• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lineside fly tipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I'm currently watching a You Tube driver-cam video posted very recently showing a journey from Glasgow Central to Manchester Airport. On the approach to Lancaster you can see horrendous fly tipping almost next to the track, and down the embankments from people's houses on the Rylands estate (Lord knows what they must be like).

On my travels I see this a lot. I now live in Maghull, just north of Liverpool, and see it a lot on Merseyside lines. West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester seem hotspots for the problem too. I don't see much in the Midlands and South. Are Network Rail more responsive down there or are people cleaner? Also, is this issue getting worse?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thecrofter

It's rife in the Midlands as well. Just depends where you look. The area maintenance teams will only have limited time and resource to effect "litter picking" as it may require a possession to do such so the ability to clean it up varies. As one may expect, it does seem to be worse in the more deprived areas and on Birmingham Cross City North for example, it's not too bad in the leafy green (more affluent) areas but the nearer to the City centre you get e.g. Gravelly Hill, where it is in a deep cutting, the fly tipping is most obvious at overbridge locations. Drives me mad!

Bigfoot

Rife in South West London too, on many lines, but the hounslow loop and Chessington branch lines stick out in my mind.

syorksdeano

The area around Bradford Interchange used to be a nightmare. Not been that way for a while so not sure if it has improved

theking

They should chuck it back into the offending gardens some of it is so blatant its unreal

anti-pacer

Established Member
They should chuck it back into the offending gardens some of it is so blatant its unreal

Totally agree with you on this. Surely there must be evidence amongst most of the rubbish to prosecute the scumbags.

sharpley

Dudding Hill line in north London. Its a freight only line but has a caravan site next to it. Literally tonnes of crap has been chucked over the fence lineside.

randyrippley

Established Member
I'm currently watching a You Tube driver-cam video posted very recently showing a journey from Glasgow Central to Manchester Airport. On the approach to Lancaster you can see horrendous fly tipping almost next to the track, and down the embankments from people's houses on the Rylands estate (Lord knows what they must be like)…………………………….

Rylands Estate, those two words are an explanation in themselves.
Stoning of buses, firebombing of fire engines and ambulances have been common there in the past. One Asian chap who ran the estate shop had to turn it into Fort Knox with barricaded windows and razor wire on the roof because the locals were intent on serious violence against him. He banned one cretin for thieving and the whole estate took it upon themselves to get revenge.

Its only a couple of years since that embankment was cleared of rubbish: whats built up is relatively recent.
FWIW the footpath alongside the railway bordering the estate is known as the "Khyber Pass" for a reason

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
When I lived in the UK and btw still own a house that backs onto the railway I confess I have tipped stuff onto the embankment. However, it has always been biodegradable- compostable. Grass cuttings, weeds, some small twigs etc. embankment looks great now. I will post a satellite image/ google earth for you all to look at when I get chance.

anti-pacer

Established Member
When I lived in the UK and btw still own a house that backs onto the railway I confess I have tipped stuff onto the embankment. However, it has always been biodegradable- compostable. Grass cuttings, weeds, some small twigs etc. embankment looks great now. I will post a satellite image/ google earth for you all to look at when I get chance.

Biodegradable things like grass cuttings is fine. You weren't throwing mattresses, old electrical items and children's toys over.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
We don't really need another thread discussing lineside rubbish. Please use one of the existing ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.