• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Line between Patch Bridge and Midland Railway at Gossington (1912-22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for prototype inspiration for a small shelf layout and came across a curious rail line on the 1912-22 OS 25000 map of Gloucester (National Library of Scotland collection). There is a line from Patch Bridge (Gloucester and Berkley canal) to the Midland line from Birmingham to Bristol at Gossington. This line has rail spurs to 16 seemingly identical buildings each well spaced apart. Does anyone know what these are? My immediate thought was munitions storage or possibly production, but I haven't found any further information. The line and buildings are not shown on other maps of earlier or later vintage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
I assume the map you refer to is this one: https://maps.nls.uk/view/102342839
I would think this was a WW1 munitions depot - not only connected to the Midland Railway but also to the canal. As you say, it doesn't show up on any other later maps. Unlikely to be production of munitions - too little other infrastructure visible.

Gloster

Established Member
Slimbridge Munitions Depot. There is an article under that title on the site of the Gloucestershire Society for Industrial Archaeology.

Slimbridge Munitions Depot. There is an article under that title on the site of the Gloucestershire Society for Industrial Archaeology.
Thank you for your reply with further information, the article was interesting reading.

I assume the map you refer to is this one: https://maps.nls.uk/view/102342839
I would think this was a WW1 munitions depot - not only connected to the Midland Railway but also to the canal. As you say, it doesn't show up on any other later maps. Unlikely to be production of munitions - too little other infrastructure visible.
Yes that's the one, and having now seen how large the shell filling site at Quedgeley just South West of Gloucester was, this site could only have been for storage, as the document refered to by Gloster confirms.
Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.