Lines Not Nationalised in 1948

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by MK Tom, 27 Dec 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MK Tom

MK Tom Established Member

I read with interest that the Talyllyn Railway was never nationalised - it effectively passed directly from its original private operator to its current one in 1957.

Can someone tell me what other lines were left out of the 1948 nationalisation? I'm particularly interested in whether any standard gauge lines remained in private operation, or how long privately operated lines continued into the BR era.

Equally interesting would be any minor railways that weren't merged into the big four in 1923.

Thanks!

2. trash80

trash80 Member

The various London railways like the Metropolitan and District didn't join the Big 4 but they did become part of what is now the London Underground.

3. RichmondCommu

RichmondCommu Established Member

The Liverpool Over Head railway was never nationalised and closed in 1956.

4. Firesprite

Firesprite Member

The Manchester Ship Canal Railway was never nationalised and may be the biggest not to do so.

5. MK Tom

MK Tom Established Member

I guess another thread like this could be tramway and urban systems that stayed in private control rather than becoming municipal.

6. trash80

trash80 Member

Derwent Valley Light Railway, remained private and in operation until 1981.

7. randyrippley

randyrippley Member

I believe some of the London Docks and Harbour lines weren't absorbed, and I think that besides the Ship Canal, the Manchester Trafford Park network remained independent.
    I suspect there were probably other dock and industrial estate networks elsewhere

8. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

(From RCTS Locomotive Stock Books):-

Ashover Light Railway (closed 1950) **
    Corringham Light Railway (closed to passengers 1952; became an industrial line.)
    Easingwold Railway. (Closed 1957; loco hired from BR in last few years)
    Festiniog Railway **
    North Sunderland Railway (Closed 1951, loco hired from BR in last few years)
    Barrington Light Railway
    Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway **
    Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway **
    Snailbeach District Tramways ** (Closed 1950)
    Snowdon Mountain Railway **
    Stocksbridge Railway
    Tal-y-Llyn Railway **
    Leighton Buzzard Light Railway **
    Wissington Light Railway. (Became British Sugar Corporation industrial line, 1957)

** - Narrow guage.

plus, government owned, but never part of BR:
    Longmoor Military Railway & other military systems.

Railways in Northern Ireland & Isle of Man were also excluded from the nationalisation scheme, but Northern Ireland lines subsequently became part of Ulster Transport Authority (UTA) .

9. randyrippley

randyrippley Member

when was the Admiralty railway at Portland closed? Presumably thats another one?

10. alex17595

alex17595 Member

Was the Cromford and High peak railway nationalised?

11. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

What rationale was there for the exclusion of these lines? I can understand why narrow gauge lines such as the Ffestiniog and Talyllyn would be overlooked, but there are many names in Bevan Price's list that I'm unfamiliar with. (Would some have been separate railways, unconnected to the rest of the network?)

12. exile

exile Established Member

There were also many industrial lines, including of course those operated by the National Coal Board - which were nationalised but didn't come under the umbrella of British Railways.

13. RichmondCommu

Yes. Indeed it was closed by BR in 1967. For a while class 08's were trialed on the route. Some of the private sidings didn't last very long at all before the route was closed.

14. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

The Stocksbridge Line is interesting. It could be quite successful today as the bus/tram option is a bit slow into Sheffield City Centre/Meadowhall. Obviously Tata steel would have to allow a station to be built at their sidings next to the new retail park.

15. Timrud

Timrud Member

It is a single track at Stocksbridge?

16. RichmondCommu

Yes it is.

17. Timrud

Timrud Member

The line will need expanding - it is a real shame this has never been invested in.

18. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

It doesn't need expanding. It's very pie in the sky. Alternative transport methods exist.

However, the Stocksbridge branch joins a double-tracked mainline, so the single line isn't a major constraint. It would only ever need one DMU on the single track section at any one time long as paths are kept for the occasional steel train. All you'd need to do is build a single platform and a waiting shelter on one of the existing sidings at the end of the line. The hardest part would be finding a spare DMU. I even think TATA steel would be happy to allow it to run. I'm not sure what the speed limits are on the line and if there are any spare paths/capacity into Sheffield though.

In fact there has been a movement to reopen this railway to passenger traffic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Valley_Railway

Last edited: 27 Dec 2016
  19. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

The Easingwold & North Sunderland were both branches off ECML. They, and the others, were probably so small that they were not worth nationalising - and maybe considered financial liabilities.

I assume that all the standard guage lines had connections to the national network. Those without passenger services would be effectively industrial lines, but originally created by independent companies, rather than owned directly by industrial companies.

In addition to lines operated by the NCB, there were some large systems operated by ironstone mining companies, steelworks, and other industries. (See the books by Eric Tonks for more about ironstone rail systems (mainly) in the East Midlands; the Industrial Railway Society has published books about other systems.)

Most of the industrial railways had very basic (or no) signalling, with track unsuitable for main line locos. Those that were nationalised (NCB, steel industry, etc.) were best kept separate from BR - indeed some would have been built on privately owned land, and not required the Acts of Parliament necessary to build a "public" railway.

20. Merthyr Imp

Merthyr Imp Member

The Talyllyn actually passed from private ownership to the preservation society in 1951.

There's a suggestion it escaped nationalisation in 1948 'as officialdom thought it too run-down, and the level of traffic too low, to be worth taking over.'

Also in North Wales, the Corris Railway (which closed during 1948) and the Welshpool & Llanfair were both nationalised - but the difference was by that time they were both part of the Great Western Railway.

I believe the Festiniog escaped nationalisation because it had ceased operating in 1946, although the company was still in existence - as was the case with the narrow gauge Southwold Railway in East Anglia, but that had ceased operating in 1929.

Last edited: 27 Dec 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.