• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lib Dem Manifesto - Reopenings....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
If he wishes to remain an MP then it is a very safe bet that he will remain an MP for Sheffield Hallam, or whichever constituency supercedes it.

If he wishes to do something else (he can speak 5 languages) then I am sure plenty of people would snap him up.

No, I said he'd be at the Job centre with my tongue in my cheek. He just won't be Deputy PM nor leader of the Lib Dems.

I am sure like many other ex-politicians, he will make his money in business. And if not, I am sure he and his familay aren't on the breadline anyway!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

exile

Established Member
Well, the mainfesto is freely available online here http://www.libdems.org.uk/siteFiles/resources/docs/policy/Community/Transport.pdf#search="railways"

so why not look it up?

The only "re-opening" mentioned is Oxford-Bedford. Quite restrained really!

Waverley125

TBF there are some very strategically useful lines that could be reopened, as well as ones that would turn a profit were they to be re-opened. Just off the top of my head...

Matlock-Buxton (i.e. Derby-Manchester)
Cross Gates-Folifoot via Wetherby (i.e. Leeds-Wetherby-Harrogate)
Harrogate-Northallerton via Ripon
Low Moor-Thornhill Lees (Bradford-Sheffield/Wakefield)
Knottingley-Doncaster (Leeds-Doncaster via Five Towns)
Bowling Curve (Leeds-Halifax avoiding Bradford Interchange)
Leeds-Mirfield via Birstall & Heckmondwike (second Leeds-Huddersfield line)
York-Hull via Beverley
Selby-Bridlington (Leeds-Bridlington direct)
Darnall-Hadfield (Sheffield-Manchester)
Battersby-Picton

AndyHudds

TBF there are some very strategically useful lines that could be reopened, as well as ones that would turn a profit were they to be re-opened. Just off the top of my head...

Matlock-Buxton (i.e. Derby-Manchester)
Cross Gates-Folifoot via Wetherby (i.e. Leeds-Wetherby-Harrogate)
Harrogate-Northallerton via Ripon
Low Moor-Thornhill Lees (Bradford-Sheffield/Wakefield)
Knottingley-Doncaster (Leeds-Doncaster via Five Towns)
Bowling Curve (Leeds-Halifax avoiding Bradford Interchange)
Leeds-Mirfield via Birstall & Heckmondwike (second Leeds-Huddersfield line)
York-Hull via Beverley
Selby-Bridlington (Leeds-Bridlington direct)
Darnall-Hadfield (Sheffield-Manchester)
Battersby-Picton

There has been some development over some of the old trackbed in particular at the old Heckmondwike Spen station where houses have been built. Plus some of the viaduct at Mirfield over Leeds Road has been removed also.

There has also been a lot of infilling of cuttings and tunnels. So it would be very costly to bring back into use,should never have been closed in the first place, what gaff!!

The Low Moor to Thornhill line could be easily restored the trackbed is intact and undeveloped. Not really sure why Metro aren't pursuing a reopening campaign. There are 2 towns, Heckmondwike and Cleckheaton, with largish populations but they're cut out of the rail network.As you point out it could connect Bradford with the East Midlands and Sheffield also give a service into Huddersfield from Cleckheaton and Heckmondwike, which is where a lot of the two towns buses start and finish. This could tie in with a redevelopment of Ravensthorpe Station by building some Wakefield bound platforms with a new alignment for the Thornhill line to come in on the Wakefield line in the Huddersfield direction.

My main beef with Metro is they're not ambitious enough with West Yorkshire's railways, a lot more work needs and could be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.