• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

List of Bay Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Centric

Is there a list of bay platforms on the underground anywhere? I have been unable to find one.

If not, if anyone is able to provide all or part of one in this thread then it would assist future googlers and if we ever meet (perhaps at a forum fares workshop) then I shall buy you a drink or other refreshment. I am surely not the fist person to have wondered this!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

biko

Maybe the great map of Cartometro is useful? It shows all tracks and platforms of the Underground and I believe it is fairly accurate.

A quick look at the map suggests bays at the following stations that are not a terminus:
- Edgware Road (2)
- Aldgate (2)
- Baker Street (2 on the Metropolitan line)
- Chalfont & Latimer

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
Maybe the great map of Cartometro is useful? It shows all tracks and platforms of the Underground and I believe it is fairly accurate.

A quick look at the map suggests bays at the following stations that are not a terminus:
- Edgware Road (2)
- Aldgate (2)
- Chalfont & Latimer

Can add a couple more:

Moorgate (2)
Plaistow (1)
Barking (1)
Dagenham East (1)
Tower Hill (1 - now more of a through road)
High Street Kensington (2)
Woodford (1)

Putney Bridge and Mansion House have both disappeared in the last few years.

ls2270

Established Member
I'm expecting that pub meets will resume very soon ;)

In the meantime I'd agree that Carto Metro is your best bet

Isn't that a reversible through road?
Ah well there’s something I’ve learned tonight! I always thought that was a bay platform but researching it now I see you’re quite correct!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

- Edgware Road (2)
Edgware Road does not, however, have bays; all four platforms can be used as through platforms although it is correct that most services terminate and reverse in the middle two platforms.

The lines numbered 25 and 26 on the map are sidings.

Cdd89

Established Member
Plaistow, though I don’t think it’s ever used?

Also Rickmansworth on that basis, but not used by LU.

Journeyman

Established Member

- Edgware Road (2)
- Aldgate (2)
- Chalfont & Latimer
Chalfont & Latimer hasn't been used for some time, as it isn't long enough for an S8 train. Only 4-car A Stock trains could use it, so the service runs to/from the Met main line all day now. As such, is the bay still there?

Cdd89

Established Member
Also Willesden Jct has a bay platform on the Bakerloo (pl 1-3) for overground use!

rebmcr

Established Member
Chalfont & Latimer hasn't been used for some time, as it isn't long enough for an S8 train. Only 4-car A Stock trains could use it, so the service runs to/from the Met main line all day now. As such, is the bay still there?
It's not outside the realm of possibility that a train becomes partially-damaged one day and an S4 is formed!

Or would that be an "S8-4" or "S7-3", following the naming convention established with the "S7+1"...

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Can add a couple more:

Moorgate (2)
Plaistow (1)
Barking (1)
Dagenham East (1)
Tower Hill (1 - now more of a through road)
High Street Kensington (2)
Woodford (1)

Putney Bridge and Mansion House have both disappeared in the last few years.
On a practical level Tower Hill remains a bay road; indeed, one set of points is due to be plain lined in the near future.
Plaistow, though I don’t think it’s ever used?

Also Rickmansworth on that basis, but not used by LU.
Plaistow has a number of booked workings and is frequently used to short trip late H&Cs.

Rickmansworth is now disconnected from the mainline following a bridge replacement a few years back.
Chalfont remains operational and has been used for stabling engineering vehicles since the withdrawal of the Chesham shuttle.

biko

Edgware Road does not, however, have bays; all four platforms can be used as through platforms although it is correct that most services terminate and reverse in the middle two platforms.

The lines numbered 25 and 26 on the map are sidings.
I’ve looked a bit too quickly, Cartometro indeed also doesn’t show platforms.

jumble

I was going to "scold" you for this but actually it completely fits my criteria and furthermore the initial reason I asked was wondering if aldgate actually was buffer stops for the met line. So thanks!
Could you share your criteria with us

Lewlew

Is the Bakerloo line the only line to have zero bay platforms, even at the terminus stations? Willesden Junction doesn't count as it's an Overground station and the bay platform isn't long enough for Bakerloo trains.

Victoria line also maybe? It has sidings beyond the end of the platforms at the ends of the line, any bay platform elsewhere on the line?

bramling

Veteran Member
Is the Bakerloo line the only line to have zero bay platforms, even at the terminus stations? Willesden Junction doesn't count as it's an Overground station and the bay platform isn't long enough for Bakerloo trains.

Victoria line also maybe? It has sidings beyond the end of the platforms at the ends of the line, any bay platform elsewhere on the line?

Seven Sisters platform 4 is sometimes referred to as “Seven Sisters bay”, but it isn’t really a bay in the true sense.

I would regard a bay as a separate terminal platform alongside one or more through platforms. So for me that would rule out locations like Seven Sisters, North Greenwich, Golders Green, etc. Indeed for any operating purposes staff would refer to these as the “the middle” or the “middle platform”.

On that score, I would say that the Victoria, Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines all lack bay roads. The Bakerloo depends on whether you wish to count Willesden Junction - it’s for sure a bay road on the Bakerloo route, just that Bakerloo trains can’t use it!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is platform 3 at Mudchute an acceptable answer, or is the DLR system out of scope?

Lewlew

Thanks; is Carte Metro out of date for there then? ( I'll have a closer look at the track next time I pass through )
Carto Metro is correct. One of the sidings (26 road) is greyed out. Although it's actually 26 road that is still in use, with 25 road gone.

Hey 3

Charing Cross has 2 disused bays (the disused tracks are dead end ones) on the Jubille Line, it was abandoned as part of the JLE. It is still in use as a reversing siding when the line between Green Park and Stratford is blocked.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Charing Cross has 2 disused bays (the disused tracks are dead end ones) on the Jubille Line, it was abandoned as part of the JLE. It is still in use as a reversing siding when the line between Green Park and Stratford is blocked.
They’re not bays. There are substantial tunnels continuing beyond the end of the platforms, as part of the projected future alignment (never realised) of the-then Fleet line.

Rogmi

Carto Metro is correct. One of the sidings (26 road) is greyed out. Although it's actually 26 road that is still in use, with 25 road gone.
I'll pass that on to Franklin. That was probably my error when going over the information.

bramling

Veteran Member
Would Bank Station count on The W&C line??

It all depends on how one defines a bay, but the typical railway definition of a bay platform is one or more terminal platforms alongside one or more through ones. No one in the industry would be referring to terminal platforms as a bay unless in the configuration described above.

trainmania100

Established Member
Doesn't Kensington Olympia have a bay platform for district line trains ? Or is that a thing of the past now ?
Google maps shows a S stock going into the bay platform

Status
Not open for further replies.