• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lifts & escalators

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic

Established Member
Does anyone know how much electricity an escalator will consume per hour - I presume it will vary by use and length of escalator so some sort of average is fine. How does this compare with the amount of electricity required to move a lift over the same height difference?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DownSouth

Established Member
I don't know the figures, but I do know that you need to consider a set of escalators always requires lift/s or some kind of stair-mounted moving platform to retain a minimum level of accessibility. You're really comparing escalator + lift +stairs (for emergency access and a quicker route for fit people!) against stairs + lift.

If you go for the stairs + lift option and find the lift is packed so full people wait for the next one more than a couple of times a day then you need escalators, or to make the route to/from the lift less convenient.

A lift is far more efficient power wise! (Also only operates when needed, big savings during quiet periods)
But as DownSouth says it is a stop go operation. An escalator delivers a smooth continuous flow of people, and handles large volumes extremely well.

davelew99

Surely escalators could be fitted with sensors so that as someone approaches, it turns on and it is timed to run for just longer than it takes to travel a full length.

You would also err on the side of caution and make sure it is enabled earlier than required and disabled much later.

I suppose all the extra on-off would cause wear on the components/motors faster than continuous running so it depends if the off time saves significant money.

noblergt

Surely escalators could be fitted with sensors so that as someone approaches, it turns on and it is timed to run for just longer than it takes to travel a full length.

You would also err on the side of caution and make sure it is enabled earlier than required and disabled much later.

I suppose all the extra on-off would cause wear on the components/motors faster than continuous running so it depends if the off time saves significant money.

They already exist, the escalators in The Highcross shopping centre in Leicester turn off when not used, automatically.

Crossover

Established Member

In the UK it seems less common place but having been to Germany on a couple of occasions, it seems the norm there that escalators stop completely when not in use.

What is becoming common in this country, however, is them slowing down when out of use (I guess it means they don't look broken as stopped ones often can) - the "new" (they have been there for about 4 years or so now) ones at Birmingham International do this. I think the have sensors at both ends (naturally, they are reversible) so getting off the top seems to reset the timer, in the same way going to the wrong end of an escaltor will also start it moving at normal pace.

From what I know though, escalators when out of use should be fairly efficient as it should be a harmonic (is this the right word?) system - in other words, the weight is in balance and thus when there is no-one on it, the overall weight is zero and therefore it takes very little energy to keep it moving

deltic

Established Member
Brussels metro had escalators that switched off when not in use. Been a while since I was on it so dont know if it still does.

I was just interested in the power consumption of a lift versus an escalator - I can readily work out the number of lifts needed to carry a given number of people and how that compares with an escalator.

Thanks Cliveblackpool for the link - very interesting

bnm

Established Member
I don't know the figures, but I do know that you need to consider a set of escalators always requires lift/s or some kind of stair-mounted moving platform to retain a minimum level of accessibility

Not always. There are many places, London Underground being the prime example, where there is ONLY escalator provision.

Welshman

Established Member
Slightly off-topic, but I was interested to read that the Liverpool Overhead Railway was the first railway to feature a "moving staircase" or escalator. It was at Seaforth Sands station, and proudly unveiled in 1901. However, it was short-lived and had to be removed five years later because ladies were constantly snagging their long skirts in the contraption.

Apparently, today's escalators have a "sari-guard"

John55

A quick check of the Kone website suggests escalators are likely to use between 2500kWhrs/yr and 10000kWhr/yr depending on length, type of use and what if any power saving features are used. I will leave it as an exercise to work out the hourly figure as my lecturers used to say.

The LOR escalator was taken out of use when Seaforth Sands station was rebuilt in connection with the through running to the L&YR. It was not a modern type of escalator as it was the "Reno" type which I think was a belt moving at a low angle rather than a set of moving steps that we are familiar with today.

Another interesting point from Kone's website is on long down escalators they use regenerative braking to control the speed so presumably if loadings are equal on up and down directions power use could be very small!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.