any splits that reduce the cost):
1 adult, 4 children from Leyland to Manchester (Vic or Picc), discounted
1 adult, 1 child from Piccadilly to Aston, discounted
3 children from Piccadilly to Rotherham Central, undiscounted

If the cost of this is significantly higher than one set of us going LEY-WGN-BHM(or LTV)-AST and the other going LEY-PRE-LDS-RMC or LEY-MCV-MAN-SHF-RMC then we will abandon this plan.

I greatly appreciate any help with this as I know it is probably the most complex question ever asked here! :lol::oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Are you happy using Loopholes? (And/or advances)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

roversfan2001

Established Member
Yes on every section re: Advances. As my 3 friends going to Rotherham aren't enthusiasts, they'd probably not understand loopholes unless they're obviously valid, happy to use loopholes on the LEY-MAN-AST journey though. :)

lightning76

I can't comment on loopholes or advances but I would like to say this:

Are you sure you want to be responsible for organising something that requires 4 other young people to arrive back at the same place at the same time? What happens if you and friend 1, or friends 2 3 and 4, have your journeys disrupted for any reason? If friends 2-4 have tickets for a specific route, or splits or whatever, will they understand what to do if there is a problem, or will they panic?

The last thing you want is your friends calling their folks from Manchester to get picked up, because the person who's got the railcard is stuck due to a dewirement at Stafford and they've spent all their money in McDonalds, or worse, getting into some difficulty of their own, ending up with railway staff calling the cops to take them home to their mummies and daddies for their own safety.

I don't mean to be patronising, I've had experience of trying to herd grown adults around the place and that's a nightmare in itself. Once you start organising things for people they look to you to take responsibility, come what may. I would stick to finding some good value tickets for yourself and your friend who's going to Aston, and if your friends going to Rotherham want to save some money, point them in the direction of this and other relevant websites and let them work it out for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.