• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Like" Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
Question: Why does the forum not have a "like" button?
Would show my support for particular posts. Seen it in lots of other forums, works quite well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think when this has been raised in the past the reason given was the the Admins/Mods felt that it might discourage people from contributing to a thread if they were able to simply hit a 'like' button.

Darandio

Established Member
You also have the issue that if "Like" is implemented, and equal amount of people will request a "Dislike" button which then becomes open to abuse.

SS4

Established Member
It was last done at the beginning (literally) of 2012: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57774

From this post
theblackwatch said:
From past experience too many people use it just to 'like' their friends comments. We don't need a backslapping button here and it is much better if people actually reply or respond to posts than merely liking them - as Lampshade points out it can result in people not actually contributing properly.

My personal opinion hasn't changed, I still feel it has it's uses where someone wants to agree with a previous post but doesn't have enough content to make a meaningful post of their own. That said there is very little "+1" style posting so the current policy is working

jon0844

Veteran Member
I don't think the addition of a like button (which for a forum isn't really needed in my opinion) would mean people demanding a dislike button.

Facebook would never add a facility, as it would seriously affect their ability to appeal to advertisers - as well as causing all sorts of problems with users.

Like is positive, dislike is negative.. so I can't see anyone wanting it. If someone is genuinely unhappy with a post, I'd hope they'd say so and give a reason (or report it if it was suitably inappropriate).

andrew bell

I agree that if there is a like button then a majority of people won't reply to the posts, they will just 'like' it instead. A forum is completly different to social media outlets like facebook, a forum is there to discuss various aspects of things, whether the debate is a healthy one that's upto the people who reply to decide.

LE Greys

Established Member
I agree that if there is a like button then a majority of people won't reply to the posts, they will just 'like' it instead. A forum is completly different to social media outlets like facebook, a forum is there to discuss various aspects of things, whether the debate is a healthy one that's upto the people who reply to decide.

I quite agree. TBH, I'd prefer not to have one, because as well as the possibility of stifling the debate, there is the risk of a subconscious contest to get the most 'likes' for a post. I would not want to participate in something like that.

table38

Established Member
like.jpg

telstarbox

Established Member
IMO it wouldn't be useful and would reduce the quality of posts. If you agree with a post then say so (and ideally add something further to the debate); if you disagree, the same applies but possibly more so.

Harbon 1

i suppose this is sort of the idea from above, but if they want to like or dislike a post, then they will be directed to a reply screen, and they wont have their 'like' show up until they reply?

Status
Not open for further replies.