• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lines with long gaps between traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

montyburns56

The discussion about the first traffic on the Weaste line in many years and the return of a new freight flow to Moorswater has made me wonder what other lines have had such lengthy periods of no traffic? And by this I don't mean railtours/weedkilling trains/Inspections, but proper revenue earning trains. Also I'm not including lines that have been relaid/rebuilt in the interim period.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
I know this doesn't strictly fit the bill, but when the Rosyth branch reopens (if it does, it is currently mothballed) and a freight flow restarted on the line, then that would be a good contender.

I think you can also include the Heathfield branch which reopened for log traffic (which has since moved, I believe), the line to Portbury docks (which was never ripped up after closure in 1981, and will also see a passenger service when Portishead station reopens) and the Tytherington branch which is currently mothballed, but is due to see a new flow of aggregates.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Eccles Road went for years with nothing and now has trains as required into the sidings.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
How about the Greetland and Bradley sections of the Halifax - Huddersfield line, re-opened a few years ago? The Greetland section was used for a few years by a late night Kings Cross - Halifax - Bradford working after the withdrawal of Bradford - Halifax - Huddersfield service in the mid 1960's, but did the Bradley curve see any subsequent traffic? I don't think either line was ever lifted.

Harbornite

Established Member
Just thought of another one: the Long Marston branch, which is used fairly regularly but there are no booked freight flows and traffic varies, depending on circumstances. Another one is the branch to Donnington/ Telford railfreight terminal, used by sporadic freights.

dk1

Veteran Member
Eccles Road went for years with nothing and now has trains as required into the sidings.

They seem to be fairly regular. I have twice recently noticed the bright red wagons in the exchange sidings & the rails are often shiny now. Good to see.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Here's another one; the short stretch of track between the Midland Railway Centre at Swanwick and the Erewash Valley route. I'd be amazed if it see's use any more than a dozen times a year.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Pantyffynon to Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen enjoys one train a week now (I gather) .....

So the line's future hangs on a thread. (once coaling at East Pit stops - curtains I suspect)

MotCO

Established Member
To link in with a previous thread, what about the line from HS1 to the 'classic' Waterloo line (now occupied by discarded Eurostars).

Status
Not open for further replies.