• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Line speeds GWR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil.

Established Member
I believe that the current electifumcation on the GWR is only to Bristol T.M. (both routes) and Cardiff.
What are the maximum permitted speeds outside of these areas ie west of Cardiff and south-west of Brizzle? Are there any 125 mph bits - I can't remember now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I believe that the current electifumcation on the GWR is only to Bristol T.M. (both routes) and Cardiff.
What are the maximum permitted speeds outside of these areas ie west of Cardiff and south-west of Brizzle? Are there any 125 mph bits - I can't remember now.

In a word, no.
Most of the South Wales main line west of Patchway is 90/95mph, with a 4-mile section of 100 near Pyle.
There's 10 miles of 110mph around Weston, otherwise it's 100 max Bristol to Exeter.
The most westerly 125mph is west of Box Tunnel on the Bath route, and at Stoke Gifford on the Badminton route.
It's all in the online Sectional Appendix.
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse documents/sectional appendix/western sectional appendix.pdf

Last edited:

Phil.

Established Member
Thankyou. I didn't think that there were from my time occasionally galloping about but I didn't know if any upgrade work had been carried out.

initiation

Interesting, what is the reason for the Bristol - Exeter line being that speed? It's a fairly straight, flat route until near exeter. I guess the intermediate stops will also limit line speeds unless new passing loops were built.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Interesting, what is the reason for the Bristol - Exeter line being that speed? It's a fairly straight, flat route until near exeter. I guess the intermediate stops will also limit line speeds unless new passing loops were built.

It matches the speeds recently set on the Birmingham-Bristol line, so it's a fairly consistent set of speed limits for XC who are the main user as far as Taunton.
There are similar speeds on XC's Birmingham-Oxford route.
It's 125mph north of Birmingham towards Derby/Sheffield, however.

Johncleesefan

In a word, no.
Most of the South Wales main line west of Patchway is 90/95mph, with a 4-mile section of 100 near Pyle.
There's 10 miles of 110mph around Weston, otherwise it's 100 max Bristol to Exeter.
The most westerly 125mph is west of Box Tunnel on the Bath route, and at Stoke Gifford on the Badminton route.
It's all in the online Sectional Appendix.
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse documents/sectional appendix/western sectional appendix.pdf

Ha, Yeh only just through box by about 200 yards before it drops to 100 towards Bathampton.

highdyke

Level crossings probably, 100mph max over AHBs and problems with sighting on occupation crossings.

The Planner

Veteran Member

That is a timetable problem you would iron out, not anything that would influence line speed. You will probably find it is a lot of cash for not a lot of benefit, raising it from 110mph to 125mph over that distance will only get you just over ½ minute.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Was the original question related to bi-mode IEPs by any chance?

What the answers seem to suggest is that 125 mph sections off the wires are rare, and that the speed 'issue' with IEPs running on diesel is very much overplayed.

But I think this has also come up in one of the various IEP discussions...

Status
Not open for further replies.