• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Linespeeds in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

devon_metro

Established Member
At the current moment in time what is the highest permitted speed in the UK (bar the Eurostar)

I'm being told i am false that is is 125...

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

It is 125mph. However, just north of peterborough there is a 5th aspect on the signals that used to (not sure if it still does) permit trains to run up to 140mph when they were testing mk4s and 91s.

Craig

Established Member
IIRC trains can still run up to 140mph under the 5th aspect, but only under special authorisation on test trains and the like. 140 was also planned for sections of the WCML, but that's all been cut back to 125.

So yeah, barring any special circumstances (and Eurostar), 125mph is the highest permitted speed.

Guinness

Established Member
Virgin and Network Rail are investigating the idea of running Pendolinos (Which are more than capable of 140mph) to run at 135mph in parts between Rugley Trent Valley and Rugby. It will only apply to EPS Trains anyway (Pendolinos & 91s are the only trains certified to run at 140mph) because of some sections having tilt involved.

Virgin claim that because of the superior and quicker braking capability of Pendolinos that 135mph would be achievable with current lineside signalling, with a few alterations to Signalling Block Sections. VT time scale for completion (if this goes ahead) is December 2008. Perhaps Network Rail will be more 'open' and 'accepting' to the idea after Greyrigg, in a way of small compensation to VT? A theory of mine anyway....

Nick W

Established Member
Virgin and Network Rail are investigating the idea of running Pendolinos (Which are more than capable of 140mph) to run at 135mph in parts between Rugley Trent Valley and Rugby. It will only apply to EPS Trains anyway (Pendolinos & 91s are the only trains certified to run at 140mph) because of some sections having tilt involved.

Virgin claim that because of the superior and quicker braking capability of Pendolinos that 135mph would be achievable with current lineside signalling, with a few alterations to Signalling Block Sections. VT time scale for completion (if this goes ahead) is December 2008. Perhaps Network Rail will be more 'open' and 'accepting' to the idea after Greyrigg, in a way of small compensation to VT? A theory of mine anyway....

How will this affect the 9 second signal sighting rule?

ntanswell

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/documents/3150_2004businessplannetworkcapability.pdf

Line speeds etc are shown above, although slightly out of date

125mph is in force (excluding key junction/station areas):

Acton-Bristol Parkway/Box tunnel
Woolmer Green-Edinburgh
Willesden-South Glasgow
East of Birmingham-Derby
Wolverhampton-Stafford
Parts of Bristol-Taunton route (I think)

High speed stretches (90/100mph or more)

Stratford-Norwich
Clapham Junction - Exeter, Weymouth
Clapham Junction - Brighton
Berks and Hants
Didcot North - Birmingham
Starcross-Taunton
Parts of Highland Mainline
Parts of Edinburgh-Aberdeen
Glasgow-Edinburgh
Trans-Pennine North routes (parts)
Parts of Norwich-North West
North London-Kings Lynn
South Wales main line
Midland main line
Cotswold Line
Parts of Golden Valley route
Parts of London-SE network

I'm sure there's other bits I've forgotten but that's main parts

Birmingham to Bristol is mainly 100mph.

Established Member
Clapham Junction - Weymouth salsibury varies , heading towards london just after woking its 100 , head south its about 90 - 95 I think* through surbiton its about 95 although some Have been at 100 through clapham its 40 then heading south speeds to 60 then 90 , wimbeldon 90 - 95 after the curve from the north direction some can speed up near to 100 if its a good working 444

ntanswell

Clapham Junction - Weymouth salsibury varies , heading towards london just after woking its 100 , head south its about 90 - 95 I think* through surbiton its about 95 although some Have been at 100. through clapham its 40 then heading south speeds to 60 then 90 , wimbeldon 90 - 95 after the curve from the north direction some can speed up near to 100 if its a good working 444

777fred refers to it being 40mph through Clapham, although this is hard to notice as there is a full stop missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.