• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lincoln-Sheffield routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradders1983

Replacement buses are in operation this Sunday and someone I know holds a bog standard Sheffield-Lincoln Open return and wants to try and avoid buses on his way back from Lincoln to Sheffield.

Is this ticket valid to go Lincoln-Newark NG-Doncaster-Sheffield? If not, any ideas on how much the excess would be?

And yes he knows this route may take a bit longer time wise. He then goes on to Manchester on a separate ticket and the plan is to pick up the TPE train in Doncaster rather than Sheffield.

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

Routeing guide allows travel via Doncaster, but only on the weekdays direct, or via Retford, and not via Newark North Gate.

If I see correctly, the standard ticket is 14,20 to Sheffield, while adding via NNG gets it up to 27,60 (so I assume excess would be 13,40).

bradders1983

Routeing guide allows travel via Doncaster, but only on the weekdays direct, or via Retford, and not via Newark North Gate.

If I see correctly, the standard ticket is 14,20 to Sheffield, while adding via NNG gets it up to 27,60 (so I assume excess would be 13,40).

Is that the excess one way? He wont need to do it the day before as the line is open. Closure of the line is Lincoln-Worksop on the Sunday only.

Shame the EMT trains dont run Lincoln-Doncaster on Sundays, would have been a good alternative option.

Last edited:

Quakkerillo

Oh, sorry. Missed the return part.

If the return is 19,90 (no railcards), I can't yet find an appropriate fare for the return price of a Sheffield-Lincoln via Newark & Doncaster, although it'd be 50% of the difference in price for that.
I can find a Lincoln-Retford for 16,50 which would be valid with a 15:08 departure from Lincoln to travel via Newark to Doncaster, because that VTEC service will also call at Retford but I don't think that's ideal.

Maybe someone else can find the appropriate return fare to get an excess for this.

bradders1983

Oh, sorry. Missed the return part.

If the return is 19,90 (no railcards), I can't yet find an appropriate fare for the return price of a Sheffield-Lincoln via Newark & Doncaster, although it'd be 50% of the difference in price for that.
I can find a Lincoln-Retford for 16,50 which would be valid with a 15:08 departure from Lincoln to travel via Newark to Doncaster, because that VTEC service will also call at Retford but I don't think that's ideal.

Maybe someone else can find the appropriate return fare to get an excess for this.

The plan was to get that 1508 to NNG and pick up the VTEC train to Edinburgh that then stops at Doncaster, a tight 8 minute connection but he knows that. No point going to Retford as the line "downstairs" will be closed.

Yeah, he will only need to excess on the return Sunday journey.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Apparently its an ADVANCE SINGLE he holds for the Lincoln-Sheffield journey, he paid £12 for it and its for the booked train (now a bus) leaving Lincoln at 1430. Guessing this cant be excessed to go via Newark North gate anyway?

Last edited:

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If the booked train in the itinerary provided when the ticket was bought has now been replaced with a bus that will be slower, he could get a full refund on the original ticket though

bradders1983

If the booked train in the itinerary provided when the ticket was bought has now been replaced with a bus that will be slower, he could get a full refund on the original ticket though

It was down as a bus when he booked it and never realised until this week.

Hes just going to grin and bear the bus, only stops 3 times and 2 of those are just off the main road between Lincoln and Worksop anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.