• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Line speeds at Ashchurch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
When the track was renewed recently in the area around Ashchurch station, was the line speed increased? I'm sure it used to be 90mph, but now I've seen a sign saying 100mph. Is this correct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
When the track was renewed recently in the area around Ashchurch station, was the line speed increased? I'm sure it used to be 90mph, but now I've seen a sign saying 100mph. Is this correct?

No, the line speed has always been 100mph.

ABB125

Established Member
Right, OK. Would it be possible in the future to increase this to 125mph? Wasn't this proposed by Virgin at the start of privatisation? If HS2 services are extended from Birmingham to Bristol/Cardiff, would this encourage line speed increases?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Was a fair chunk planned to get raised to 100 down there, majority scaled back due to costs and the level crossings. Not enough bang for your buck. 125mph would be even more expensive.

BigCj34

Was a fair chunk planned to get raised to 100 down there, majority scaled back due to costs and the level crossings. Not enough bang for your buck. 125mph would be even more expensive.

Would electrification of this route provide some impetus for a line speed increase and removal of level crossings?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Possibly, I wouldnt expect 125 though. The crossings would go as part of the eventual closure of Gloucester.

Orchid

The removal of level crossings isn't intertwined with the clousure of Gloucester, the imminant resignalling from Five Ways to Ashchurch will see a large chunk of Gloucester being transferred to WMSC but the AHBs are remaining in situ. One MCG crossing is being replaced with an OD one but that's the only one.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Possibly, I wouldn't expect 125 though. The crossings would go as part of the eventual closure of Gloucester.

Hmm. Begging comment. I assume you mean the present station location but would your 'Glos Parkway' out on the mainline necessarily mean that a central station would not be needed for commuters and shoppers, etc?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yes, the box, not sure how you could associate the closure of level crossings with the station.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Ah, I see, forgivable, hopefully, to think The_Planner had more influence than he has. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.