• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lineside Sign Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Fizz

Hi,

longtime reader, first-time poster!

I have a query regarding some 'signs' at my local station Tame Bridge. I can only describe them as raised whitish discs on metal sign plates and poles. There are three in a row just beyond the Birmingham- bound platform. Anybody know what there purpose is?

If you do a Google image search for 'Tame Bridge Parkway flooding' the first result from a Flickr site shows them nicely, in between the temporary signs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
I'd say that they're the equivalent of 'off' indicators, indicating to the driver of a freight train that the signal (in rear of the train) is cleared for a propelling movement (into Bescot?)

Freightmaster

Established Member
If you do a Google image search for 'Tame Bridge Parkway flooding' the first result from a Flickr site shows them nicely, in between the temporary signs.
Picture here:

558002311_9904d7f811_b.jpg

najaB

Veteran Member
Are they actually signs? Are they perhaps bells to warn track workers?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think Tomnick is right. They look just like (and may actually be) bulkhead light fittings, and are also used on staff crossings at platform ends to indicate when it is safe to cross.

najaB

Veteran Member
I think Tomnick is right. They look just like (and may actually be) bulkhead light fittings, and are also used on staff crossings at platform ends to indicate when it is safe to cross.
I was thinking that they might be, but they aren't normally perpendicular to the track but rather parallel.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Nothing shown on the signalling diagrams, the seem too close to Newton Junction to be of any use as length indicators for propelling back.

D6975

Established Member
There used to be a white light on the northbound line just south of Stapleton Road station, facing north (ie visible looking 'backwards'). Its purpose was to inform the driver of the Avon binliner that the points had been set for reversal into the siding at Lawrence Hill. Could this possibly be a similar thing?

najaB

Veteran Member
Could this possibly be a similar thing?
One would expect it to be listed on the signalling diagrams and as ThePlanner points out, they aren't and are also rather close to the junction for that purpose.

Mr Fizz

Took a closer look this morning (as close as I could get without looking suspicious!) and they look like wall lights mounted on poles but they are in need of a scrub so you can't really tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.