• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

List of parliamentary trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzer

Established Member
Is there a list of parliamentary trains anywhere? I can't seem to find one. I suppose one issue is defining the cut-off on what constitutes a parliamentary train, but I would have thought that surely someone has made such a list.

Also, are they supposed to be in timetables? Many of them are, but I just recently learned of the 0753 from Chester to Runcorn, and can't find it on the big National Rail timetable at all (and yes, I am looking at the Summer one).

Although they are obviously a big waste, I think it's such an odd practice they should be kept running just for interest ;)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

To me, the definition would be the bare minimum service required for a line to legally remain open, which I believe is a once weekly service in one direction.

Shimbleshanks

Is there a list of parliamentary trains anywhere? I can't seem to find one. I suppose one issue is defining the cut-off on what constitutes a parliamentary train, but I would have thought that surely someone has made such a list.

Also, are they supposed to be in timetables? Many of them are, but I just recently learned of the 0753 from Chester to Runcorn, and can't find it on the big National Rail timetable at all (and yes, I am looking at the Summer one).

Although they are obviously a big waste, I think it's such an odd practice they should be kept running just for interest ;)

This should tell you everything you need to know:

http://www.psul4all.free-online.co.uk/2012.htm

Established Member
Chester - Runcorn is definitely in one of the Northern timetables, might be either Chester - Manchester or the Ellesmere Port one.

gnolife

Established Member
Its in the Chat Moss timetable (Manchester to Liverpool via Newton).

Chester 0753
Runcorn 0813

Johnny Lewis

This train SHOULD appear in Table 81 of the National Rail Timetable, but it needs to be entered manually, as being shown to run from Chester to Runcorn East, with a footnote at Runcorn East specifying that the call here is "Runcorn (Mainline) and the time shown is an arrival time."

Could be just one of the tiny reasons why Network Rail are asking for "volunteers" (unpaid one assumes) to help them with the arduous job of editing the NRT. Once upon a time this was done by dedicated teams in the regional offices, that actually understood what the local train services were, and knew about these little quirks. Has anyone checked to see if the Stockport - Stalybridge train has made it onto Table 78; this also required manual insertion?

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Had a random thought earlier, doesn't really merit it's own thread.

There is a lot of fuss around short stretches of track having a 'Parliamentary' service, particularly at the moment with this one in London having its service withdrawn.

It made me think - does the stretch of line between Yeovil Junction and Yeovil Pen Mill have a 'Parly' service? I don't think it does (though am willing to be corrected if such is the case!) - how come? And are there any other such stretches that seem like they should have one, but don't?

In another thread the Gerrard's Cross - Paddington daily service has been said to exist in order to retain route knowledge of that stretch of line; who has route knowledge of the Yeovil chord?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In another thread the Gerrard's Cross - Paddington daily service has been said to exist in order to retain route knowledge of that stretch of line; who has route knowledge of the Yeovil chord?

SWT have the route knowledge, but their fairly regular route retention services all run as ECS. A route retention move over a line with no normal passenger service doesn't automatically become a parliamentary.

As an example, the Laverstock chord east of Salisbury has had a XC passenger service on odd occasions over the last few years, but it currently does not. XC still run that way in the current timetable, but all ECS. That wouldn't count as a passenger service closure.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Chester-Runcorn
Paddington-Gerrards cross
Ellesmere port-Helsby
Ellesmere port-warrington
Doncaster-Gainsborough line (Don't know exact destinations)
Kensington olympia-Wandsworth road
Stockport-stalybridge

Note
These arn't all of the Parlimentary services, just off the top of my head

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
AFAIK Doncaster-Gainsborough Lea Rd isn't classed as parliamentary, nor is the Ellesmere Port service beyond Helsby to Warrington, I think the extensions are for stock positioning.

Robinson

Doncaster-Gainsborough Lea Road is definitely not a parly.

Retford-Barnetby via Gainsborough Central was probably the line ATWalex101 was looking for.

tbtc

Veteran Member

Retford-Barnetby via Gainsborough Central was probably the line ATWalex101 was looking for.

Even the Gainsborough Central line gets more than the requirements to keep the line open (three return journeys on a Saturday).

Infrequent and irregular services (like the Ellesmere Port one that always gets brought up) are a whole different kettle of fish to a Parliamentary service

ATW Alex 101

Established Member

yep, I did state I don't know the exact destinations, I just know the train passes through them stations

34D

Established Member
It made me think - does the stretch of line between Yeovil Junction and Yeovil Pen Mill have a 'Parly' service? I don't think it does (though am willing to be corrected if such is the case!) - how come?

Doesn't the down sleeper go that way on sunday nights?

Status
Not open for further replies.