• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lime St - Poole

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtradj

does anyone remember this service?

if so do you know what the calling points were? thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
does anyone remember this service?

if so do you know what the calling points were? thanks

After or before the railways returned to Private ownership?

I recall two evening trains,one was from Manchester & perhaps one was from Lime St via Crewe Birmingham & Reading to Poole,loco haul of course in late BRs days

I used them to reading, If I recall one left Crewe around 6.0p.m. or so & there was always a wait of 20 minutes at New Street.

Last edited:

Schnellzug

Established Member
As it happens, i have an old Virgin window sticker from the latter days, round about '02. Then, it was Runcorn, Hartford, Crewe, Wolverhampton, Birmingham New Street, Birm Int, Coventry, Leamington, banbury, Oxonford, reading, Basingstoke, Winchester, Soton Apt Pkwy, Soton Central, Brockenhurst & Bmth.

Last edited by a moderator:

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
As it happens, i have an old Virgin window sticker from the latter days, round about '02. Then, it was Runcorn, Hartford, Crewe, Wolverhampton, BNS, Birm Int, Coventry, Leamington, banbury, Oxonford, reading, Basingstoke, Winchester, Soton Apt Pkwy, Soton Central, Brockenhurst & Bmth.

Thinking about it, in BR days, that was the route from Lime St

The Manchester versions, had several to Poole in a day, some Via Macclesfield & Stoke and the one I caught at Crewe, was via Wilmslow.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
As it happens, i have an old Virgin window sticker from the latter days, round about '02. Then, it was Runcorn, Hartford, Crewe, Wolverhampton, BNS, Birm Int, Coventry, Leamington, banbury, Oxonford, reading, Basingstoke, Winchester, Soton Apt Pkwy, Soton Central, Brockenhurst & Bmth.

Wow, it stopped at Barnes (BNS) ? That's an interesting diversion :lol: I'm sure you meant Birmingham New Street (BHM) :p

D1009

Established Member

Didn't they also call at Branksome and Parkstone ?

Eagle

Established Member
Didn't they also call at Branksome and Parkstone ?

Don't think VXC ever called there.

However, pre-Operation Princess, there were frequent calls at Slough, Hartford, Didcot, Solihull and Carstairs as well as at least a couple of services calling at Cross Gates (this is in addition to all the routes they stopped serving, namely Poole, Portsmouth, London, Swindon, Swansea, Liverpool and Blackpool).

I'm sure if you go back as far as the 70s and 80s there were services such as Lime Street to Poole using class 45s at the northern end at least. I think Reading was the main change over point for locomotives from the north.

Last edited:

Parham Wood

I used to work in an office overlooking Reading in the early - mid 70s. I do not recall many 45s on passenger trains. I think most were 47 hauled to Reading then possibly a 33 or perhaps a 47?? Locos changed at New Street of course elec to diesel. Several trains bypassed Reading so the 47 went all the way to Poole. In fact I do not remember many 45s on the Oxford - Brum line on passenger or freight but I could be wrong. I remember catching the last Brum to Reading train a few times and it was often hauled by a 52 and probably only 6 coaches. Acceleration was rather rapid.

Schnellzug

Established Member
During the InterCityCrossCountry/Virgin era, they usually ran locos through from at least Poole/Bmth to Brum, running round at Reading*, though I don't know if they used electrics north of Brum. By then, of course, they were mostly HSTs anyway.

* One working, Manchester-Bournemouth I think it was, which remained loco hauled when most were HSTs had top & tail 47s.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I remember in the days of InterCity CrossCountry of doing a Liverpool to Poole train and was diverted via Huyton, Manchester Piccadilly, Macclesfield & Stafford to Brum. Train actually picked up @ Huyton following a points failure. Was this a first for a CrossCountry service?

Also, 47/8 blew up near Stone & got rescued by a pair of Choppers to Stafford for another 47/4 forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whistler40145

Established Member
It was a Sunday.

As I remember, it was the middle of Summer, Air Con packed up, so you can imagine how hot the journey was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Taylor

Established Member
In 1996/1997 it was Lime Street, Runcorn, Crewe, Stafford, Wolverhampton, New St, International, Leamington, Banbury, Oxford, Didcot, Reading, Basingstoke, Winchester, Southampton Airport, Southampton Ctl, Brockenhurst, Bournemouth, Poole. I used to work it from Bournemouth (0652) to Liverpool and back (including over 2 hours in Edge Hill depot). The return working was at 1510 from Lime Street, the same 47/8 worked the train throughout in both directions with 86216 usually doing the ECS in and out of Edge Hill.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I think it was along the lines of: bournemouth brockenhurst soton central soton airport winchester basingstoke reading oxfod banbury leamington solihull birmingham new st wolves stafford crewe runcorn.

xtradj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYtPuN6MtYI

2m 19secs.. any idea where that service will have come from? as central did norwich and tp scarborough in 2000, and never knew intercity went via warrington central anywhere?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Dunno, I know IC did run through Huyton on their Liverpool to Glasgow services; there may have been a call there at other times in its history.

i remember that service first stop was st helens, and it was once a day leaving around 5.20ish?

was it a 158?

Eagle

Established Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYtPuN6MtYI
2m 19secs.. any idea where that service will have come from? as central did norwich and tp scarborough in 2000, and never knew intercity went via warrington central anywhere?

Bear in mind that Allerton was what is now platforms 1 to 4 of Liverpool South Parkway. That service hasn't been anywhere near Warrington, it's come from the Runcorn direction.

Being as it's an electric service, it's almost certainly come from London Euston.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I can't see the video, but can I add that there was an XC 158 from Liverpool to Portsmouth at that time.

ushawk

Established Member
Bear in mind that Allerton was what is now platforms 1 to 4 of Liverpool South Parkway. That service hasn't been anywhere near Warrington, it's come from the Runcorn direction.

Being as it's an electric service, it's almost certainly come from London Euston.

Looks like its come ECS from Allerton to me, came off the line from Hunts Cross so it cant be from London

bengolding

I'm sure I recall a Liverpool-Bournemouth service that left New St around 10:06 which avoided Reading. This followed the 10:03 which did call at Reading via Coventry and went to either Brighton or London Piaddington. Have I got that right?

D1009

Established Member
I'm sure I recall a Liverpool-Bournemouth service that left New St around 10:06 which avoided Reading. This followed the 10:03 which did call at Reading via Coventry and went to either Brighton or London Piaddington. Have I got that right?

Yes, there were certainly trains on summer Saturdays that used Reading West curve, from memory first stop Oxford from Brum then Basingstoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.