• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lincoln 47s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascot

Established Member
Suprised anyone hasn't posted about this, apart from images.

Ok so this is my story of it and split into 3 parts.
Part 1 - The Overnight - Was supposed to be with Shauna but she didn't have her pass.

Part 2 - The 47s

Part 3 - The After

Part 1

Arrived into New Street at about half 8 with 2hrs to spare so decided to go around the town a bit. Looked about the ICC and NIA areas then walked back to the station and got the 22:03 VT to Derby. This ended up very quiet all the way up to Derby. As i arrived into Derby i got off and had a little walk before getting the 23:15 from Derby back to Burton. Waited about 20 or so mins for the 23:44 back to Derby, reason of this was because i am not freezing me self all that time at Derby when i can do a lil trip back and forth.

So finally back to Derby at 23:59 where i waited for the 00:36 to Sheffield and that was about 10-15 mins early so it was nice to defrost. After departure i got meself a window to keep myself awake at stupid o clock, passing through the countryside was very nice. Arrived into Sheffield at 01:15 where i had just under for my train to Manchester Airport.

Got onto my 185 and had a lil chat with the cleaner as you do to pass the time away. Finally we left and the guard was friendly enough to let me sleep for the journey and the return so i didn't have to show my ticket again. Got into Manchester Airport about 10 mins early after nearly being launched through the window enough times with the brakes and acceleration.

Couldn't be bothered looking round the airport but was trying 2 keep awake so i didn't miss my stop, fell asleep then shot up like a brick looking where i was, seen Sheffield and dipped off the train just as it was about to leave. Not knowing that i could of stayed on the train to Doncaster and back and still made the HST.

Anyhow i got up the stairs but becasue it was cold and i was asleep i was shivering like heck, had to spend 10 mins relaxing then waited for my HST freezing. 06:16 finally departed where i met David and we had a lovely chat about a few posts and people then did a little bit of Heads Out.

Got into Leicester at 07:23 ish then me and David went to get a Mc Sh!t and waited for Alex S after seeing his texts about his glorious attempts on racing through West Midlands.

Part 2

After meeting with Alex S we seein the Steam Special go and got onto the 47s where we met Galvanize, RJ and Jamster and set off to Lincoln. Not much really happened but a few jokes and laughs with windows and grumpy gits wantin our windows.

Finally Lincoln late, got off walked up the steps, met up with Matt, said hello (true Brummie lads) and got down onto the platform waiting for Jordy, AJP and co.. <need to correct that>

On we got with naff seats all spread out so me and Jammy decided to go right at the very back as on the return to Nottingham we have the front, yes common sence kicked in today after the lack of sleep. So we get into Nottingham with Tom 1 ringing me trying to save money, but we all know you let me pick up the last time ;), and just missing us by a few mins. We get back into Lincoln where we did phots of the specials and so on so forth, said tra to Matt and went to get chippy what was on a skanky tray. Said bye to everyone for now and me and David got a 156/158 (what Tom JUST got off) back to Nottingham.

Part 3

We arrived into Nottingham and had a look at the Tram times see if we could do a lil trip but we got an earlier train to Derby, we spent that time looking at a Rasberry map seeing who had been where.

Got into Derby and walked around the town centre having a laugh with tales of the forum. Got one of those leaflets on the Derwent Valley line saying what you see out of the Window and set off on the 16:22 up to Matlock. Only us on the thing as we tried to spot everything on the map outside. As we got to about Whatstandwell it was black as the ace of spades to we though s0d that and got into Matlock.

At Matlock we decided to change ends but was too busy so walked back to our seats, busy is defined as more than 1 person in the coach. As we set off we phoned Tom up seeing if he wanted to race us to Loughborough and he agreed with a £10 bet on it. So we decided to walk right to the front of the train but realised Stinky didn't want to confront the people next to the bog again. We still walked up but we couldn't find them so we walked all the way.

Off at Derby where we dipped up the platforms to platform 1 where our train was late for a reason we find out later, yayy we made it with about 40 mins to spare before Tom could even get to Loughborough. Found out some pillac cut the wire to the signal points and we was stuck in Derby for 20 mins. As it was a one in one out system (as they said), we left seeing the nice tail backs waiting including a the train Alex was on.

Raced into Loughborough and we seen Jammy and his bird so we had a chat with them waiting for our Tommy <Class 313> to arrive into Loughborough, after all the delays i couldn't wait any more and got one back to Leicester waiting for my train. Into Leicester and waited for the 19:0X back to Brum where Tom again 1 ringed me but i was kind enough to ring back once. He was on platform 3 demanding his £2 back, however he didn't realise "he made a bet" and tried every excuse in the book to get out of it ;). My 170 came late and then i got on it but we could only use the 1st 2 coaches as it was dodgy doors on the rear.

Got into Birmingham about 20 mins past 8 walked up the steps and got a lift home.

The end of a great full day trip and turns out Joy54 was supposed to of got the 07:24 off New Street to Leicester and then go back from lincoln to the Rhymney line but over slept and ended up doing Rhymney only.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexS

Established Member
Oh yes, used my luck for the month on that one, since we have a thread here...

Check National Rail for the progress of the 0516 Chester to New St, on time at Wrexham. Great thinks I. Bus into Wolves station, check the board: 0659 Arriva Trains Wales, Birmingham New St only: cancelled. Prats must have caped it at Chester. By that point I thought I was cream cracked, so sloped on to the 0705 Euston, which was due to arrive at 0724, same time as the Stansted leaves New St. Spirited running up to New St had me arrive at 0723 and 40 seconds, thought 'Bugger, I'm canned'. But no! I'm on platform 2, and the road is set for my 390, not due to leave for 10 mins! Look on 3, and there's 170397, sitting there thanks to a bobby placing a wrong route. Score says I, leap through the doors and off it goes.

Uneventful to Leicester, say hi to the guys, their 47s arrive, my HST is late. My HST finally turns up, so off I go with possibly the most spirited start I've seen from an MML HST, with the recently reinstated 43046 at the helm. Arrive at Loughborough, see the deliquents hammer through, and onwards.

Fast forward to 1730, 1734 to Derby late, grinds to a halt outside Derby with signal problems. Arrive into Derby at 1815 having talked to David Perks on the phone. 1824 Voyager for Banbury via New St turns up and leaves at 1845, and then completes the journey to Brum via Leicester in just 70 mins, what a run. And then back home for me on the Shrewsbury local.

Ironically Mark passed me on a train while I was sat outside Derby on a 222 while he headed to Leicester, I then passed him while he was stood at Leicester waiting for a train that was running quite a bit down!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Twas a good day!
My MML HST was 8 minutes late by St Albans due to low adhesion (had a pair of valentas on, 046 and 085 <D so there was mucho screamo as the driver tried to find grip.

Was funny cos when the front PC found grip, the rear PC dragged it out of grip cos it didnt have any, and vice versa for about 20 minutes! Though in the mean time I paced 60009 Union of South Africa, the kettle just managing to get ahead of my HST when my driver found grip and booted it <D

Got to Wigston South Jcn and found out from TicketMan that I'd made up 4 minutes so had to be ready to bail off the HST for the duffs, which I did and ran across the platform 8).

The run up to Nottingham was good, especially when we went through a tunnel and I shouted WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE :D. I bought 2 returns to lincoln over the course of the trips as well, didn't want a rover as I only done 2 trips up to Lincoln then I buggered off back to Nottingham to meet my friends Sarah and Tiz.

Shouting "duffs are crap" at every available opportunity was fun too :lol: :lol:

Didn't do anymore loco trips after the last morning run to Lincoln as I got a 156 back to Nottingham for food and xmas shoppin (of which I didn't do much cos I couldn't find anything I needed!).

Twas great to meet Mr Philip Elliot (off WNXX) at Nottingham as well! Got a couple pics of the northern tunnel at Victoria on my phone, but by the time we got to the GCR viaduct remains (after shopping) there was sod all light left :(.

Big up to the guys for attending, and also big up to Midland Mainline for supplying a nice brunette guard from St Pancras to Leicester and a nice blonde guard from Loughborough to London on the way back for me to oogle :razz:.

Also big up to faredodger54 for not showing his face :lol: :lol: :lol:

AlexS

Established Member
Did you get sent into a random siding to reverse like we did? :lol:

Just shuffled forward one signal section at a time!

My Voyager however was held in the platforms for 10 minutes after a 10 minute late arrival. After that stormed straight through and didn't stop again till Proof House Jn, about 65 mins later! Not bad going at all.

There was an awful lot of bellowing from the front window spoon goons as the train departed Nottingham on the 17:00 trip to Leicester, as well as every time the train went over the High Street in Lincoln :lol:
(Although I must admit I flailed quite a bit;) )

Ascot

Established Member
I think more people should do these over night thingys, there so much fun, especially with other people.:blob4:

Jim

Established Member
I think more people should do these over night thingys, there so much fun, especially with other people.:blob4:
Agree there, a night with Sproggy & 960012 wasn't bad back in May!

class 313

Established Member
LMAO That was funny, and people call me a EMU basher eh David ;) I was flailing at Nottingham, first passenger window me :D

Ascot

Established Member
I think Ascot is on about an overnight TPX bash ;) :lol:

Either that or freeze me b0ll0x off at Sheffield for god knows how long.

But yeah i was reffering to travelling through the night :razz: :toothy8:

^oh and no comments like "what bollox" :roll:

David

Established Member
I was flailing at Nottingham, first passenger window me :D

We could hear you while you was still a mile away from Loughborough.....

Seriously though, looking on other forums, some members there have been complaining about the antics from the bashers in the front carriage. 1 of these forums isn't rail-related, so you must have been creating a few problems....

Ascot

Established Member
We could hear you while you was still a mile away from Loughborough.....

Seriously though, looking on other forums, some members there have been complaining about the antics from the bashers in the front carriage. 1 of these forums isn't rail-related, so you must have been creating a few problems....

We heard them in Matlock ;) Awel we made a tenner from it

class 313

Established Member
We? All i was doing is Heads out with shouting my lords when 825 powerd up. but people behind us where howling and screaming for some reason.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That'll be the spoon goons, 40/50-odd year olds who act like 2 year olds throwing a tantrum. They nick things, throw things, shout abuse.

And anyone under the age of 40 who has less than 1,000,000 miles behind 47s and hasn't been to Penzance and Wick behind a 47 who dares enter the front coach won't exactly get a warm welcome. SRPS have had a lot of problems with them that were well-documented last Summer.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Wow Yorkie, you described them perfectly!

I don't think you have much cause for complaining about people's behaviour when, to quote from your other postings on this thread:

"I acted like a spoon goon"
"I was flailing at Nottingham"
"All i was doing is Heads out with shouting my lords"

Established Member
SRPS have had a lot of problems with them that were well-documented last Summer.

Think that riot erupted when they came under abuse from photographers? Don't see how they have a point if they drive all over the country and don't contribute to the running of the tour myself. Also consider that bloody desperate for EH Duff!

Thought a fair few of the 47 crowd were a bit younger 40, at least those on VXC. That said you must remember there are at least a few perfectly soicable 47 bashers, some of whom probably have mileages to embarass this lot.
All this excitment over a twank!!! They can keep there duffs, you'll see me on far better (IMO) power!

No problems with a bit of heads out from me, bit of comedy value in people going OTT.

A final question, was the stock coffins or early MkIIs?

Coxster

Established Member
I fail to see why people have to shout anyway, particuarly when it is a passenger train and the majority of the passengers do not share your 'passion' for trains. Quite rightly so they should be bloody ****ed off.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
All this excitment over a twank!!! They can keep there duffs, you'll see me on far better (IMO) power!

And me, I only done the lincolns for a laugh and the track :).

Got me a pair of 50s on saturday 87015 if you want a shot we're going via Bescot from Birmingham New St then up the WCML to Carnforth.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And me, I only done the lincolns for a laugh and the track :).

Got me a pair of 50s on saturday 87015 if you want a shot we're going via Bescot from Birmingham New St then up the WCML to Carnforth.

Are you sure? Times say its going via Sandwell and Dudley not Bescot

AlexS

Established Member
Think that riot erupted when they came under abuse from photographers? Don't see how they have a point if they drive all over the country and don't contribute to the running of the tour myself. Also consider that bloody desperate for EH Duff!

Thought a fair few of the 47 crowd were a bit younger 40, at least those on VXC. That said you must remember there are at least a few perfectly soicable 47 bashers, some of whom probably have mileages to embarass this lot.

No problems with a bit of heads out from me, bit of comedy value in people going OTT.

A final question, was the stock coffins or early MkIIs?

Stock was two Wild West early Mk2s at each end sandwiching 3 Virgin and 1 Anglia aircons to make an 8 carriage set.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That'll be the spoon goons, 40/50-odd year olds who act like 2 year olds throwing a tantrum. They nick things, throw things, shout abuse.

And anyone under the age of 40 who has less than 1,000,000 miles behind 47s and hasn't been to Penzance and Wick behind a 47 who dares enter the front coach won't exactly get a warm welcome. SRPS have had a lot of problems with them that were well-documented last Summer.

They were like 2-year-olds, a lot of them were sleeping in the rear carriage (was front into Kyle)! Wusses! Top men eh? Like f**k...

We were certainly not welcome in that carriage! Indeed, we were relegated to the vestibule!

But then all traction followers are t***s really, bar the HST followers.

Status
Not open for further replies.