• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lickey incline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watford West

Hi all - I've just read an article about the banking locos used on the lickey incline in the days of steam. I was wondering with the increased power of modern day traction, do they still use banking locos for trains today?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi all - I've just read an article about the banking locos used on the lickey incline in the days of steam. I was wondering with the increased power of modern day traction, do they still use banking locos for trains today?
Thanks
No been passed recently but you def used to see Class 37s at the bottom on standby for banking duties until relatively recently IIRC. This 1970s pic gives you the gist.

I think probably since the multiple unit era they would be used for freight banking if needed

Not sure what the arrangement is today

Darandio

Established Member
Still happens I believe, or certainly did until very recently. I'm sure DB would send over 66's from Saltley when needed?

In fact, I think the accident with the Class 170 last year was the result of it hitting a Class 66 which had been there on banking duties?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Still happens I believe, or certainly did until very recently. I'm sure DB would send over 66's from Saltley when needed?

In fact, I think the accident with the Class 170 last year was the result of it hitting a Class 66 which had been there on banking duties?
Yes it was, it was just arriving prior to it’s next banking duty.

Spartacus

Established Member
Yes, the banker's still needed, and in the odd other place on occasion, usually only during diversions though. I think 66055's the one on duty now.

Dave W

Yes, the banker's still needed, and in the odd other place on occasion, usually only during diversions though. I think 66055's the one on duty now.
When the Lickey is closed is the banker still sent to Stourbridge Jn in case something needs a shove up Old Hill bank? I seem to recall there were paths for that to happen in the not too distant past. (I don't know what the procedure for that was but assume trains were stopped at the loops at Rowley Regis)

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Yes, bankers are still employed. Check this video out when a single 37 turned up to act as banker vice the booked 2 (a 60 was on the front)
This is one of those videos when you need the volume turning up to 11!

Watford West

yes excellent video! It's a long old grind up that hill. the noise of the 37 impacted on the in cab conversation a bit!!

xotGD

Established Member
Yes, bankers are still employed. Check this video out when a single 37 turned up to act as banker vice the booked 2 (a 60 was on the front)
This is one of those videos when you need the volume turning up to 11!

I just knew that someone would post that video. Dreadful!

Banker is still used overnight when the Lickey is closed though Stourbridge to Rowley. Not sure when it was last done though.

Speed43125

Surely it would be sensible for an electric loco to be used as the banker given it is electrified now?

Surely it would be sensible for an electric loco to be used as the banker given it is electrified now?
The freights are routed up the Camphill line to avoid New Street / direct route to North East.

If the Banker does not uncouple on the move the instruction is for the banker to stay on until Saltley where it can be uncoupled the traditional way. Loose banking is not allowed these days.

There is no where to safely (graffiti free) to stable a loco at Bromsgrove. And would take up a path through New St to get to and from banking duties which are sporadic through the day.

Would the OHLE feeders cope with an electric, say a 92 pushing.

ac6000cw

Established Member
This must be an old video. There are no overhead electrification masts.
It's from 2003 (it's the old station at Bromsgrove too).

When the Lickey is closed is the banker still sent to Stourbridge Jn in case something needs a shove up Old Hill bank? I seem to recall there were paths for that to happen in the not too distant past. (I don't know what the procedure for that was but assume trains were stopped at the loops at Rowley Regis)
Many years ago (1970s) I used to live not far away from Rowley Regis station. Back then (when the off-peak passenger service was 1 tph!) freights with a banker most often just stopped on the mainline, banker uncoupled then the freight continued on its way. If there was a path back to Stourbridge the banker would then run back through the crossover and be on its way. Otherwise the freight and/or banker would go into the loop to wait. In those days there was usually a banker stationed at Stourbridge Junction (most often a Peak or 47), which banked freights up to both Dudley and Rowley Regis as required.

Of course if you want a bit of super-power (diesel) banking 'thrash', then how about a 4 x 3000hp 'pusher' set (the proper EMD 'music' is from 1:27 onwards ;)):

(That's equivalent of four cl.59's - ballasted up to 167 tonnes each - on the back. They slip a little bit as they go past, just tell you they're giving it everything they've got... It's my video, and the people standing around watching were a group of enthusiasts from the UK who just happened to arrive a while after I did. The locos will stay on the rear past the summit at Gallitzin and down the other side, around the famous Horseshoe Curve, into Altoona to provide downhill dynamic braking assistance).

Last edited:

01d-and

Although RTT still shows a morning path for a light engine move from Saltley to Bromsgrove , the banker is now dispatched from Bescot. Daytime banking is relatively rare but a Fridays only loaded china clay working is timed at around 06.30. I might even set my alarm for it tomorrow . . . . . :D :s

Status
Not open for further replies.